The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It becomes their neighborhood when they have a stake in it. I'm betting the rioters own no property, no business, no stake.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #17
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"Nobody actually burned their own house, right?"

"It becomes their neighborhood when they have a stake in it."

In the context of this thread (my anecdote and Baltimore): 'home' is synonymous with 'town' and 'community'.

As for having a stake: again, 'to burn out the pharmacy where you get your medicines, the grocery where you get your food, and the old folks' homes where your granny lives is craziness.'
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #18
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Sumthin' else: (again, borrowing from my anecdote)
George has pissed me off and naturally (for me) I want redress.
I would, however, view with great suspicion the interest of strangers in my circumstance. ... #
But Henry, you've changed the specifics of the situation.

Try stating your case in terms of:
"Mr George is my neighbor cop who beat up my nephew."
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #19
henry quirk

All more the reason for me to mebbe burn down HIS house (with him in it).

Sure as shit I won't burn down my own, won't burn out the neighbor on the other side of me who has done nuthin.

And: I would still view offers of help from strangers with great suspicion, wondering what they hope to gain ridin’ on the coat tails of MY circumstance.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
As for having a stake: again, 'to burn out the pharmacy where you get your medicines, the grocery where you get your food, and the old folks' homes where your granny lives is craziness.'
There's 3 drugstores on every block, but no groceries, you gotta go to whitey's neighborhood for food. Who the fuck can afford to put grannie in a home, she'll die on the sofa in the parlor, where she's been for years.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #21
henry quirk

Bruce, can you post where you got this information ("3 drugstores on every block, but no groceries")?

And: it ain't an old folks home, but a Senior Center got wasted, ya know, where granny goes for bingo.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #22
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

it's quite amazing henry that you have granted immediate collectivist responsibility to a group of people to the point where their interests are described in ownership terms ("their" house, "their" pharmacy).

~ but you yourself find collective responsibility abhorrent ~

in fact if "your" pharmacy was burning and the fire could be put out with your own water you would say you had no interest in the situation and it is not your business and they should manage their own affairs
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #23
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Technically, the construction site where granny might eventually have gone for bingo. AND, apparently, might eventually have lived.
Quote:
The project, planned as roughly 60 senior-citizen apartments and a community center, has been in the works since at least 2006. It is being built by The Woda Group, a low-income housing developer.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Baltimore... Molotov cocktails?
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #25
henry quirk

If a man burns down his own home out of anger at another, this is crazy.

If a group of folks burn down their neighborhood (its businesses) out of anger at the cops, this is crazy.

That's my point...thanks for straying from it...thanks for makin' your distaste for me known (again).

The distaste goes both ways, I assure you.

#

"in fact if "your" pharmacy was burning and the fire could be put out with your own water you would say you had no interest in the situation and it is not your business and they should manage their own affairs"

Mebbe...but then I wouldn't have started the fire in the first place, so...

Then, again: if that pharmacy was the only one available to me, if I depended on that pharmacy for medicine, I might very well be on the bucket brigade...it's called self interest.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #26
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
My nephew lives with me...I could not love him more if he were my son...he's not the fruit of my loins but he's mine.
That's cool. Very cool, in fact. I have a fair amount of respect for people who raise children that aren't "their's". Not too long back I saw a 50-ish year old man moved to tears when the 20 year old beside him referred to him as "my dad for all intents and purposes. He's been more of a father to me than my dad ever was."

Good on ya, Mr. Quirk.

As you were, people.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #27
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Rioting is an expression of anger with no outlet - and it is not directed inwards at all. Those who see this in terms of inwardly directed destruction, such as burning down one's own house, or destroying one's own community, presuppose a sense of community which includes shops and businesses. For many people, and I would imagine this is particularly acute for young people, their sense of community is much narrower.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #28
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
If a group of folks burn down their neighborhood (its businesses) out of anger at the cops, this is crazy.
Who started the fires, and how those specific people relate to the "they" whose neighborhood it is? Do you know more than has been reported?

The protest drew people from all over the city, not to mention the country. It drew people who supported the cause, and it drew people who just like to riot at protests. We know nothing about the perpetrators.

Essentially, you lied to your nephew.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #29
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:

All more the reason for me to mebbe burn down HIS house (with him in it).
<snip>
Should that be interpreted that it is OK to settle grievances against law enforcement,
so long as only the jails, the police stations, cop cars, or local cop's personal houses
... are torched ?
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #30
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
That's my point...thanks for straying from it...thanks for makin' your distaste for me known (again).

The distaste goes both ways, I assure you.
I assure you it doesn't. Respectful disagreement is what I founded this place for. Mature people discuss issues without considering it personal. I will point out flaws in your argument without finding you unworthy, and I will field flaws in my own argument without feeling diminished.

Quote:
"in fact if "your" pharmacy was burning and the fire could be put out with your own water you would say you had no interest in the situation and it is not your business and they should manage their own affairs"

Mebbe...
No "mebbe" about it, if this question had come up in any other thread, you'd be demanding that you have no involvement. I'm not being accusatory here, this is your basic philosophy.

Quote:
but then I wouldn't have started the fire in the first place, so...
Either they are LITERALLY BURNING THEIR OWN PHARMACIES, or you have constructed a shitty analogy that doesn't even jive with your own basic philosophy. I'm going with B.

And it's a straw man. You have created an analogy that makes no sense: why would someone burn down their own house? It's not their house. It's not their pharmacy. It's not their grocery. I know you agree, it's your basic philosophy. So if you still don't understand, that's entirely on you. You wrote the analogy that you don't understand! Why don't you describe the terms more realistically and see if you understand that?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote