The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 02-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #46
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

I hate being beat. I hate knowing that another 5% of effort from me could have made something happen, and that I stopped short. I love to win. I love staking out high peaks and getting their first.

I think a big part of my life has been defined by that drive. I wouldn't be the same person creatively without it. I wouldn't be able to sustain a career in this industry without it.

So, yes, I will be doing what I can to pass that on to my kids. I will do what I can to teach them that most of the best things in life are hard to do, and that you have to push yourself to the limit of your capacity to make them work.

I hope they love to win. I hope they aren't content with "trying".
Old 02-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #47
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #48
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
I hate being beat. I hate knowing that another 5% of effort from me could have made something happen, and that I stopped short. I love to win. I love staking out high peaks and getting their first.

I think a big part of my life has been defined by that drive. I wouldn't be the same person creatively without it. I wouldn't be able to sustain a career in this industry without it.

So, yes, I will be doing what I can to pass that on to my kids. I will do what I can to teach them that most of the best things in life are hard to do, and that you have to push yourself to the limit of your capacity to make them work.

I hope they love to win. I hope they aren't content with "trying".
YES
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #49
GunMaster357
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
My older daughter is very competitive but always with a sense of fair-play. As an artist as well as a fencer, she sees the beauty in the action and appreciates the intellectual exercise. A while back she got beaten in a pretty intense bout and I made sure she congratulated the girl again after she cooled off. There are formalities in fencing that are observed to assist in keeping the passion confined to the strip. I had a bout go to la belle a couple months ago and I saluted my opponent as is expected. He failed to return the salute. After the bout another fencer approached me saying he was glad to see me win after my opponent failed to observe a nicety that helps people focus on respect for their opponents.
That's not about winning, more about courtesy on the game field. Yet, that attitude usually comes with winning "at all costs".

In whatever activity, if someone beats me fair and square, well, I'll try to understand why and, if possible, learn how to do it.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #50
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The ability to win or lose gracefully is on the wane. This saddens me.

I had a friend (who is older than I) once remark that a team came in second in the Superbowl. I think this remark was driven by the mantelful of soccer participation trophies her daughters had gathered.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote