The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
freshnesschronic
Professor

Speaking in tongues

Glossolalia - speaking in tongues.

My girlfriend said her aunt was speaking in tongues talking directly to Jesus when she was hospitalized, but my girl describes her aunt as a religious fanatic and calls it out as BS....

I have no personal experience other than that, what do you think....

Real or no?
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

This is a deep and foundational part of Pentecostalism. It's a fascinating offshoot of Protestantism. I attended an Apostolic (one of many Pentecostal denominations) revival service one time with probably 100 people in it. They are big on laying of hands and speaking in tongues. In short, they see speaking in tongues as a sign that the Holy Spirit has personally touched someone and they are of pure heart and faith. Supposed to be an angelic language or something like that, and there are elders within the church that are supposed to translate the gibberish for the rest of the people. Personally I call BS, but whatever floats your boat. Among this branch of Christianity also lie the equally fascinating snake handling folks.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Real to whom? Certainly not to anyone that can't understand the "tongues". But I suppose it's real to the ones doing it.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I knew someone who grew up in that type of church Bullitt. She couldn't properly speak in tongues when she was nine so the church told her she was harboring the devil or something crazy like that. She had some definite self esteem issues so I'm assuming that didn't help.

Speaking in tongues just seems like one of the many ways that people "speak to God". My scientific guess is that they all activate the same part of the brain that can give the illusion of communicating to a higher power. But telling people they are delusional can be messy business when you've never experienced it yourself. I try to stay away from it unless God is telling them to do something dangerous.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's funny because, in the Bible, people "speaking in tongues" were alleged to be speaking actual languages that they didn't happen to know, such that those in the audience who did speak that language could understand. The gibberish thing came later.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Juniper
I know, right?

When I was a freshman in HS a friend introduced me to this guy, who was a junior, and we dated for a while. Problem was his parents were born-again Christians and thought that I, who attended a Catholic school, was unfit for their boy. So the only way they'd let us go out was if we would first attend one of their church services. This restricted our dates to Wednesday or Sunday, at least as far as they knew.

So the first time he took me to Wed. night service, I'd never been to that kind of church. Seemed nice at first, a little cheesy compared to what I was used to.

Then in the middle of the service, this woman stood up and started spouting gibberish at the top of her lungs.

I looked at my BF, eyes round as platters, certain that this poor woman was having some kind of seizure and baffled that nobody was coming to her assistance. He whispered, "they do that here," and "I'll explain later." It was all I could do, then, not to burst out laughing, but somehow I managed not to. I still don't know how I did it; I was fourteen, after all. You know how giggly young teen girls can be!

When his parents told me my Catholic Bible wasn't "a real Bible" I sort of lost interest in ever trying to please them. Oh well, new boyfriend a couple months later. Great story to tell though.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The Church I used to go to in Leicester was big on speaking in tongues. I noticed that every person who did so only had a limited repetoire of nonsence syllables that they repeated. It's quite hard to make repeatedly use words that are not real words it seems. One woman always used the syllable "choc". Given that the service was over two hours long and started at 11.00 I always wondered if she was hungry.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

If I had to choose an activity that would whip me into an emotional state, I would choose an American Indian or African drum dance, a football game or a concert.

It is no secret that groups of people feed of other peoples emotions,and groups of people can be led close to a hypnotic state.

To me it seems like an exercise in self indulgence. I don't believe there is any biblical basis for it either.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
It's funny because, in the Bible, people "speaking in tongues" were alleged to be speaking actual languages that they didn't happen to know, such that those in the audience who did speak that language could understand. The gibberish thing came later.
This is what I had thought too, spot on.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Read Snow Crash for an interesting take on speaking in tongues. It's a novel, but the ideas are interesting.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

The Third level of tequlia drinking... Speaking in Tongues.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There are five levels of drinking.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #13
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I always heard it as a short joke, the three levels of tequila drinking.
1. The amorous phase. "I love you man.!"
2. The aggressive phase. "I'm go'na kick yer ass!"
3. Speaking in Tongues.... "woererearempmp mmepapbbassxfccttturw...."