The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #991
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

@ Zen: I love that Big Butter Jesus (or Touchdown Jesus Part Deux) has made international news. It's been quite the talk around here. Many of us have seen that monstrosity. A friend told me his kid would be upset because she knows when she saw Jebus that King's Island was just a little farther away. We had a fire alarm at the school the day after it happened and as we made our way down the stairwell I heard another administrator say "If it can happen to Butter Jesus it can happen to any of us."

Here's a link for more info: http://www.whiotv.com/news/23901668/detail.html

Check out the slideshow. I find the "after" photo to be particularly hilarious.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #992
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I just looked at the pictures. Didn't his mother ever tell him to get out of the lake if there was lightning? Jeez.

If they rebuild him I think they should use marshmallows.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #993
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Yeah, they built a giant lightning rod made of flammable materials set into a lake. And attached it to a building! What moron of an insurance company covered THAT?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #994
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

He will rise again.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #995
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Faith based engineering at its finest. You see, all the intelligence went into the other design.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #996
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Puesta Del Sol Elementary Temporarily Put On Lockdown

Quote:
Calif. -- Brawling parents interrupted a Southern California kindergarten graduation ceremony.

School officials placed Puesta del Sol Elementary in desert Victorville on lockdown Wednesday morning after a fight broke out among a group of parents.

San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Karen Hunt said witnesses told deputies several mothers were involved in a verbal argument and it got physical in a field near the ceremony. Several men then jumped into the fray and the incident turned into a brawl.
Link
Old 06-29-2010, 05:15 AM   #997
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

A motor racing executive died reportedly after an extreme S&M session with an infamous Belgian dominatrix and her assistant.
He was identified Friday as Robin Mortimer, the 58-year-old founder of RPM Motorsport, a British touring car team. He was in Belgium for this weekend's International GT Open.
Mistress Lucrezia, 46, and Mistress Juno, 38, were arrested at their villa near Brecht, Belgium, and charged with assault and battery following the death on Tuesday afternoon.
Authorities in Antwerp said he may have died after being given nitrous oxide; also known as laughing gas and used as an anesthetic to prolong sadistic sex sessions.
On her website Mistress Lucrezia warns she offers "bondage, humiliation, torture, education and cross-dressing" with sessions lasting between one hour and three days. She is said to be a regular guest of the British S&M scene.
Het Nieuwsblad newspaper reported that Mortimer's family reacted with shock when they were told of the apparent circumstances of his death.
An earlier statement from the family read: "It is understood that Robin died of natural causes in his sleep at a hotel in Belgium while traveling with his team en route to Spa Francorchamps.
"Alex Mortimer, Robin's British GT Championship-winning son, hopes to compete in the International GT Open taking place at Spa this weekend, June 26-27, alongside Peter Bamford, in honor of his father.
"Robin's wife Bridget, fondly known as Biddy, and Alex are grateful for the continued messages of condolence and support but respectfully request privacy at this difficult time."
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #998
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
N Korea seeks $65 trillion in compensation

Cash-strapped North Korea has demanded the United States pay almost $US65 trillion in compensation for six decades of hostility.

The official North Korean news agency, KCNA, says the cost of the damage done by the US since the peninsula was divided in 1945 is estimated at $US64.96 trillion.

The compensation call comes on the eve of the 60th anniversary of the start of the 1950-1953 Korean War.

KCNA said the figure includes $US26.1 trillion arising from US "atrocities" which left more than 5 million North Koreans dead, wounded, kidnapped or missing.

The agency also claims 60 years of US sanctions have caused a loss of $US13.7 trillion by 2005, while property losses were estimated at $US16.7 trillion.

The agency said North Koreans have "the justifiable right" to receive the compensation for their blood.

It said the committee's calculation did not include the damage North Korea had suffered from sanctions after its first nuclear test in 2006.

- AFP
Those wacky NorKors crack me up.

You guys better pay up, I hear they have a really good lawyer.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #999
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
You guys better pay up, I hear they have a really good lawyer.
Kim Jong-ilberg
Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #1000
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Man Kills Toddler For Crying During World Cup Match, cops say
McALLEN, Texas -- Police have arrested a man accused of fatally beating his 2-year-old stepdaughter when she wouldn't stop crying as he watched a World Cup game. McAllen police say 27-year-old Hector Castro was charged Monday with murder. He was being held on $1 million bail.

Firefighters and emergency medical personnel had been called to the house Saturday in reference to the girl's apparent choking on a screw, McAllen Police Chief Victor Rodriguez said. But after a cursory examination of the girl, whose name was not released by police, it was clear the screw had nothing to do with her death, police said.
"There are no words for this," said Rodriguez. "It makes you want to think about doing lots of things to this guy, but he will face the criminal justice system just like everybody else."
Castro, an undocumented immigrant, gave investigators a confession that implicated himself in the girl's death, Rodriguez said. Police Chief Victor Rodriguez says Castro told investigators that the toddler wouldn't stop crying while he was trying to watch the U.S.-Ghana matchup on Saturday.
I'm thankful Texas still has the death penalty.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #1001
classicman

Quote:
"Castro, an undocumented immigrant"
Sorry Bruce, but he ain't gonna fry ... even thought he's an asshat that deserves much worse than death.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #1002
SamIam

I thought that undocumented aliens had to obey the law the same as everyone else and faced the same penalties if they don't. What? Has Texas made an exception for them?
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #1003
classicman

I dunno, I think they may get deported.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #1004
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I thought that undocumented aliens had to obey the law the same as everyone else and faced the same penalties if they don't. What? Has Texas made an exception for them?
Not only are they "undocumented", they are also illegal and are breaking US law by being here "undocumented".
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #1005
SamIam

If you do some checking you will discover that illegal aliens are clearly subject to US jurisdiction while on our soil. They are punished for the crimes they commit here in the US exactly the way a US citizen would be. The only difference is that once an illegal has served his jail term, he gets deported.

Merc, I never said illegal aliens weren't breaking the law by being here undocumented. Of course they are.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote