The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-22-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I heard a humorous send up of the 'gun crisis' in the US at the moment on a local radio station the other day. They were generally discussing it on a talk back station when one of the hosts popped up and said, "The answer to the gun crisis in America is more guns".

I thought this was interesting. Not only because it was funny to hear at the time, but also because that seems to be the general concensus. Ironic really.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:04 AM   #2
freshnesschronic
Professor

The general consensus (that's how we spell it in the States)? That's news to me.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
The general consensus (that's how we spell it in the States)? That's news to me.
Not only is it news, it is a stupid notion.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well, gun proponents would have us believe we'd all be safer if we all had guns right? How many times in this thread alone have we seen the argument that if someone else had had a gun the VT shooting might not have occured or at least may have been minimized?

We don't need spelling nazi's here too do we? I think you got the idea didn't you?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
Kitsune
still eats dirt

That doesn't sound like the Chuck Norris I know, Spexxvet.
Attached Images

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
That doesn't sound like the Chuck Norris I know, Spexxvet.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Add two guns, and the likelihood skyrockets.
This is the part where you are wrong.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
This is the part where you are wrong.
two people are packing guns, one is a criminal. Explain how the likelihood of death doesn't increase.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:26 PM   #9
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I am curious to see your point too Clod.

If only one person has a gun, the person with the gun obviously has the power and as long as both parties cooperate and want to get out without anyone dead, nothing with happen.

If both people have guns, a power struggle will ensue. Most criminals are only stealing out of need and do not want to get hurt, so once they see a gun they may panic and attack if they have a weapon. That goes the other way too, if someone is being attacked they may jump the gun to early and one if not both could be killed.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #10
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
If only one person has a gun, the person with the gun obviously has the power and as long as both parties cooperate and want to get out without anyone dead, nothing with happen.

If both people have guns, a power struggle will ensue. Most criminals are only stealing out of need and do not want to get hurt, so once they see a gun they may panic and attack if they have a weapon. That goes the other way too, if someone is being attacked they may jump the gun to early and one if not both could be killed.
Where did you get your expertise in the psychology of gunpoint scenarios?
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:57 PM   #11
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Where did you get your expertise in the psychology of gunpoint scenarios?
Its common sense. If you put two people with guns in the same room and one threatens the other in a stressful situation, things will usually go downhill fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodfobble
bullshit
Yeah, all the guys in the projects steal from people for the fun of it. Then why do they steal if it isn't for need?

Quote:
You misspelled "run." At least you got the "may" part right, since you don't have a goddamn idea what they may or may not do.
What was the point of that? Do you expect me to list all the options that are irrelevant to the point?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Yeah, all the guys in the projects steal from people for the fun of it. Then why do they steal if it isn't for need?
The "need" for money for crack or heroin or to establish primacy in a gang territory is not the same kind of "need" that Jean Valjean had when he stole the bread to feed his family.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Wolf - I can't be certain but I think campuses do a lot more for student's safety in the past because I know for a fact there are more things you can do except learning how to disable someone with a gun or a knife. The number of crimes that could have been prevented with a gun is very low because of how college crime works. If you are trigger happy and paranoid the chances of shooting an innocent horny drunk teenager skyrockets since they will tend to violate people's privacy but not go far enough to actually hurt someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
The "need" for money for crack or heroin or to establish primacy in a gang territory is not the same kind of "need" that Jean Valjean had when he stole the bread to feed his family.
Yes, there is a difference but you can not assume that all the crime is from that.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:10 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
two people are packing guns, one is a criminal. Explain how the likelihood of death doesn't increase.
The criminal is a coward, and wasn't planning on (and isn't interested in) a fair fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45
Most criminals are only stealing out of need
bullshit

Quote:
and do not want to get hurt, so once they see a gun they may panic and attack if they have a weapon.
You misspelled "run." At least you got the "may" part right, since you don't have a goddamn idea what they may or may not do.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #15
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
The criminal is a coward, and wasn't planning on (and isn't interested in) a fair fight.
Unfair and cowardly would be to kill your opponent before they have a chance to shoot - as soon as you see the gun. Like I said, as soon as a second gun is introduced, likelihood of death shyrockets. You may be thinking like a rational, law-abiding citizen. As Jinx said, anything can happen.