The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #16
Shocker
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Jews are cool
Old 12-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #17
Shocker
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

since this thread is about jew hatin', I thought I would post this here... Hamas hates Jews and has refused to abide by existing peace accords with Israel as well as refused to recognize Israel's right to exist. Apparently, Hamas has been in secret talks with the Democratic Party for some time now, and it is only coming out now that they have been. Maybe I'm wrong, but Hamas is flagged by the State Department as a terrorist organization, and it is the policy of the U.S. not to negotiate with terrorists?

here is the report
Old 12-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #18
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Maybe they'll miraculously release the hostages, oops - recognize Israel as soon as the Dems take power!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #19
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

'Jews are cool' makes about as much sense as 'Jews are bad'. They're individual people.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #20
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

There's not a very big Jewish population where I live. Down in Melbourne there's a few Jewish communities though. I think in all my life, I've only ever met one Jewish girl and she was the next best thing to a prostitute...and was a dealer...and spent most of her life stoned.

I didn't hate her, but she pissed me off big time once or twice.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #21
rkzenrage

The only people, who happened to be Jewish, that I met who I found to be disagreeable and fitting the description of the article were a group of Orthodox Jews I met on the subway (it got backed-up) and we began talking.
They were feeling-me-out, being from the south (I was wearing a cowboy hat, which I do often). I think they expected/wanted me to be a raging hate-monger.
What ended-up happening was that they were the hate-mongers. Holding the view of the Torah passage stating that all others were "less than they" and that Israel should practice genocide within their borders. Which they had a very liberal definition of... basically anything that had been occupied by Biblical Israelis.
Essentially, they were Jewish red-necks.
I talked of them to my Jewish friends and they told me that they had heard of these types and that very few of the Orthodox are like that.
Every group has their nuts.
For some, inexplicable reason, many think all Jewish people think like this vast minority.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 12-07-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #22
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I dated two Jewish men. I'm not fond of either of them.

I had a Jewish neighbor married to a Gentile man, who converted for her, including full circumcision at the age of 32, and then she left him because it turned out she needed a "really" Jewish husband after all. I thought she was kind of a bitch.

But my gay Jew former roommate, and all the rest of the Jews I've never met, are cool with me.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #23
glatt

I'm in a law firm. Lots of Jews here.

They are individuals. I never thought of them as Jews or non-Jews. Now that I think about them as a distinct group, it occurs to me that the majority of them are very nice. Some are exceedingly nice. There are a few jerks though.

I just don't get this thread.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #24
rkzenrage

The thread is just viewing an article, that is a very skewed vision of the world.
I have not seen anyone endorsing it.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #25
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Well, I not only had a Jewish boyfriend but I was going to marry him. To do that I would have converted and received a biblical name, gone to Hadassah meetings, and observed all the family traditions, but I made it clear that I was not going to stop believing that Jesus WAS the Messiah. They actually had no problem with that! This was a liberal enclave in Washington DC in the 1960s. They all loved me as a person and knew I'd still be the same person whether I converted or not. I went through the 6-Day War and the Yom Kippur War with these people, learned how to cook, and was encouraged to paint, learn photography, and go to every art show within 100 miles. The only reason I am not Jewish now is because the "sensitive" boy I wanted to marry turned out to be incapable of choosing a direction for his life and felt overwhelmed when his formerly-virgin protege graduated from college, got a job with IBM, and became more of a confident personality than he was.

All in all, I have found the Jews (maybe it was MY Jews only, but I do not think so) to be funny, compassionate, generous to a fault, active, cultured, educated, flexible, uninhibited, and very observant. And Jewish men are well hung. What more could you ask for?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #26
rkzenrage

You would have been a Jew fo' Jesus! Yo!

A point many do not understand is that Jesus can be the Jewish messiah, just not yet.
The messiah is not named until the end-days, upon his return from the dead and certain criteria are met. Even if his resurrection was accepted by the Jewish hierarchy, the criteria of ascension was not met, nor were the criteria for the end-times (obviously).
So, he can be, and many Jews think he will be, just not yet.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 12-07-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #27
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Yep, I would have been a Jew for Jesus. The sad state of affairs in organized religion today is that THE WAY THE JEWS LIVE AND WORSHIP IS CLOSER TO JESUS' TEACHINGS THAN THE GREAT MAJORITY OF CHRISTIAN CHURCHES.

Having studied "Religion" as a required subject in a Methodist college, I have read voraciously ever since and came to the conclusion that, rather obviously, Jesus having been a fine Jewish boy himself, his original teachings would have been based precisely in the traditions and teachings of that religion. In fact, the disciples originally proselitized as another Jewish sect, requiring their converts to observe Jewish religious law and be circumcized. This became a deal-breaker as they moved farther afield, because there were hardly any synagogs or Jewish support systems in places like Greece and they realized that separating themselves that sharply from the populations they wanted to convert might lead to martyrdom faster than acceptance. By the Third Century, as we know, the people who had taken over "leadership" of the fledgling Church went into the politics and power game and began solidifying the dogma and doctrine, enforcing it with the sword and fire, and we have been moving away from Jesus' teaching ever since and into the realm of fantasy and fiction
Old 12-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #28
equazcion
Thinks "pie" is a funny word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
The only people, who happened to be Jewish, that I met who I found to be disagreeable and fitting the description of the article were a group of Orthodox Jews I met on the subway (it got backed-up) and we began talking...
I know you were being positive, balanced the issue well, but I wanted to use your experience as an example and expand on what you said. I hope that's ok.

As a Jew I'd like to apologize on behalf of all Jews for the experience you had with some stupid Jews. In all fairness though, I'd like to first point out that within every group, you'll find smart ones, stupid ones, holier-than-thou ones, and good ones. You happened to find a sampling of what I consider the worst community in any religion; not orthodox per-se, but those condescending fanatics who are so busy enjoying the smell of their own poop that they don't realize they've completely missed the point.

The roadmap to finding such counter-human attitudes based on their particular sect of the religion is not an exact or a reliable science. There's a sliding scale, where the more extreme groups will be more likely to show signs of idiotness, while the more secular sects will probably be more... well, more open to being a part of the solution. However, as I mentioned, this isn't an exact science. I myself tend to expect down-the-nose looks from the Chassidic sect of Jews, which if you don't know are our most "extreme" implementation ("extreme" is in quotes here so as not to denote violence but rather a steadfast devotion to the letter as opposed to the spirit of Jewish law); so yes, we Jews even look down on each other. But try and tell me you've never looked down on others or at least been looked down on by others, in your respective religions... All of you! Try to tell me that! I dare you. Not really, please don't bother me.

Anyway, that's where I tend to expect it, in the extremities, but you'll really find sporadic examples throughout. As for orthodox Jews specifically, I think there's more positivity than negativity. I could be wrong (it's happened before).

These might be points so obvious that many would wonder why I would bother to point them out. They might be the case with most religions (and I think they are). So if I'm telling you something you already know, please complain, as it will do you loads of good. But just in case you happen to be one of those unfortunate souls that had a chance encounter with an example of Jews that most Jews generally aren't proud of, I would hate to think you've passed judgment on the lot of us based solely on that, even unintentionally. So for you, this is just a heads-up. I don't think I'm any better than any of you. There, now you heard it from at least one of us.

Last edited by equazcion; 12-11-2006 at 09:59 PM.
equazcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #29
rkzenrage

I agree with you and have conversed with others that this article could have been written about anyone, any group, from any other group's perspective.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:47 AM   #30
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Welcome to the Cellar equazcion! Very eloquently put.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote