The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-25-2019, 10:47 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nov 26th, 2019 : Carved Pottery

Sean Forest Roberts owns and operates Forest Ceramic Company located on Orcas Island, WA.
He produces some very unique carved ceramics from multiple layers of colored clay slip.

Quote:
The 29-years-old artist says that his passion for pottery was born in high school, where he tried the craft for the first time. "I am often asked about my art background, and I inevitably tell my story about studying chemistry at Carleton College, with my serious hobby of ceramics, which started in High School with a love of throwing pottery on the wheel. I think it’s a fun fact that I have never taken an art class other than ceramics, and my formal education in ceramics was very minimal.

My ceramic knowledge is self-taught, and I am most interested in exploring processes that are not common knowledge. I continue to learn every day through my experimentation." While the artist has been doing ceramics for 15 years, for the last 7 years he's working on colored porcelain.

Quote:
On his Instagram account which has 359k fans, Roberts often demonstrates not only the finished products but also the whole ceramic-making process. Through the captivating videos, the artist demonstrates the surprisingly satisfying process of carving pottery. The carvings reveal a mixture of different colors and vary in shapes and sizes.

"The process I use is called slipcasting. The first step is to create a prototype form on the wheel, then create a plaster mold of that form. Once the plaster mold has been made, it can be “cast” a couple of times in one day, using slip—liquefied clay—to recreate the original prototype form. After casting there are 10-12 steps to undergo for each piece, and it takes about a week to have the final product out of final glaze firing," Roberts explains.

Most of the carved pieces are made with 5 layers of colored slip(clay), but there's a couple pieces on his website (The Lab) that are 29 and 30 layers.

link

link
Old 11-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

gorgeous
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Flint
Snowflake

Amazing. Reminds me of a wood carving my father had, where the wood was darker towards the core, and it created "shadows" in the deeper parts. I can't seem to Image Search anything that looks like it...
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do you think it was the natural gradient of the wood color or had been stained in the cuts?
Old 11-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
...stained in the cut?
I knew a chick like that.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote