The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-31-2005, 06:53 AM   #46
linknoid
Superior Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
I'm w/ you, Bruce.
I've never watched this show, but I recognized him from the commercials I saw a few times:

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/monk/
linknoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:01 AM   #47
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

AhHa.....thanks linknoid.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:10 AM   #48
62LBkZM

It's too awesome!
Old 11-24-2005, 05:31 AM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, 62LBkZM.
What are you referring too, Linknoids link or UT's picture?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #50
mlandman
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy View Post

IMO most terrorist/radicals aren't at all commited to any religion or group. They use these for something to conveniently (and cowardly) hide behind, hoping to imply the "safety in numbers" theory. They alone are, as we all are, responsible for the wrongs they do.
Still feel the same way?
mlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #51
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Yes I do.

capnhowdy appears to be away at the moment. I would be quite happy to renew this conversation with you. I re read it and I'm up to speed.

What's your point?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #52
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
The Muslim radical Right is trying to co-opt governments and societies everywhere, but their numbers are relatively small, so they are doing it through force and terror. The Christian radical Right is doing the same thing here in the US, but there's enough of them that they don't have to resort to blowing people up in their own country. Overseas, however, is another matter.
Weak comparison. There are many more Muslims than Christians overseas. Christians haven't been blowing things up and killing in the name of religon for a long time.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #53
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

so mercy, have you read this thread? do you have a position on the topics discussed?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #54
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
so mercy, have you read this thread? do you have a position on the topics discussed?
Yea, I followed it. I agree with some of what you have stated, some not so much. But I pretty much agree with most of it.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #55
TheMercenary

[QB]
They alone are, as we all are, responsible for the wrongs they do. [/QB]

BigV [QB]I doubt we disagree on this point. If you do, please correct my misunderstanding.[/QB]

I would disagree with this exchange. If it were true than each time they blew themselves up there would be fewer and fewer bombers until there were none left. But in fact that is not the case. Behind each person is a cleric or Osama, or whomever, who is convincing these people to take these actions. But note it is never the person who is preaching them to take actions who is doing it. Personally I don't think they have the balls to do it, others may just say that they understand their role is to incite the actions of others to serve the cause. Until we address the Madrass and leaders, cut the head off the snake, this stuff will continue.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #56
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

thanks for your reply, sir.

I would like to clarify my statements you referenced here.

You quoted me very narrowly, which is fine, but I want to explain my remarks. I will start by saying I agree with you. That the "they" in question, the "they" in the first sentence, when it refers to the group of people that are inculcating the suicide bombers, brainwashing, incitin, propagandizing, and lying to the actual bomb carrying people, those people, THEY bear the largest share of the responsibility. A smaller share, not zero, belongs to the bombers themselves. The actual bombers, I think that was the "they" originally referenced by capnhowdy.

My "I doubt we disagree on this point" remark was made with this distinction in mind: that the people who bomb are responsible for their actions, IN CONTRAST to the overwhelming majority of Muslims for whom such violence is an abomination.

So,

"they"==bombers, and their brainwashing incitors==responsible for their actions

"they"==Muslims in general !== responsible for the actions of bombers.

I'm not trying to split hairs here. It is an important distinction.

Remember the song "Pencil Neck Geek" by Tom Blassie? He had a line in there:

"They say these geeks are a dime a dozen. I'm lookin for the guy supplyin the dimes."

Bullseye.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #57
TheMercenary

Quote:
thanks for your reply, sir.

I would like to clarify my statements you referenced here.

You quoted me very narrowly, which is fine, but I want to explain my remarks. I will start by saying I agree with you. That the "they" in question, the "they" in the first sentence, when it refers to the group of people that are inculcating the suicide bombers, brainwashing, incitin, propagandizing, and lying to the actual bomb carrying people, those people, THEY bear the largest share of the responsibility. A smaller share, not zero, belongs to the bombers themselves. The actual bombers, I think that was the "they" originally referenced by capnhowdy.

My "I doubt we disagree on this point" remark was made with this distinction in mind: that the people who bomb are responsible for their actions, IN CONTRAST to the overwhelming majority of Muslims for whom such violence is an abomination.

So,

"they"==bombers, and their brainwashing incitors==responsible for their actions

"they"==Muslims in general !== responsible for the actions of bombers.

I'm not trying to split hairs here. It is an important distinction.

Remember the song "Pencil Neck Geek" by Tom Blassie? He had a line in there:

"They say these geeks are a dime a dozen. I'm lookin for the guy supplyin the dimes."

Bullseye.
Agreed, 100%.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:41 PM   #58
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
.... IN CONTRAST to the overwhelming majority of Muslims for whom such violence is an abomination.
I see... so muslims never experience Schadenfrude.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:12 AM   #59
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

So, you speak for "the Muslims" now?

What the hell is your point?

Carelessly throwing down absolute qualifiers like "never", are you picking a fight?

Out of over a billion, a thousand million people walking the earth, who are Muslim, I reckon, some of them, somewhere, some when, have experienced the guilty pleasure of enjoying seeing an imagined oppressor's suffering. Sure.

I reckon the guy on deck for the custom explosive vest hoots and hollers when he sees the carnage of the one batting ahead of him. He's "a Muslim", he counts, right? There's your Schadenfrude right there. Yeah, I bet Muslims do experience Schadenfrude. So what?

What's your point?

Do you have a problem with my math? What are you trying to say about Muslims? I'm trying to say that the overwhelming majority of them don't bomb, don't kill, and that like most people, find this kind of violence abhorrent. Until I get some more solid evidence to the contrary, I'm sticking with that.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If I spoke for the Muslims, I wouldn't be asking now, would I?

My point is, saying the terrorists are not true Islamics and that the real Islamics are all about peace, love, sugar & spice, is bullshit.

Islamics are people first, and like all the rest of the people in the world, subject to the same emotions, frailties, and aggressions. They are no more peaceable than anyone else. Their religion is no more peaceable than any other. Remember, it's the only major religion that's approves of killing. It spells it out, complete with the rules of engagement. I'm not talking about people claiming to represent the religion, approving of certain murders, as some powerful Christians have done, but the religion itself.

They've been killing millions of people, for centuries, especially each other, in the name of the true Islam. You can't tell me that when Al-Baghdadi put a $100k bounty on Lars Vilks, there aren't a lot of people who consider themselves true Islamics, if not openly agreeing, nodding silently in accent. That's because they are people first.