The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan, 12, 2013 Coins of The Realm

Evidently from what I'm reading on the net... which is rock solid evidence... there’s a lot of Brits who are unaware of this pattern.

Of course the rest of us have an excuse, so we can all point and giggle at them.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Oh great, now the illuminati are going to have to have us all killed.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Again?!?!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah...they were a redesign from a few years ago. Most of the coins in circulation don't look like that. Every now and again I'll get one with that kind of pattern.

I must admit though, that I didn't know the redesigned coins made a larger pattern when put together.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

From wiki:

Quote:
In 2008, UK coins underwent an extensive redesign, which changed the reverse designs, and some other details, of all coins except the £2.[17] The original intention was to exclude both the £1 and £2 coins from the redesign because they were "relatively new additions" to the coinage, but it was later decided to include the £1 coin.[18] This was the first wholesale change to British coinage since the first decimal coins were introduced in April 1968. The new coins were initially to be put into circulation in early 2008,[19] although they did not actually start to appear until mid-2008.

The major design feature was the introduction of a reverse design shared across six coins (1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p), that can be pieced together to form an image of the Royal Shield. This was the first time a coin design had been featured across multiple coins in this way.[17] Completing the set, the new £1 reverse features the Shield in its entirety. The effigy of the Queen, by Ian Rank-Broadley, continues to appear on the obverse of all the coins.[17]

On all coins, the beading (ring of small dots) around the edge of the obverses has been removed. The obverse of the 20p coin has also been amended to incorporate the year, which had been on the reverse of the coin since its introduction in 1982 (giving rise to an unusual issue of a mule version without any date at all[20]). The orientation of both sides of the 50p coin has been rotated through 180 degrees, meaning the "bottom" of the coin is now a corner rather than a flat edge. The numerals showing the decimal value of each coin, previously present on all coins except £2 and £1, have been removed, leaving the values spelled out in words only.
I mustn't have been listening properly when this stuff was in the news :P

Quote:
The redesign was the result of a competition launched by the Royal Mint in August 2005, which closed on 14 November 2005. The competition was open to the public and received over 4,000 entries.[17] The winning entry was unveiled on 2 April 2008, designed by Matthew Dent.[17] Dent's initials can be seen on the new coinage. The Royal Mint stated the new designs were "reflecting a twenty-first century Britain".[19] An advisor to the Royal Mint described the new coins as "post-modern" and said that this was something that could not have been done 50 years previously.[21]

The redesign was criticised by some for having no specifically Welsh symbol (such as the Welsh Dragon), because the Royal Shield does not include a specifically Welsh symbol. Wrexham MP Ian Lucas, who was also campaigning to have the Welsh Dragon included on the Union Flag, called the omission "disappointing", and stated that he would be writing to the Queen to request that the Royal Standard be changed to include Wales.[22] The Royal Mint stated that "the Shield of the Royal Arms is symbolic of the whole of the United Kingdom and as such, represents Wales, Scotland, England and Northern Ireland."[22] Designer Dent stated "I am a Welshman and proud of it, but I never thought about the fact we did not have a dragon or another representation of Wales on the design because as far as I am concerned Wales is represented on the Royal Arms. This was never an issue for me."[22]

The designs were also criticised for not including a portrayal of Britannia, the female personification of Britain whose image has appeared on British coinage continuously since 1672.[23] In response to the concern over the loss of Britannia, the chairman of the Royal Mint Advisory Committee stated "There are 806 million Britannias in circulation at the moment [on the old 50p coin]. They will remain in circulation. They will see all of us out, until they die a natural death. So whatever happens, Britannia stays around".[17]

The Royal Mint's choice of an inexperienced coin designer to produce the new coinage was criticised by Virginia Ironside, daughter of Christopher Ironside who designed the previous UK coins. She stated that the new designs were "totally unworkable as actual coins", due to the loss of a numerical currency identifier, and the smaller typeface used.[24]

The German news magazine Der Spiegel claimed that the redesign signalled the UK's intention "not to join the euro any time soon".[25]
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I knew.
But I've never bothered to collect them and put them all together, so thanks for that.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
glatt

I knew too, and also didn't bother to collect them. I think we have the two pence one kicking around somewhere. Last I saw it, it was on the windowsill in the bathroom.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
She stated that the new designs were "totally unworkable as actual coins", due to the loss of a numerical currency identifier, and the smaller typeface used.[24]
Old 01-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'll be getting the Royal Mail Dr Who stamps in March though
Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

We should do this in the US. That way while we further debase the currency we can pretend each coin is actually a lower denomination.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

That happened in Canada when the one and two dollar bills were scrapped in favor of the loonie and toonie. No one was thrilled about carrying those big, heavy suckers around. There was little reaction as prices and taxes ballooned to make the five-dollar bill the new one-dollar, and loonies/toonies became kitchen jar change.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I'll be getting the Royal Mail Dr Who stamps in March though
I hope they include a TARDIS stamp, you know, for those who needed to get it there yesterday.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
I hope they include a TARDIS stamp, you know, for those who needed to get it there yesterday.
Been there, done that.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
SPUCK
Professor

Quote:
This was the first time a coin design had been featured across multiple coins in this way.
And that's because it's STUPID!
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

your pic xob makes it look like a watermark of a big shield on a picture of several coins.