The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

View Poll Results: Should gay marriages be legal?
Yes 42 77.78%
No 9 16.67%
I can't decide. 3 5.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2003, 03:52 AM   #196
preacherswife2u
Be ye forewarned ~ sometimes I jest.

I am sorry to hear that. Sorry, but not surprised, considering that christians are only human...and, well...God is just hard to understand sometimes. I'm assuming you mean that people here have had unpleasant experiences with christians.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying that people have had unpleasant experiences with God and the Bible. I'm thinking maybe you mean that they disagree with the Bible...and choose not to believe in God? Please correct me if I'm way off base.

At any rate, I understand the gist of what you are saying. Life is hard. Period. I'm sure we all would like to make some sense of it. For some of us, belief in God brings not only sanity in the midst of chaos, as well as peace in the midst of impossible circumstances.

...sorry 'bout your slow whatever it is... (I know just enough about computers to make me dangerous...)
preacherswife2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 03:53 AM   #197
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Who was making the Native Americans out to be a bunch of peacemongers here?

Quzah, I'm afraid that I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that Native Americans as a group should not get special considerations?
Correct.

Should I trace my lineage so I can find someone who wronged my ancestors and demand something in payment from then? Absurd.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 04:14 AM   #198
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

(slang blinks at the monitor......squinting, reads Quzah's last post....then falls out of his chair, bumps his head.....lies babbling, and twitching on the floor)

I actually agree with Quzah

Last edited by slang; 11-26-2003 at 04:37 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 05:11 AM   #199
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
Slang.

I URGE you to go rent Eddie Izzard. He has a great piece regarding colonisation and flags...
I dont have a vcr or dvd player and I just googled it and I dont understand how this relates to the current conversation.

On top of that, my cable connection is almost as slow as smoke signals and I just heaved my couch out of the window in frustration.

Can you give me a summary?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 05:27 AM   #200
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Well, how do you know that you're not just "choosing" to be attracted to women? Maybe that's a choice, too. Why do you think that it isn't?
The little head tells me.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:42 AM   #201
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by preacherswife2u
.snip
I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying that people have had unpleasant experiences with God and the Bible. I'm thinking maybe you mean that they disagree with the Bible...and choose not to believe in God? Please correct me if I'm way off base.

snip
I think the reference was probably to agressive missionaries and zealots who imposed their will in the name of God and the Bible. Torquemata (sp) for example.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:54 AM   #202
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Re: For what it's worth...

Quote:
Same sex relationships are an abomination in God's eyes. (Yes, that's in the Bible. I'll post scripture ref. if anyone really cares to know, but I don't think anyone would doubt that this is in the Bible. And this matters to me because the Bible is my authority...yes, even above man's laws). As a christian, I could do nothing less than to fight against legalization of homosexual marriage.
Why? Nobody is trying to force Christians to marry gay. It is against strict Catholic doctrine to eat meat on Fridays. Would it be OK, if the Catholics gained control of the government, for them to forbid the sale or consumption of meat on Fridays? Or for Jews or Muslims to forbid the sale of pork altogether? Or for scientologists to ban the psychiatric profession? You have to realize that not everyone has the same beliefs. It is OK for Catholic clergy to admonish Catholics not to eat meat on Fridays. It is Ok for rabbis and clerics to forbid their followers to eat pork. It is OK for scientologists to discourage their followers fom seeing a shrink. But it is not OK, should any of them get into a position of political power, for them to attempt to foist religious requirements on the general public.

That's the difference. If someone was trying to prevent you from practicing your religion, you would have an issue. But instead someone is trying to give people more rights - people who do not share your beliefs. Why should your religious beliefs trump theirs?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 07:03 AM   #203
Griff
still says videotape

Re: Re: For what it's worth...

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
It is against strict Catholic doctrine to eat meat on Fridays.
No, it's not. But your point stands. Government cannot determine the will of God.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:35 AM   #204
jaguar
whig

there is a certain irony in a fundie called Happy Monkey.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:26 AM   #205
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Re: For what it's worth...

Quote:

As a christian, I could do nothing less than to fight against legalization of homosexual marriage.
I respect your opinion, but I just want to point out to everybody else here that this does not represent the opinion of all Christians.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:46 AM   #206
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
The little head tells me.
Why should I believe this reason when you don't believe it when it's offered up by gays?

Sorry, I still think heterosexuality is a choice.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:49 AM   #207
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
there is a certain irony in a fundie called Happy Monkey.
I'm not sure what makes you think I'm a fundie. I'm not religious at all.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #208
dave

jaguar can't read, Happy Monkey, so he just makes stuff up. Don't let it bother you.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:57 PM   #209
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah
So it's fine to lump "all the indians" together, as a mass, and let them have their infighting, and that's OK, but it's not OK if someone else wants to go fight with them too?
Correct. It's nobody's business what they do to each other.

Quote:
See the absurdity in your logic here? If Whitey had used bows and arrows, then would it have been OK for them to fight too? Was it the guns that made it wrong? Superior firepower? Your logic makes no sense.
Say what? Who cares about HOW they killed off the Natives. The fact that they did and WHY they fought them and tried to kill them off was wrong.

The Trail Of Tears ring a bell?

Hollywood has left the impression that the great Indian wars came in the Old West during the late 1800's, a period that many think of simplistically as the "cowboy and Indian" days. But in fact that was a "mopping up" effort. By that time the Indians were nearly finished, their subjugation complete, their numbers decimated. The killing, enslavement, and land theft had begun with the arrival of the Europeans. But it may have reached its nadir when it became federal policy under President (Andrew) Jackson.

Kenneth C. Davis, from his book Don't Know Much About History

See also:
A Brief History of the Cherokee Nation

It wasn't all about just "fighting". History tells us that Europeans had a habit of "fighting" the Native cultures of many lands that they invaded. Try "attempting to eliminate" by intimidation, slavery, internment camps, and the outright murder of native people all over the world.

You may feel that my logic is "absurd", but history doesn't lie.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:05 PM   #210
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

Correct.

Should I trace my lineage so I can find someone who wronged my ancestors and demand something in payment from then? Absurd.

Quzah.
No NOT absurd to some. That's up to you if you don't want to persue that option. If you do, then you do. If not, then oh well. *shrugs*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote