The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-31-2007, 04:28 PM   #16
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
If you were in the military or law enforcement, and he suspended elections and declared martial law, would you follow his orders, or shoot him in the back?
Under the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice), the military is required to follow all Lawful Orders. If the Commander in Chief submits an unlawful order, that would be interrpreted as such by Sr. Military Officers such as the Chief of Staff, and the orders would not be passed down to the enlisted men that would actually carry out the order. However, if the Commander in Chief did submit a Lawful Order, then each person assigned the specific orders are required to carry them out, and failure to do so would bring about a court martial, or some other punishment as outlined in said UCMJ.
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:18 PM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

Hmmmm... seems like an inordinately large number of high ranking officers have left the service lately.You know, the ones who said bad things about the Bush administration's policies... no connection there
Old 05-31-2007, 09:11 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When they went to a professional army the wheels were in motion. Now the big push is to replace them, with robots, autonomous machines, drones and anything else that can't tell the difference between Tehran and Chicago.

Most of the top military brass have been replaced with lap dogs that go along to get along and not jeopardize their pension by rocking the boat.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:11 PM   #19
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yznhymr View Post
Under the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice), the military is required to follow all Lawful Orders. If the Commander in Chief submits an unlawful order, that would be interrpreted as such by Sr. Military Officers such as the Chief of Staff, and the orders would not be passed down to the enlisted men that would actually carry out the order. However, if the Commander in Chief did submit a Lawful Order, then each person assigned the specific orders are required to carry them out, and failure to do so would bring about a court martial, or some other punishment as outlined in said UCMJ.
I've never been in the military, but don't you swear an oath to uphold the Constitution when you join?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:13 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Considering their priorities now, that was probably replaced with don't ask/don't tell.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #21
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Considering their priorities now, that was probably replaced with don't ask/don't tell.
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #22
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I've never been in the military, but don't you swear an oath to uphold the Constitution when you join?
Why yes you do.

The wordings of the current oath of enlistment and oath for commissioned officers are as follows:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)