The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #5986
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
What I'm saying is that there is one line. Prime members get their items and get in line. And non members get shuffled off to the side into a waiting room for a coupe days and then are released to go get in line.
Shuffled off to the side a couple days? Where did you get that from? They're shipping an average of about 3.3 million packages a day, every day, 365, and that's not an up to date number. Prime goes first, then the people who ordered two days ago, then the people that ordered yesterday, next you and the rest of the people that ordered today. Nobody gets put on hold unless there's a problem, because that fucks the efficiency. Bezos is about efficiency above all else.

You can't seriously expect the largest retailer in the world to drop everything while they find, pick, box and ship your handle? OK everyone, non-prime glatt's handle has shipped, back to the normal routine.
Capitalism, Takin' what they're givin' 'cause you're workin' for a livin'... pay up or shut up.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #5987
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Amazon gave us a book's Pre-Publication price ($10.50) + shipping ($5.40).
A week later we sold our house and moved to a new address about 5.5 miles away.
I changed our shipping address before the Publication Date.
Along comes the Publication Date and Amazon ships... to our old address.

Pkg tracking shows carrier attempted delivery, but USPS already has our Mail-Forwarding Notice.
Pkg goes into Never-Never Land
We contact Amazon... who points finger at USPS
But Amazon ships another copy - overnight delivery - no charge.

Next day 1st book arrives after 10-day side-trip of PDX->Seattle-PDX, but now with $5.80 Postage Due.
Following day, the Postman delivers the 2nd copy, coming via Philadelphia, Sacramento, and PDX.

All this for a $10.50 book

I now have 2 copies to sell on eBay
... Buyer pays shipping - delivery not guaranteed !

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #5988
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The post office is not good at contingencies. Since they've gotten into this "last mile" system, with the retailer or carrier dumping your package at the nearest major postal hub, it's added at least two days delay in shipping. Like 1.5 days from South Carolina to Philly Post Office and 6 days 9 miles to me. But that's better than fedex, 2 days from CA to the fedex depot in Exton, PA and 10 days for the 15 miles to me. After all that they dumped it in the snow at the end of the driveway. I love UPS.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #5989
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have a dodgy leg.

Two evenings ago my right foot felt like it had been in water too long, as if it was all wrinkled. I assumed that was literally it, because it was raining outside (as usual) and I hadn't been wearing waterproof shoes. But touching it I realised it was quite normal, not all shrivelled up - which also made sense, as it would have happened to both my feet.

Then yesterday my right leg felt like I had pins and needles all day. Not the painful part, just the mild tingle that suggests you should change position. But I was feeling it even when I was walking.

And today, I woke up feeling like I'd pulled my calf muscle. It's really quite sore. Enough so I have slightly altered the way I usually walk to minimise it. And yes, my foot still feels all puckered up.

None of this is scary or worth worrying about.
It's just weird and I would rather it wasn't happening.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #5990
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Truce at shift change.
So... Does it still count as a truce if it turns out your the only one doing it?
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #5991
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, that's not the definition of truce... unless you're Korean.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #5992
it
Banned

I am Israeli, that was kind of our thing too.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #5993
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I bought a replacement handle for a sink on Saturday from Amazon. ... They have the item in their warehouse, and they can easily pick it up and ship it, but they are just burning time. I'm not a Prime member, so they are deliberately making me wait.
When you buy an item from Amazon, you can choose the shipping and pay more for faster shipping.

I ordered the item on Saturday. They sent a confirmation email right away. Then Thursday morning I got an email that it shipped. Friday (today) I checked the status and it's out for delivery in my town.

So they waited 5 days and then shipped the item overnight. I paid nothing for shipping, but the shipping is costing them the same as if I had paid the premium price for shipping it overnight.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #5994
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've seen the notice that the item has shipped is way after when it's actually shipped. There is often an unexplained delay there. You're making assumptions based on nothing but the timing of notices, and everyone knows those IT people are unreliable.

I've seen notices appear on the tracking page saying it was delayed, even after it displayed out for delivery. I've a feeling the tracking page is predictive rather than real time.

See if the package is marked overnight delivery, or some other rush notice. I'll bet it was shipped about Monday or Tuesday.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:21 AM   #5995
glatt

Looked at the shipping label on the box. No indication to my untrained eyes of when it was shipped, where it was shipped from, or the speed at which it was shipped. The only date on the thing was the arrival date. Also no indication of the carrier.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #5996
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I'm awaiting an Amazon delivery this afternoon,
I placed the order mid-afternoon on Tuesday 1st Sept. and the parcel arrived at the distribution depot about 15 miles from here on Thursday at at 0539.
It remained there for two days until 1159 this morning when it was shown as 'out for delivery'.

A few years ago the Royal Mail had the contract to handle all of Amazon's stuff in the UK but they lost that and now deliveries are handled largely by by Amazon Logistics, which appears to be a mixture of sub-contracted parcels delivery firms and self-employed 'man and a van' operations.
The whole operation seems riddled by inconsistencies. I've placed orders say, on a Monday and they've been delivered on Wednesday. Perhaps I should add that I usually choose the cheapest despatch option but that doesn't seem to have too much influence on delivery times. They're consistently inconsistent.

I don't know why Royal Mail lost the contract but, as far as I could see, the arrangement worked well, not least because their massive distribution depot was next door to Amazon's facility at Ridgmont in Bedfordshire.

Anyway, it's coming up to 1450 and I await my parcel with bated breath.
Will have to calm the nervous tension by making a cup of tea for Dad and me.

ETA:

Mirabile dictu!
It's just arrived at 1518.

Last edited by Carruthers; 09-05-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #5997
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
...now deliveries are handled largely by by Amazon Logistics, which appears to be a mixture of sub-contracted parcels delivery firms and self-employed 'man and a van' operations.
That's what fedex does here, which has caused me headaches. Our town post office will sell stamps and has boxes for rent, but mail deliveries are handled from the larger post office in the adjoining County Seat. That is for everyone in town except the nine houses on my road, our mail is delivered from the next town down.

FedEx contracts with independent man/van people to geographical boundaries. Since my mail address is the next town down, the guy gets to the boundary and says, Whoa, not my job. No matter how many times I talk to the dispatcher they can't seem to fix it. I shudder every time I hear someone shipped something to me by fedex.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #5998
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Some weekend, get a can of white paint and change the boundary to the other side of your house.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #5999
monster
I hear them call the tide

Went to pharmacy to look for bandage adhesive remover. Zoff to Brits and Aussies, apparently Uni Solve over here and not very widely used. Asked the pharmacist assistant who asked the pharmacist who came over and said "Just use Soap and Water" Aaaaaargh! Lovely assistant looked it up online and can get it by Tuesday. We could get it from Amazon same price same timeframe, but I felt she deserved the sale.

Use fucking soap? Oh yeah, duh, never thought of that, wonder if it's any good for getting other shit off? I bet it's prescription-only and not covered by my insurance :/
Old 09-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #6000
it
Banned

So I started watching Skyfall, fascinated by their artistic decision to go with lower quality older looking footage.... only to realize 20 minutes later it was just streaming on the lowest quality settings. Now it looks better but slightly less interesting

Tags
mild cheddar