The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 12-26-2003, 06:02 PM   #61
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

monkey, did you do your own dovetailing? what kind of wood? maple? it's beautiful. can we get a closer look at the face of the desk...looks like it's pretty curly..is a veneer or solid? what kind of tool to make the dovetail?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 08:16 PM   #62
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
monkey, did you do your own dovetailing? what kind of wood? maple? it's beautiful. can we get a closer look at the face of the desk...looks like it's pretty curly..is a veneer or solid? what kind of tool to make the dovetail?
All of the dovetailing is done by hand with handsaws and chisels. We've got specialty endgrain and crosscut saws that work wonders. The majority of the wood is cherry, oiled and waxed. The dark stuff (feet and molding of bookcase and entertainment center) is walnut. The light stuff on the sides of the drawers is pine. Peeking through from behind the books in the bookcase is poplar. All solid wood, no veneer or plywood. But the bookcase I am working on now, because of its size, will have a plywood back.

And, since you asked so politely, and I am enjoying the heck out of my new camera (and I'm proud of the work), here's a detail of the front corner of the desk, with the drawer open, and the "stripper tassle" pull prominent:
Attached Images

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 10:29 PM   #63
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

gorgeous!

I have a pine bookcase all cut awaiting time in my schedule to assemble and glue it up. It's a big one though, and I'm afraid that if I put it together in the basement, it will never come out. I built a "treasure chest" for the kids' costume collection this xmas....I'll try to get a good pic of it up here later.

Happy, where do you get your materials? I ve seen some websites that have "classified" ads for specialty wood, but don't know where to look locally....I'd like to touch and feel it before I buy it. I'd like to find some really curly maple or cherry to do a couple of wardrobes out of, but I'll need some huge pieces for the sides. Home Depot don't got it. Did you join boards to make those wider pieces? Is that table cherry too, or chestnut? Is your dad a carpenter by trade or hobby.

good work!
Old 12-26-2003, 10:43 PM   #64
Happy Monkey

Muchas Thankas!

There's a lumberyard about 45 minutes away from DC that I go to. They've got a pretty good selection.

Yes, the wide boards are joined. We don't have a joiner, so it's tablesaw/router/hand plane work. The table has a cherry top and a walnut skirt and legs. Woodworking is a hobby bor both my father and I.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 12-27-2003, 12:14 AM   #65
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I assembled one of those desks with the allen wrenches and glue once ...
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:23 AM   #66
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I assembled one of those desks with the allen wrenches and glue once ...
Good going, but if you really want a challenge, try a kid's toy like a swing set or a toy kitchen. In my experience they're many times harder than most furniture.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 02:49 AM   #67
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My bathroom was typical early 50's plaster with pink and black ceramic tile on the floor and walls.
Stripped it down to the studs. The baseboard metal cover was replaced with angle iron and tiles. The "Psyche" print from the 1893 Chicago Worlds Fair is the medicine cabinet. 2" maple windowsill and shelf. Bath towel bar is a recycled hand rail from a stairway in an old house.
These pictures were taken when it was first finished. Considerable DoDad's have been added.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:05 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 06:48 AM   #68
Happy Monkey

Cool. I need to do that some day. My bathroom is falling apart.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 12-27-2003, 10:32 AM   #69
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Is that print of Psyche a Waterhouse work? Can't quite see it clearly enough to tell.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:48 PM   #70
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Elspode
Is that print of Psyche a Waterhouse work? Can't quite see it clearly enough to tell.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's from the B. Anthony collection. I bought it by mail from an ad in Playboy magazine for around $50, as I recall. You know how we old farts have memory trouble. I don't see an artist credit.

Old 12-27-2003, 02:12 PM   #71
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

do you think she's checking her reflection to see if it makes her boobs look any bigger?
Old 12-27-2003, 02:24 PM   #72
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hmmm..art gallery. Well this is industrial art. A few years ago a friend needed back surgery and since her bathroom was upstairs and she didn't want her mother to move in I figured the best solution would be a lift. It didn't have to be fancy since it was only for a few months, so I built one out of materials on hand.
A couple pieces of heavy steel channel that had guided an elevator in a private home and a steel plate with roller bearings for wheels on the top, bottom and sides with no free play. I fabricated a chair covered with an old piece of leather from a diner booth and a foot rest, attached to the steel plate. The mounting brackets were screwed through the rug and a piece of plywood over the tile floor at the bottom and cut to be firm in the doorway.

Old 12-27-2003, 02:37 PM   #73
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I bought 2 garage door openers but I only used the chain and remote control from the second one. This picture shows the door opener attached to the channel where it cleared the top step. like I said, it was a temporary setup and no kids in the house so it wasn't elegant. I duct taped the electric eye sender and receiver (keeps the door from closing on someone)face to face. A remote at the top and one at the bottom and some adjustments to the load limiter, and it worked flawlessly.

Old 12-27-2003, 03:00 PM   #74
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

from my "high"school days
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2003, 03:02 PM   #75
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

my hero:
eta: ( iknow the guitar LOOKS way out of proportion, but this was from his electric u-ka-lay-lee (?sp?) days. PS how the hell do you spell that?
Attached Images

Last edited by lumberjim; 12-27-2003 at 03:04 PM.