FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #1876
glatt

I just use the lid. Easier to clean.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #1877
Cloud

the lid of what? oh, by holding the lid of the pain over and pouring it out?

Hot. and awkward. but as long as you're not pouring the fat down the drain, it's okay. I actually have a strainer that's meant to be held over a pot like that. It's flat, and moon shaped sorta, and has a handle. That works, but I still think my paper towel idea is best, because you get rid of more fat like that.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #1878
monster
I hear them call the tide

Why use a colander at all if you don't intend to pour the fat anywhere? Also, from my experience with this method, I'd say the meat's going to stick to the paper towel and all that paper's not very environmentally friendly.... But if you wanted to use this method I'd suggest putting the towel under the colander so it can soak up the fat without touching the meat.

Maybe the difference in perceived best approach comes from quantities involved. I'm cooking for 5 -that's a whole load of fat to soak up.....

It's OK to pour fat down your waste disposer.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #1879
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I just tilt the pan and scoop the meat upward to serve. The fat collects in the bottom while the meat gets pushed uphill. Then you have a pan full of nothing but grease, and you can either pour it down the garbage disposal, or pour it into an airtight container and save this freshly-rendered lard for other purposes. (I don't really do this, I'm just saying you could, if you wanted to go all Civil War Granny.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #1880
monster

ah, I usually add sauce/liquid ingredients after the fat is removed, so I need the meat in the pan and the fat elsewhere.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #1881
Cloud

which is why I usually dump the whole thing into the colander, then it's easy to dump the meat back in the pan.

but I only cook for one, so 1 pound of meat is usually too much for me, so volume may affect your method, I agree
Old 06-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #1882
monster

but doesn't the paper render the holes in the colander useless?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #1883
Cloud

yes, and sometimes I just put it in a bowl. I guess I'm just used to thinking about straining into a colander so I usually reach for that.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #1884
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I always buy lean mince (and most often turkey or Quorn) so it doesn't come up.
But my SIL's tip for cleaning up the fat after cooking sausages/ bacon (grilled or fried) is to soak it up with bread and feed it to the birds. Seems to work well. Dad's Mum used to save it for the next fry-up. Yummy.

I had garlic bread with lunch.
My breath now really stinks of garlic.
I have until 19.00 tonight to shift it. Am off the my bro's for the England game.
But the slattern in my head says, "They eat garlic anyway! Don't worry about it!"
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #1885
Cloud

Bad news: My air conditioning crapped out on me last night. Forecast for today: 103 degrees.

Good news: Advantage of renting--I called my apartment office and asked them to fix it, so when I came home today--blessed coolness!

Ahhhhh!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #1886
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

slattern - my new word for the day
Thank you SG
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #1887
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Am I happy to be starting a new term? I suppose. I'd rather have a job.

Ok onto the big all about me post (gettingmypostwhoreon) before I get really busy again.

The perennials I planted last year are doing lovely this spring. I have lavender, white bleeding heart, hyssop,oriental and Iceland poppies which are dropping babies. I have not planted my pacific fire yet, nor have a bought a new computer chair.

For the weekends I put up a matchstick blind that partially obstructs my view from the people at the pool. They cannot see into my apartment and it is very sound proof with the windows closed but I sometimes feel I am watching reality TV when I do not really want to witness every time someone bends over in my direction or see the constant motion out of my peripheral vision. I hope it makes them feel less on display I know it helps me feel they are.

I took the flower pic a month ago with a cheap little finepix I picked up.

The second picture is an early am shot of the full window to the pool area. The third is how it looks with my matchstick privacy screen.
Attached Images

skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #1888
jinx
Come on, cat.

I love poppies, they are just so pretty.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #1889
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I think so too. I was hoping the hummers would think so but so far no luck. For the last year I have been trying to create a little hummer garden but so far they are just not interested. A year might seem like a long time but I actually only have a couple months to make the flowers be there ( blooming )at the exact moment the hummingbirds are. I just planted a clematis for next year or even this fall. I have a floor to ceiling window in that little corner and it would be perfect for viewing the little buggers.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #1890
Cloud

Oldest grandchild turns 13 today. Yikes!

Tags
dum, oh the whorror