The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 06-07-2006, 06:57 PM   #61
annoyedsas
Eavesdropper

Smile cure for cancer

Call me a glutton for punishment, but I just had to respond to Pie. "Fuck off and die"? I will gladly continue to stay away from the cellar (apart from the odd line here and there just to get you Americans going again) but die? No sorry, that won't happen because I am bloody healthy and fighting my cancer. By the way, if you all keep on like this, I think you will all be candidates for cancer. And Kim, I wouldn't keep on. This lot slag you off if you don't think like they do. I actually wonder if any of you noted that B17 wasn't the ONLY thing I am doing? It is just a small part of my regimen. If you weren't sitting down to write these threads, your brains might work better if you weren't squashing them. Keep going guys, I'm happy as Larry listening to y'all!!!
annoyedsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #62
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Instead of hard and fast proven data, Annoyed gives us "vitamin B17". a 5-minute search of the web turns it up at Quackwatch (emphasis is mine):
Stephen Barrett is an idiot who is fond of SLAPP lawsuits motivated by his own greed.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #63
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
No, I think that when a cancer cure is discovered, it will be the results of millions of dollars in research and a difficult and expensive manufacturing process. It will be expensive during the length of its patent, especially because of the large number of current patients who would want it. Eventually it would get cheaper with the introduction of generics and the increase of manufacturing capability.

But I think that because I don't think it is as easy as eating apricot pits. If an easy and cheap cancer cure were proven, there would be plenty of big-money sources that would benefit from its success. "Alternative medicine" isn't a victim of corporate deceit; it is a perpetrator.
Just like how aids treatments have gotten so much more available after all this time? Sure, all aids patients world wide are running around like Magic Johnson, right?
Old 06-08-2006, 12:22 AM   #64
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Exactly like that. AIDS treatments are much more available and somewhat cheaper now than they were when Magic got them. Not apricot pit cheap, but cheaper. And the patents haven't even expired yet, so the generics haven't fully entered the field, except in countries that waived the patents for public health purposes.

"Alternative medicine", however, is happy to sell you some tap water to help boost your immune system.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:46 AM   #65
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Alternative Medicine is absolutely big business, and likely to get bigger, because it's largely untested, unregulated, and unuseful. Sorry about the neologism, but I was going for the alliteration.

I know someone who has a very aggressive cancer, and instead of pursuing "Nasty Western Medicine" this very dear woman has been going to Mexico and paying $20K up front to spend some time in a hyperbaric chamber. Somehow she even got her boss to fund one of these excursions.

She says she feels great.

Of course she does. You always feel great when you are laying around in an oxygen rich environment. Feels wonderful. You get an excellent sense of well-being from it.

But that's about it, at least with respect to breast cancer that's metastisized to the brain and lymph nodes. Hyperbaric chambers are great for tissue growth after extensive damage to the epidermis, but damn little else.

Despite her feeling good, I honestly doubt she'll make it past November.

I'd love to be wrong.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:47 AM   #66
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Just like how aids treatments have gotten so much more available after all this time? Sure, all aids patients world wide are running around like Magic Johnson, right?
Although I'm not allowed to name names, I know about a dozen people on "The Cocktail" who only have Medicaid.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:15 AM   #67
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

You don't have to believe someone's story to have compassion for them.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:52 AM   #68
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Pretending that a fraud is true isn't compassionate.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:46 AM   #69
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyedsas
Call me a glutton for punishment,
You're a glutton for punishment.

I still think you're a shill for the cyanide--oops--'alternative medicine' company.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:53 AM   #70
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Stephen Barrett is an idiot who is fond of SLAPP lawsuits motivated by his own greed.
I have no particular interest or support for Barrett. I quoted it as a site that had citations of relevance.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #71
Kimberley
Rapscallion

Annoyedsas: sorry to hear about your cancer. What regimens are you treating your cancer with? There is a great website called curezone.com that you may want to post messages etc. I hope you get better. I have known a lot of people who have conquered cancer from alternative methods plus a mix of both alternative and orthodox medicine (surgery mainly). From personal experience in knowing people who have used alternative methods, Vitamin B17was only one of MANY methods they used at a time. Shark Cartliage supplements, yoga and juicing and many more were used. Also, it sounds like you have a POSITIVE mind which will help you during this difficult time as well. You should go over to curezone as they share stories about literally anything medical related. I used to get migraine headaches for the past 10 years and have stopped them in their tracks by taking magnesium everyday. I have been migraine-free for almost a year now!! I don't have cancer and hopefully I will never get it but I can't imagine those who have to go through it including yourself.
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #72
Kimberley
Rapscallion

About Vitamin B17:

Quote:
Instead of hard and fast proven data, Annoyed gives us "vitamin B17". a 5-minute search of the web turns it up at Quackwatch (emphasis is mine):
For one thing - QUACKWATCH?? Are you serious? Who believes anything they say on their site? They are the QUACKS.

The following people have been noted in the past for being QUACKS!

Christopher Columbus was attacked for saying the earth was round.

Gelieo was in prison for teaching that the earth moved around the sun.

The Wright Brothers were rediculed & condemned for claiming that a machine could fly above the earth.

William Harvery was disgraced as a physician for believing that blood was pumped by the heart & actually moved around the body through arteries.

Another known doctor as fired from his hospital post for requesting that his maternity staff wash their hands!

So tell me WHO ARE THE QUACKS HERE? Gee, like I'm going to believe them.

Vitamin C got rid of Scurvy and Vitamin D got rid of Rickets. Need I say more.
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #73
glatt

Yes. They laughed at Columbus. They laughed at Galileo. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #74
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Gee, kim, you and annoyedsas have really convinced me. I am in total agreement with you both. And, sure I'll join your cult. Aren't all you guys now convinced, too?

Maybe if no body says anything, they'll go away.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #75
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberley
About Vitamin B17:
So tell me WHO ARE THE QUACKS HERE? Gee, like I'm going to believe them.
So, again: Where is your scientific proof? Give me citations of peer reviewed, placebo controlled double-blind trials, and I'll take a look. Otherwise, stop wasting my time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberley
Vitamin C got rid of Scurvy and Vitamin D got rid of Rickets. Need I say more.
“For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.” - HL Menkin