The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-10-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Ray Hits the Road, Jack

An American classic has passed today. Ray Charles, who had long been in failing health, joined the Choir Celestial today.

Ray fused the Blues into the popular American consciousness like no one else. Snarling, moaning, shouting...nobody could wrestle a song into submission like Ray. And no one could put their own indelible mark on a piece. "Georgia on My Mind" had been put to paper for over 20 years before he sang it, but when you think of that song, you probably think of Ray.

From "Wha'd I Say?" to "Hit the Road, Jack", and perhaps one of the most memorable renditions of "America the Beautiful", Ray Charles' appeal crossed barriers of race, age and nationality. His resurgence in the popular American culture following his "Blues Brothers" appearance ("Shake A Tail Feather") resulted in a string of classic Pepsi commercials, a lot of public appearances, and a whole new audience for Ray.

My mother introduced me to Ray Charles. His voice, at once gritty yet silky, will be forever engraved in my memory. Thanks for teaching me what the Blues can sound like in the hands of a master, Ray.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:21 PM   #2
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

What can I say Els? You said it best. I just saw the news about this...sad. But, he lived a full life. Peace Ray.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

"Georgia on My Mind" had been put to paper for over 20 years before he sang it, but when you think of that song, you probably think of Ray.

Damn straight. He was one of the best and I'll have to have a drink for him, tonight. It is a shame we have to lose these legends to time.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:30 PM   #4
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

here's to Ray.
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:34 PM   #5
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Now THIS is a celebrity I'm going to miss.

Crap.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:39 PM   #6
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

"If I could moan like a mourning dove..."
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:46 PM   #7
glatt

He had a tiny, but positive, impact on my life. I liked him. He was always fun to watch and listen to.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:12 PM   #8
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I am truly sad about this. We have lost a truly great American today and sadly his death is overshadowed by the death of a loser who happened to be elected president. This week the biggest loss by far is Ray Charles.

Ray went blind when he was a kid and he saw his brother drown to death. Now they are together again. His music will remain to keep us company.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:14 PM   #9
Pi
desperate finder

That piece of news really spoiled the evening. Can't say that I'm a big fan but I loved hearing him singing. Great man. Hear you in heaven.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:22 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp
Now THIS is a celebrity I'm going to miss.

Crap.
My feelings exactly.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:09 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The worst part for me is now he can hear me singing along. But it's your fault, Ray, I just can't help myself. As soon as I hear you on the radio, you possess me and my soul.
Goodbye, old friend.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:47 PM   #12
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I was blessed to have heard Georgia on My Mind at the Laser show on the side of Stone Mountain back in 88. If you can get through that without welling up you are a bigger man or woman than me.

This weekend, I will watch the Blues Brothers and pay my respects to ole Ray.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #13
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar
I am truly sad about this. We have lost a truly great American today and sadly his death is overshadowed by the death of a loser who happened to be elected president. This week the biggest loss by far is Ray Charles.

Ray went blind when he was a kid and he saw his brother drown to death. Now they are together again. His music will remain to keep us company.
Counting all of your posts to date, since I joined the Cellar, I have to say that, in my opinion, that is the single most offensive post you have ever made.

It provides a gaping view into what looks to be a mind in such turmoil, and with so much inconsistency and self-recrimination that the only word I can conjure is pity. For you.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:11 PM   #14
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Damn, first Vincent Price, now Ray Charles....all of the good ones are being lost.

RIP, Ray.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:03 PM   #15
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

A real shame...he'll be missed.

Who will be #3?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote