The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Taxes 2005

Riddle me this, batman ... If I just paid $40 for Turbotax Deluxe with the state package, why are they asking me for ANOTHER $30 to submit my returns electronically?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Because that's how they make their money. If you don't want to pay it, just print out the returns and mail them in. That's perfectly fine to do.

Also, save you receipts. Tax preparation expenses are deductible.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Riddle me this, batman ... If I just paid $40 for Turbotax Deluxe with the state package, why are they asking me for ANOTHER $30 to submit my returns electronically?
Nickle and dime you. Year after year.

My CPA just includes the $30 in her $600 fee.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Government - Congressmen whose taxes are done for them by government employees - have made taxes so complicated that ‘Turbo Tax’, et al estimates you will spend maybe $100 for the software. Once it was only $20. Stopped using those expensive tax programs about 4 years ago when prices were easily over $50 - and increasing. Instead use one of those free tax programs offered by the IRS web site whenever I can.

Another trick is to download the *.PDF form and fill in those numbers. Print or mail that form. However the *.PDF form still does not add numbers automatically as it could.

One law: every Congressman must do their own taxes without any consultants or tax lawyers. Suddenly tax laws will get readable again. I don't expect it to happen. Too many Congressmen (ie Delay, Stevens) make laws they want because they are loyal and self serving Democrats and Republicans - which means being American is secondary. Yes I do question their patriotism - such as the rudderless Nancy Pelosi.

Did the software get 4 times more complex compared to when it was only $20 for everything? No. But by encouraging incumbent Congressman to not simplify tax law, then everyone including the 'bought and paid for' Congressman profit at your expense. CPA costing $thousands are now required (and MBA types claim this creates more jobs and therefore makes the economy healthy).

Too many will welcome the 'Tax Cut' solution rather than attack the problem: ie Rick Santorum who is up for reelection this November.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Why would you buy the software separately, when you can just run it off their website and not pay anything at all until you decide to officially e-file?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
What is the national average dollar amount per refund and what percentage receive one?

You know how annoyed I get every year with filling out all the forms and such so I'm not defending TT or the tax code for sure. The reality seems to be that most people will get one or two thousand back and compared to 2 grand, what's $70 ? What's another $100 for that matter?

Yes, it is also true that the $70 fee is to get back your money in the first place.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, the fee is for convenience. It only costs 39 cents to file.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
glatt

I have never paid anyone to do my taxes, nor have I paid for software. I was very proud and all superiour thinking about this until last year, when I discovered that for three years, I hadn't been taking advantage of a particular loophole I could use. I read about this loophole in Parade magazine, of all places. So I went back and filed amended returns for three previous years, and got $200 for each amended return I filed. Took about 2 hours of research and paperwork to get that $600 back. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it,) my income is just over the threshold for being eligible for that particular loophole this year.

After discovering that my incompetence nearly cost me $600, I'm not nearly as cocky about doing my taxes myself, but I still do them because I am cheap.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Speaking of which, anyone care to share any fun loopholes they've come across?

...please? I'm single, I own no property, and the IRS loooooves me.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:09 AM   #10
glatt

No. You're pretty much screwed.

Can you at least file the EZ form? I miss those simple days.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Speaking of which, anyone care to share any fun loopholes they've come across?

...please? I'm single, I own no property, and the IRS loooooves me.
Well, you could fumigate your house and claim the loss of a stable of thouroughbred North American racing cockroaches.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Thirty nine cents???

Did the cost of stamps go up again?
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #13
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Government has now announced a (potential) rule change. Those tax software companies can sell information on your tax forms. The George Jr administration approves of this idea. I think they just tried to slip that one past us and the press caught wind of it. Actually, when you submit your tax returns to a tax preparation company, technically, they own the data.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:53 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR
Thirty nine cents???

Did the cost of stamps go up again?
Yes, at the beginning of February.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #15
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Do we get a grace period to use up old stamps and buy new ones?

Pardon me for not watching the news beyond the weather forecast.
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote