The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Am I mad...???

Soooo......opinions, criticism, random thoughts....

Im thinking of moving... 4 hours away....it has a lot to do with a new start, a fair bit to do with a job and a bit less to do with a guy (he is the lesser part because it might last 3 minutes).

I have my final interview for the job on Tuesday and then its crunch time I guess....all of a sudden I am crapping bricks because I might be moving these 2 little boys away from their grandparents, I really dont know anybody up there, but its a great place and has a lot of opportunities.

I will be setting up totally independant of the dude (its complicated, he's in a relationship) and I dont really think that will develop anyway, but its in the back of the mind.

Oh, the other big plus is there's a fairly big army base near by

My parents are elderly, my Dad is quite ill, but I know part of the reason they havent packed up and travelled is because of me and the boys...they know I rely on them a bit for backup.

Im so torn and excited and nervous....
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Will you be able to afford professional daycare for the boys with your new gig? The guy is in a relationship, so you need to zero out his impact on this decision. He does not exist. Harsh but true. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Wut Griff said!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Consider, also, that your parents might need you.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sell your house, or rent it out? Kids changing schools & friends?

Downside - 4 hours can be a short ride, or an eternity, depending on the urgency.
Upside - Your smart and capable of adjusting to, or rebounding from, a move that doesn't go well as planned.

I think you've already made up your mind your in a rut, and need a change... again. I hope you find what you're looking for, of course if it's change your seeking, that's pretty much a sure thing.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
casimendocina
Professor

How does this fit in with your other thread????? (Guess I should probably refer back to it before asking the question. Hold on a sec.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:11 AM   #7
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Griff/Classic....Yeah, the guy doesnt really factor in to my decision, but its in the back of my mind that he is there and he's an awesome guy, so he would be there for me in the friend catergory if nothing else...I know I can rely on him if I need him to pick up the kids etc.

Daycare isnt an issue, I pay for it now on less money, both the boys will be in school next year and the new gig is really family friendly with a *games room* for after school entertainment and a gym/spa for me

Spexxie - I know my parents need me, I got called out there this afternoon to help with chores, but, I think me being so close and handy is bandaiding a decision they NEED to make. I know they wont leave whilst I am here....they have been talking about selling up and buying a caravan, they can park on my lawn no matter where I am.

Bruce - Rent this house out, it will practically "wipe its own nose" mortgage v's rent, and it was always going to be an investment house eventually. This is the change I should of made 18 months ago, instead of just changing jobs. Kids are both young enough that the move wont upset them too much, Tyler has new friends every week and Addison isnt in school yet and is a bit of a loner - they will be happy where ever I am...they will miss the grandparents though.

Casi....it doesnt factor in with the other thread at all, the other thread is scratching an itch.

IF I get the job (I've applied for 3 others) and IF I decide this is the right thing to do, I'll have to rent for a while and that will be difficult with the animals (personally I'd prefer to rent to someone with pets than kids...but apparently no one else thinks that way) and I HATE moving house because I have way too much shit, plus it costs a small fortune to move...sigh...

Yesterday I was dead set going to do it, today its all too hard and I should just suck it up and stay here.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Being an out-of-town landlord can be deadly.
If you do rent out your place, get a good Property Manager firm
If you do get a Property Manager, do a LOT of research on them be for signing a contract.
If you do a lot of research, include talking with some of their clients.
It's pay me now or pay me later.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 AM   #9
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Being an out-of-town landlord can be deadly.
If you do rent out your place, get a good Property Manager firm
If you do get a Property Manager, do a LOT of research on them be for signing a contract.
If you do a lot of research, include talking with some of their clients.
It's pay me now or pay me later.
Being an in-town landlord can be just as deadly. Tenants that start off with what appear to be impeccable rent histories can drop their bundle and stop paying, refuse to answer their phones/return messages, open their mail and then reneg on payment plans. Not that every tenant is like that...you just have to be prepared for unreliability. Take out landlord insurance.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

What did you decide?

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Mad as a Hatter , But thats why we Lurve You Ducky !!
Life's an Adventure !!!!
Have fun , take it Light , and Pics of the new digs ASAP !!!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #12
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimendocina View Post
Being an in-town landlord can be just as deadly. Tenants that start off with what appear to be impeccable rent histories can drop their bundle and stop paying, refuse to answer their phones/return messages, open their mail and then reneg on payment plans. Not that every tenant is like that...you just have to be prepared for unreliability. Take out landlord insurance.
Thank god (or whatever deity happens to be out there) for the Residential Tenancies Tribunal.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #13
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
Pics of the new digs ASAP !!!!!
Waiting.....
Old 08-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #14
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Im still toying with the idea.....actually, Im waiting to get a job that is awesome and that I cant say no too!! I have another interview up there tomorrow.

On the plus side, I spoke to my parents and they are now downsizing since they realise that I may be moving and wont be able to do the chainsawing, wood splitting, pump starting, tractor driving, lawn mowing, light bulb changing etc that I have been.

I know its the right move, but I just want the decision made for me. I hate the new Business Manager at work and Im not very good at pretending to kiss someones arse I have no respect for, I have my annual reveiw Thursday, and when they ask me where I plan to be in 12 months time I will have trouble saying "not fucking here!!"
Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Bring the rents with you!