The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #61
MrVisible
May Ter Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
No, that's not his statement about it at all. (Did you read it?)
You are instead quoting the Post retracting what they wrote about what Tahiri wrote.
Yes, I read it. But when I'm trying to establish someone's veracity, I don't just check back with them to see if they still say they're right. I check the facts. And the facts just don't bear out Tahiri's story.

But that doesn't seem to be your style. Tell you what, here you go. I'm telling you the truth. I'm telling you the truth. I'm telling you the truth. There, now you have to believe me, if you use the same criteria you're applying to Tahiri.

Quote:
Pardon me, but your "typo" story severely strains my credulity...
I forgive you. Now, do you really think that someone who lies about the situation in Iran should be consulted by the White House as an expert on the situation in Iraq? Ever think about answering that particular question, or are do you just plan to dance around it some more?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #62
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
No, it isn't.

You do know the difference between Iraq and Iran?
My apologies, I read it too fast, and concentrated more on "expert" than "Iraq".
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #63
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Taheri's original statement was that the law was passed by one sector of Iranian government. He then went on to speculate what the law would consist of. The righty papers ran with his comment as if it was law and as if the the speculated part was already a part of it. Taheri included too much speculation in his original article but it's the fault of the righty papers for getting it wrong.

This article from Assyrians in Iran summarizes it well. The law is to institute the nature of Islamic dress, not to differentiate non-Muslims.
Quote:
The logic of the current Iranian Islamic Republic is not to create, first of all, ghettoes and special regulations for dhimmi, non-Muslim citizens who are second class. It is rather the contrary: everyone must follow the Islamic rules -- even veils for women who are visiting, including foreign Ministers -- and contribute to give the impression of "normality" and "universality" of Muslim civilization as defined by the mullahs.
Which it already does; if you are a woman in Iran you will be heavily scrutinized for acceptably Muslim costume. They just want to do it more.
Quote:
"We have already admonished and 'educated' 32,000 women and 64 men for their clothing and behaviour", said the Tehran police chief, Morteza Talaei. He was speaking on 23 May, giving a first account of the work of the Police Guidance Patrols (religious police) introduced in the Iranian capital. In all, 7,000 shops have been visited, and 190 were fined for violating the ban on selling non "Islamic" clothes and other goods.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #64
warch
lurkin old school

Dare to unwrap your womenfolk.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #65
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisible
I forgive you. Now, do you really think that someone who lies about the situation in Iran should be consulted by the White House as an expert on the situation in Iraq?
Not a germane question until you show me where Taheri lied. His words, not third-hand commentary. Until then it's question-begging (in the petitio principii sense).

Last edited by MaggieL; 06-07-2006 at 10:29 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #66
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
He then went on to speculate what the law would consist of.
Essentially on target, although I'd characterize it differently from "speculation"...he's describing what his sources inside the Majlis told him about what the "consensus" was likely to consist of...at least before the brouhaha.

As I read it, the law actualy reifies ahead of time the "consensus of a committee that consists of members from the Ministry of Islamic Orientation, the Ministry of Commerce and the Cultural Subcommittee of the Islamic Majlis" with final approval by Khamenei...the lawmaking as such is already done.

It's just so convenient having an official state religion, you can incorporate such a pronoucement by reference in law retroactively without having to actually legislate again.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:23 AM   #67
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
Dare to unwrap your womenfolk.
I'm on it.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:29 AM   #68
Buddug

No . The idea of men unwrapping 'their' womenfolk is just as bad as the idea of men wrapping up their womenfolk . Women should be the ones to decide to wrap or unwrap themselves . Full stop .
Old 06-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #69
Griff
still says videotape

Not to worry, that is part of what warch was saying. She is sufficiently progressive.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #70
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddug
Women should be the ones to decide to wrap or unwrap themselves .
Or each other. Now that's progressive.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #71
Buddug

Excellent , MaggieL ! I keep meaning to go , and someone makes me laugh again . And I stay , and stay , and stay ....
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #72
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddug
Excellent , MaggieL ! I keep meaning to go , and someone makes me laugh again . And I stay , and stay , and stay ....
i believe there are 12-Step Meetings for this now. One day at at time, brother! One day at a time!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:42 AM   #73
Buddug

My life is more in the two-step / foxtrot line , Brianna .
Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #74
wolf
lobber of scimitars

And that is why you should stay.

After a few days you won't be making 70 posts a day. It will roll back to a more reasonable maintenance level of addiction. Really. We've all been there.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #75
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
i believe there are 12-Step Meetings for this now. One day at at time, brother! One day at a time!
I wish.