The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-30-2020, 07:38 PM   #421
glatt

My governor just told us all that June 10th is the earliest we will be free to travel.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #422
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

He's a Democrat AND a doctor; so, he has to one-up everyone else.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:19 PM   #423
sexobon

Here's a nicely written article that looks at the pros and cons of wearing facemasks, non-medical masks in particular, in public. It comes as the CDC considers the overall value of adding the practice to its guidelines:

Old 03-30-2020, 10:20 PM   #424
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
... June 10th is the earliest we will be free to travel.
Then we can all say, "What happened to spring?" And not be suffering from dementia.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #425
Griff
still says videotape

Does anyone have insight into what's happening in Florida? Are they depending on local response?
Old 04-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #426
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

China Concealed Extent of Virus Outbreak, U.S. Intelligence Says

Quote:
China has concealed the extent of the coronavirus outbreak in its country, under-reporting both total cases and deaths it’s suffered from the disease, the U.S. intelligence community concluded in a classified report to the White House, according to three U.S. officials.

The officials asked not to be identified because the report is secret and declined to detail its contents. But the thrust, they said, is that China’s public reporting on cases and deaths is intentionally incomplete. Two of the officials said the report concludes that China’s numbers are fake.
I don't like it when anonymous intelligence officials make claims to the press. But this is not shocking news. The CDC said early on that they could not depend on China's numbers, and were using the figures from travel-related illnesses for their projections.

This thing was a mystery for far too long because of those fuckers. They even continue to lie today. The world is left to clean up their mess. Chinese government is asshoe.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:23 PM   #427
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The CDC said early on that they could not depend on China's numbers, and were using the figures from travel-related illnesses for their projections.
But not earliest on: apparently Dr. Brix noted during yesterday's conference that the CDC depended on China's information during the early phase. That makes sense, as it took time for travelers to travel, and for their illnesses to be diagnosed and more information collected. The point at which I saw the CDC say they were using travel information was a few days into the US reaction.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #428
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Of course China lied. They're using 5000 funerary urns per day above normal use. Or were.

That being said, deaths in NYC passed the 1000 mark.

https://apnews.com/57ed90189a682fff96b25e7e1805facf
Old 04-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #429
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Ok, what remarks did the doctor make that you find disconcerting?
Not to beat a dead horse; but, your video doctor may have found a protagonist in Trump:

With the video doctor's peers; however, not so much:

Quote:
Surgeon General Jerome Adams said last month that people could increase their chance of getting coronavirus if they wore masks without training. Dr. Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health, an immunologist who is a member of the White House coronavirus task force, said weeks ago that wearing a mask could encourage people to touch their face more, possibly increasing their chance of infection.
[BOLD MINE]

The disparity between the video doc and other prominent docs is also disconcerting.

It'll be interesting to see what lessons are learned and by whom.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #430
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Surgeon General
@Surgeon_General
There remains scant evidence wearing a mask- especially improperly- provides much benefit to a healthy wearer.

However emerging data suggests facial coverings may prevent asymptomatic disease transmission to others.
6h ago as of 1230 pacific time 02 Apr 2020

emphasis mine
if you're doing it wrong, it's gonna be wrong. As for dead horses, the doctor in the first video stressed that the purpose of wearing a mask was to help the wearer become alert to the unconscious habit of touching one's face and to stop doing it. so if you're doing it, touching your face either because you're wearing a mask or because you don't have a mask to help you become aware that you're touching your face, you're still not helping yourself by touching your face and the mask is irrelevant. I suppose if the mask makes you touch your face *more*, that's a problem, but maybe you're just not using the right mask.

Everybody says stop touching your face.

If a mask helps accomplish this, great. Pockets work too--until you take your hand from your pocket to touch your face. The current news that masks maybe/probably help reduce transmission of the disease FROM asymptomatic carriers is good news in addition to any face touching reductions masks may facilitate.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #431
sexobon

Old 04-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #432
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I saw this today...
Quote:
Under its newest COVID-19 prevention guidelines, China does not include in its overall daily count for total and for new cases those who retest positive after being released from medical care. China also does not include asymptomatic cases in case counts.
Retest positive? Reinfected?
Don't count asymptomatic who have tested positive or not tested?
Hmm, more suspicion on their numbers.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #433
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Does anyone have insight into what's happening in Florida? Are they depending on local response?
They finally locked down on the 1st
Old 04-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #434
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I think it's been reported as fact that this is a rich people first virus. Early cases in Mexico were rich folks who vacationed in Colorado. If you fly you have a higher chance of picking this up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Yes but

Lower Merion population: 59,000. lower-upper class to upper-upper class. Cases: 71

2 miles away, Norristown population: 35,000. lower-lower class to lower-middle class. Cases: 4

Just saying, it's an interesting phenomenon
Here, zipcode and ethnic stats show it's the poorer people who are getting infected

https://www.washtenaw.org/3108/Cases...0W0E4r0lv0Bkp0

48197 and 48198 are the zips for Ypsilanti and cover the poorest areas in the county.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #435
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You can see hope on this map

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

In the middle of the page, second map down is "Where cases are rising fastest". The places it hit first and people went into harder lockdown mode are turning light pink. Seattle, SF, Brooklyn, and here in PA, Montgomery County and Chester County. Here, new rates are taking longer than a week to double. Hopefully this means the curve has changed in these locations.