The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-06-2004, 12:57 AM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Pre-Judging and Predjudice

I sometimes feel like there are about 15 to 20 different types of people. body types. AND personality types. Everyone is different, obviously, and in significant enough degrees that you really can't base a decision about someone on what someone who LOOKED like them, or ACTED like them... did or said. Yet, I think that there is a mild corelation between body type and personality type. A person's appearance gives you clues about who you're about to meet, and you unconsciously narrow your field of expected traits to suit.

When I first came on here, I created mental images in my head when i imagined a person who's post i was reading.

maybe i'm nuts, but until i meet someone that i've talked to on the phone or online, i have a loose image of what that person looks like which i can only say is based on some other person iv'e met's voice similarity. or tone or diction, or "feel" from this kind of a forum. those of you who read this that have not seen my picture, may have a mental image of me. I imagined Elspode with slicked back hair, a pipe and a smoking jacket....oh, and a snidely type mustache. ZippyT looks exactly like i thought he would. in spode's case, i was WAY off, but then, i did get zippy right. Wolf, you looked like Lucy from peanuts!....

It's like when you're reading a book, and you "set" the characters in your mind's eye. they exist in a location from your memory, unless the author is going out of his way to paint the picture for you.

I pay attention to this, and it helps me in my work. I have a relatively small amount of time with a customer, and I'm expected to sell them something even though they've been warned by Dianne Sawyer, and their Uncle Lou, who got ripped off by some schmuck on a used car lot. You have to be able to "suss" people quickly, and approach from a direction that makes the customer comfortable. Sometimes, I'll curse intentionally with younger customers in order to "bond" with them, and let them trust me. With older customers, it's all "yes, sir" , " yes ma'am"

People are as different as snowflakes, yet they are made of the same stuff.

this all feels vaguely familiar ~ ~~creepy~~~
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:04 AM   #2
Nothing But Net
Professor

jim, I've posted enough pictures of myself around here everyone knows what I look like. And sycamore has actually met me and hoisted a few.

I picture you as a Paul Bunyan type. Or the guy on the Brawny paper towel rolls (old style, the new guy looks gay). BTW, how's Babe?
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:06 AM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

babe's blue
Old 02-06-2004, 10:31 AM   #4
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
babe's blue
OH...MY...GOD....I'm almost crying here!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

And you see me how?

Don't say like an asshole..I know that much.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
And you see me how?

Don't say like an asshole..I know that much.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

File Not Found looks like Dolph Lundgren?

LJ, I don't even know how to take your initial mental image of me. Do I really write that stuffy?

Shit.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:47 PM   #8
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

LJ if you are talking about the pic from the member gallery there IS a story behind that pose . At the time i was getting between 70-80 hours a week at work , my wife , kids , and 2-3 other family went camping on the TN river . Because of work we couldn't leave untill 11pm . When we got to our camp site it was like 3am and raining so hard it was like somepody was following you with a fire hose over your head . I set up our BIG MONDO HOOCH tent , crammed EVERY body in it . The next morning I woke up befor ever body else , gathered fire wood , started a fire , and coffie , then i helped EVERY body else set up their tents and get the camp site in Marine corps shape .
When that pic was taken i had had a few beers , and "J"'s , and i was layed back in a hammoc catching a breeze from the river and watching the girls in bikinis go by in boats . The wifes and other husbands were playing cards , the kids were all playing nice and haveing fun and i was as about supremly happy aand content as i have EVER been in my life !!!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:38 PM   #9
farfromhome
Management Consultant

Jim: Couldn't you have started this thread by saying mental pictures?What I mean is: How you visualize someone doesn't necessarily "prejudice" you.Does it?Or is the word prejudice too much of a trigger word?Hunch perhaps?
Old 02-06-2004, 11:44 PM   #10
farfromhome
Management Consultant

It is a great idea though.Most of yours are.Keep it up.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:58 PM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

well, pre judging was what I began with, but prejudice, I think, would apply as well, because we often act a certain way toward people based upon what we know of those that appeared or acted like them in the past. Sometimes that is the right thing to do, smoetimes it's not.

And thank you. I'll do my best.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:20 AM   #12
Nothing But Net
Professor

farfromhome, you seem like someone who needs a keyboard replacement. Apparently your Space Bar isn't always working.
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:31 AM   #13
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by zippyt

When that pic was taken i had had a few beers , and "J"'s , and i was layed back in a hammoc catching a breeze from the river and watching the girls in bikinis go by in boats . The wifes and other husbands were playing cards , the kids were all playing nice and haveing fun and i was as about supremly happy aand content as i have EVER been in my life !!!

I know what you mean. I had a very similar experience in a canyon in new mexico.
this is a link to the beginning of that very long story.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:37 AM   #14
farfromhome
Management Consultant

"space bar"

Oh,that big thing down there.Hmm...
To tell you the truth I've never liked my text the way its printed doing it the correct way.Its just a little personal pet peeve of mine.But "(big space bar)" thanks for making me feel like I'm ay work.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:38 AM   #15
farfromhome
Management Consultant

At