The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-10-2004, 12:07 AM   #46
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I hate everyone by default...it makes things so much easier.
Fortunately, my family moved from near Default out here to Grandview many years ago. That's why Syc and I are such pals...

Old 02-10-2004, 12:33 AM   #47
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe

As I said before, I didn't post this in order to polarize people. And also as I said before, perhaps I should not have posted it in the first place.

A combination of external stressors and then having to deal with behavior that, IMO, was unprovoked, just aggravated me to the point that I wanted to make clear why I was doing what I did. I wasn't trying to START an argument. I was just making clear that I wasn't going to be pulled into one.

I can fully admit that maybe I wasn't thinking, or thinking of the "ignore" button for that matter (I don't often go to the user cp, so I forgot completely that the ignore feature was there). I allowed someone to annoy me to the point that I just reacted. However, my "ignore" list is now properly updated, so it's no longer an issue.

Sidhe

So, you weren't trying to start an argument, so you thought you'd create a thread to not have an argument on?

Oh, and wouldn't THIS topic have been best suited for the think hole since it's mainly about you?

I think you're a little mixed up. Have you been eating your vegetables?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:37 AM   #48
novice
Ignorance is bliss and I'm orgasmic

Smile

Lady Sidhe, i'm guessing you wish you hadn't, in a fit of pique, started this thread but you did and, in all fairness, got your just desserts.
Now moving from my soap box to the pressure cooker atmosphere of a warship on deployment ( * oh no he's on about warships again* ), the very things that caused interpersonal tension later became the fond memories we laughed about over a cold beer. Naturally this is an accelerated process in such close confines whereas in the real world you simply walk away from those who shit you.
On a ship i'm trapped physically but here i'm also trapped cos I like coming here. It's streets ahead of most other rooms i've seen.
I intend to hang around so eventually i'll ruffle someone's feathers ( I recall calling Wolf a man shortly after joining ) or they'll ruffle mine. It's inevitable.
The point i'm trying laboriously to make is BIG DEAL. Everybody concerned will get over it unless I a/ ceaselessy bitch about it or b/make it personal.
Don't sweat it.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:28 AM   #49
blue
Operations Operative

There is nothing here that cannot be solved by a good get naked party.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:21 AM   #50
storm
I wasted time, and now doth time waste me

Maybe ( or aprilfly ) Lady Sidhe and Wolf are the same person suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder !!!!!
Quote:
Let us make a special effort to stop communicating with each other, so we can have some conversation.
Judith Martin
storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:10 PM   #51
Rokko
Fresh Incumbent

Quote:
Originally posted by blue58
There is nothing here that cannot be solved by a good get naked party.
amen to that.
Rokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:10 PM   #52
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Quote:
Originally posted by novice

The point i'm trying laboriously to make is BIG DEAL. Everybody concerned will get over it unless I a/ ceaselessy bitch about it or b/make it personal.
Don't sweat it.
I am over it . She's on my ignore list. And I do appreciate your not jumping down my back over it.

I have learned an unspoken rule from this thread, though: you're not allowed any oopses if you're new, because you're automatically seen as being whiny and melodramatic. I'll definitely change my attitude. Not everyone's been that way to me, for which I thank them, but many have acted as if I'm trying to make trouble, which I'm not. It seems that "I apoligize" doesn't mean much when people are determined to see you the way they want to see you.

Shit happens. Like you said, I'm not sweating it. I'll just go on doing what I always do, and that's try to be as pleasant to others as they are to me.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:24 PM   #53
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:33 PM   #54
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Fore!

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:56 PM   #55
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
If you think it's trivial, then don't read it.
This is why I voted in favor of giving you your own forum.

[By the way, the chances that your occupation has anything to do with wolf's apparent dislike of you are minimal.]
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:14 AM   #56
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Minimal to the point of approaching zero.

If people really work at it you might also end up on her ignore list ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:06 AM   #57
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
I have learned an unspoken rule from this thread, though: you're not allowed any oopses if you're new, because you're automatically seen as being whiny and melodramatic.
Apparently there's another unspoken rule, which dictates that the "regulars" may never be at all critical of new members who are unfamiliar with how the community works, because new people tend to be delicate, and are easily emotionally bruised. Well, we've just been stomping around on those eggshells like a bunch of bone-eating ogres, haven't we? So sorry.

The Ignore List is such a blessing for people intolerant of the opinions of others... it lets one filter out any views not in line with one's own. The sticking-fingers-in-the-ears-and-going-LA-LA-LA-LA defense makes debate so much more warm and unabrasive... like a good, satisfying bowel movement.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:20 AM   #58
Riddil
Management Consultant

^^^ well said.

I used to feel the same way Sidhe does about online posting. It's a great thing when everyone almost agrees about something, and only the details need to be ironed out.

But when you get people that sit on opposite ends of the spectrum it's very easy to slip into an emotional shelter to protect the logical argument. It becomes easier to question character since both parties see their stance as so blindingly obvious there's no way to just "explain it to them".

And that's when the fur starts to fly.

But now I like confrontation. It's a great way to point out each and every tiny flaw in your argument/idea/post, and forces you to make concessions and alter your mode of speech in order to get your point across. So the theme remains the same... but your ability to express it improves.

But yeah, if things turn into on all-out personal attack time after time.... ignore is the answer! (Although I doubt wolf would resort to a baseless diatribe).
Riddil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:26 AM   #59
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Riddil.

No baseless diatribes here ... only based ones.

I don't usually need to go to diatribe level, anyway.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:28 AM   #60
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:

I have learned an unspoken rule from this thread, though: you're not allowed any oopses if you're new, because you're automatically seen as being whiny and melodramatic.

Sidhe
I had kind of held back on this, because I recently made some similar statements about negativity. I think the big difference was that I realized relatively quickly that i was being a sissy about it, and backed off. Sidhe, I've noticed, however is nearly unshakable from her position. claims to be open minded do not in itself make you open minded. I realized as i read th eabove posts that sidhe was the one that had the friend who's hubby was fooling around, and while she started the thread asking for advice, she basically just stuck to her initial opinion and argued with everyone who had a different perception of what she described.

so, considering what I've just said, I'd make a slight adjustment to your unspoken rule:

"you're not allowed to be whiny and melodramatic if you're new"

That's because no one knows you well enough to like you yet, and you will not often be given a pass by EVERYONE. if 5 or 6 people have given you some shit, i think it's safe to assume that twice or three times that number had similar thoughts but just didn;t say it out loud (kind of like cockroaches where every one you see represents 50 you don;t)
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote