The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-09-2004, 12:40 AM   #16
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Where's famous ring announcer Michael Buffer when you need him..... 'Let's get reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaady to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumble'
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:57 AM   #17
Rokko
Fresh Incumbent

I dont get it. I really dont.

In everyday life, people have to deal with people they see as assholes. If your neighbor is an asshole, you dont start a whiney discussion throughout the neighborhood. If your co-worker is an asshole or you dont like him/her, you learn to deal with it and work around it and not complain to your boss.

Internet forums are the same deal. In life, you wont like certain people, there should be no exception on an internet forum.

There are all sorts of people in the real world, and there are all sorts of people in any given interney forum, granted they might share a common intrest, but that doesnt mean they have to like eachother.

Sidhe, wolf, play nice.

And if you choose not to, dont make me hear about it.

-The Newbie
Rokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:15 AM   #18
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokko
If your neighbor is an asshole, you dont start a whiney discussion throughout the neighborhood. If your co-worker is an asshole or you dont like him/her, you learn to deal with it and work around it and not complain to your boss.
People start whiny discussions about their neighbors and coworkers all the time. It's called gossip.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:18 AM   #19
Rokko
Fresh Incumbent

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

People start whiny discussions about their neighbors and coworkers all the time. It's called gossip.
Arent gossipers highly disrespected?

Hmm. Methinks so.

Anyways, I stand by my point. There are assholes in life. Deal with em.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:21 AM   #20
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokko
Arent gossipers highly disrespected?
It depends. Sometimes, I find them to be scum. Other days, they are a valuable source of information.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:36 AM   #21
Rokko
Fresh Incumbent

Yeah, me too. Oh well.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:35 AM   #22
Riddil
Management Consultant

Wow, this is great. I thoroughly enjoy a good mud-slinging contest in the morning.

*applaud*

It's funny b/c Sidhe honestly reminds me a lot of my ex. At 25, my ex is in her junior year for an under-grad in Physics, and is already setting plans for her masters in Physics... and planning to move on for her PhD. She talks about how much she loves it. Great future, etc etc.

But honestly it's all a show. She really doesn't like it. She can barely understand it. She *kills* herself just to squeek by. All because she has some idea in her head that if she gets a PhD in Physics then people will finally have to admit that she's smart. If anyone ever calls her an idiot, or stupid, whatever, all she has to do is wave that piece of paper above her head and shout, "No I am not! I am a certified smart person!"

She reads. She reads every book that society deems intellectual, or insightful. But she never understands them. She can't remember most of the key plot points, and she doesn't understand any of the deeper meanings. It's all a show so that when she meets people she can feel equal or better since she's read such a great range of titles.

She's stuck in her beliefs. Somehow she believes she's open-minded, and can stand for a good debate. But once she's fixated on an idea then *bam*, that's the honest to God truth, and she will never bend. You can talk yourself blue in the face and give 100 examples but she will not budge on a single point. And the reason? Because if she DID change her mind then she feels like she'd be admitting that she is wrong, and you are right. (I once argued for 30 minutes trying to convince her that when you're sick, getting extra sleep is a good thing. She maintained that when you're sick you should sleep *less*, that sleep is *bad* for you. Her entire argument? When you're sick and you wake up in the morning you feel terrible. Once you're up and moving you feel better.) *smacks forehead*

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Sidhe is near half that bad. She actually is well spoken and understands things at a deeper level than most. But still, the parallels are... amusing.
Riddil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #23
blue
Operations Operative

Uh oh, I think the love is gone...
Old 02-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #24
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

At one point somebody mentioned that Lady Sidhe was just like April but 15 years older.

My god...you were so right.

I didn't really buy it at the time. But damn...you were so right!

This post sounds exactly like the crap April was pulling.

"Ok FNF, just ignore me, I'll ignore you." 15 seconds later.

Thread: "STAY AWAY FROM FNF!!!!!!!"

This is the exact same thing.

There is no need to post "Why won't wolf play nice with me?" threads.

We really don't care if Wolf is being a bully.

Hell if I was you I'd be happy that Insoluble isn't around or that I don't think that you're 'all that bad' despite your idiotic forum. (Which I think is great because it keeps you confined.) But with every idiotic thread like this you make me want to flame you at every opportunity, and with you there are plenty.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:14 AM   #25
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe
And the whole point of the thread was not really to start a discussion, as such.
Sidhe, if you have the thick skin that you claim, and you really don't care whether Wolf likes you, and your intent truly is to ignore her from now on, why even start this thread? What's the point? If you're going to ignore someone, there is little to gain in announcing it to the world as you did, aside from trying to tarnish everyone else's opinion of that person. But I think your only accomplishment here was to make yourself look like an over-sensitive drama queen. If you don't like someone, use the Ignore button, or the handy Ignore feature in your head. But if you feel the desire to rebutt, the Post Reply button is a better option than the New Thread button.

I don't waste my time watching soap operas, so why would I want to participate in one? Only YOU can save the Cellar from drama pollution!
Old 02-09-2004, 12:22 PM   #26
Riddil
Management Consultant

And even if these types of post are well-intentioned they normally do tend to take a turn for the worse.

I even regret the earlier post I made, b/c it just adds a little more negativity to the mix. It's easy to keep threads civil as long as they are about ideas, thoughts & events. But as soon as a post is created about someone then it typically errodes to a WWE wrestling match.

There's a lot of smack-talking, name-calling, everyone gets all worked up and all the spectators get really excited... And in the end no one really gets hurt, the fighters look silly, and 99% of the time you're not even sure who really won.

A little bit of banter back-and-forth in a debate is fine. But when the focus of discussion becomes a problem with another member the best course of action is to typically take it to PM's. Airing dirty laundry in public is rarely the best choice.
Riddil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:25 PM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The extent to which Lady Sidhe makes herself look foolish is not my concern.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:50 PM   #28
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Sidhe I am not trying to jump down your back here, and I don't know Wolf well enough to side with her, BUT I have read a lot of what she has posted back to you on other threads (esp. since you started this thread) and from my point of view most of it doesn't appear as bad as you seem to be taking it. Yes there were a few comments but none frankly seemed all that bad. Like I said I am not trying to gang up on you as I really don't care if you like Wolf or not, but maybe a step back should be taken as I think your allowing more emotion to get involved then you think you are. Just my opinion, take it or leave it.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:35 PM   #29
Michael Roth
Minister of Lurking

Sometimes the less said, the better. Message boards are full of posts that are unneccesary, going on and on about nothing. Sometimes people forget the rules, both legal and of simple general good conduct. In those instances, perhaps a reminder, subtle or not, is better welcomed than spurned.

Of course, that being said, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, doesn't it? High profile, loud...attention getting. I may employ that ignore function yet, for the first time.
"You must be," said the Cat. "Or else you wouldn't have come here."

Michael Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:45 PM   #30
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I have a question. Sidhe, is your husband a member of the cellar? what's his name?

ok that's 2 questions. dont start a thread about me.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote