The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-09-2004, 03:59 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Bad Drivers

We all know on an instinctive level that drivers from other states drive poorly.

As a Pennsylvania driver, I am well aware that people from New Jersey and Maryland bribed someone to pass their licensing exams, and I am prepared to deal with them passing on the right, making a right hand turn from the left hand lane, and generally behaving badly.

I was wondering what the experience of folks from other states was ... who do you blame for causing a moving roadway hazard on your interstates?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

here in arizona it is a nightmare. we have people from all over the country and each region has different accepted driving methods, such as CA's lane change method - turn signal flashes 3 times, move without looking because they assume everyone saw their flasher and moved. folks from mexico drive in the left hand lane at any speed they decide, ignoring traffic piling up behind them.

anyway - you probably see we have everyone's bad habits coming together to create a wonderful adventure we call arizona traffic.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
glatt

Is it possible they are driving badly because they are unfamiliar with the area? They are looking for and seeing signs at the last minute, leaving them with the option of veering across lanes of traffic to get their turn, or missing thier turn and getting really lost.

I'm a better driver in my own neck of the woods than in some strange city.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:19 PM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Re: Bad Drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
As a Pennsylvania driver, I am well aware that people from New Jersey and Maryland bribed someone to pass their licensing exams, and I am prepared to deal with them passing on the right, making a right hand turn from the left hand lane, and generally behaving badly.
I have to disagree... as a group PA drivers are just as bad in my experience. I have many driving-related peeves, so I'll only share a couple.

1. Driving too slowly. I am not a fast driver. (This is all contextual--it depends on the road, the conditions, and what everybody else is doing. For example, on Lincoln Drive during rush hour, I'm usually doing 40-45 in a posted 25 zone, because, based on what the other traffic is doing, running at 25 is acually less safe.) So when I run into (figuratively speaking) somebody whom I feel is driving too slow, they're probably going REALLY FUCKING SLOW.

2. Stay in your damn lane. Enough said. Corollary: use the turning lanes properly. My favorite example of this is the turn from northbound Lincoln Drive onto Mt. Pleasant. There are individual lanes to turn left, go straight, and turn right. For some reason approximately half the people making right turns are unable to fathom that they need to be COMPLETELY in the right turn lane.

3. If you're backing up, you really do need to look and see if there's a person and/or car behind you. That goes double for parking lots.

4. Useless passing & indiscriminate lane changing: these only slow traffic down when enough people start doing them. If you are behind a slowpoke who is going considerably slower than everybody else, feel free to pass. But guess what? If everybody in the right lane is doing about 45 (for example), and everybody in the left lane is doing about 45, you're just going to have to suck it up and go about 45. No amount of weaving and hair-splitting lane changes on a dime will get you there any faster.

I, of course, am a perfect driver who is a joy for other people to share hte road with.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:19 PM   #5
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

In Utah, it's not the drivers from other states who create a roadway menace, but the locals. It's mostly just a general unpredictable stupidity a work, and it makes even a short journey a bit like tiptoeing through a minefield.

Firstly, there is a relatively large number of elderly drivers on the roads. Secondly, the ratio of Prozac-infused soccer moms in minivans is approaching 1:1 at an alarming rate.

When entering a freeway (65-75 MPH), people around here don't accelerate beyond 40 MPH until they are on the freeway itself. The left lane is always littered with slow-movers. In the city, if someone misses a turn, they'll stop in traffic, blocking a dozen other cars, calmly waiting to turn illegally, and avoid the 30 seconds it would require to correct the mis-navigation at the next block. 4-way stops are a fascinating mystery to these people. If you try and pass someone, even if they have been cruising under the speed limit for several miles, they will accelerate once you are alongside them, and try to prevent your passing. Once the passing lane is gone, they will decellerate to their previous speed. Similarly, if you signal to get in front of someone, even if you have plenty of room, they will speed up and close the gap.

I wish I could say that these were the exceptions rather than the norm around here. I also wish I had a solid gold house and a rocket car. But we can't have everything.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by lookout123
anyway - you probably see we have everyone's bad habits coming together to create a wonderful adventure we call arizona traffic.
Don't you also, like Florida, get an overly large percentage of the nation's old people who shouldn't be driving because they can't see over the steering wheel?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:24 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

In Austin it's most popular to blame immigrants from Mexico (they drive so slowly because they're afraid of being pulled over and caught by the INS, don't you know), California, Houston and Dallas.

Austinites in general are the WORST rubberneckers I have ever seen, though.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:25 PM   #8
Rokko
Fresh Incumbent

I'm a jersey driver who just got his lisence. And ghoddamnit, if youre in my way on Rt. 1, youre gonna know it.
Rokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:26 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

Try riding, the urge to cause some people serious bodily harm grows quickly.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:30 PM   #10
Rokko
Fresh Incumbent

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Try riding, the urge to cause some people serious bodily harm grows quickly.
One of the reasons I hate living in Jersey. Not a single good place to ride.

Thing is, though, when youre looking around to see whats happening, its pretty damn easy to not see a motorcycle, but see the huge truck behind it. Buy youre right, i think its 50/50 with people being inconsiderate and just not noticing them.
Rokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:31 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by glatt
Is it possible they are driving badly because they are unfamiliar with the area? They are looking for and seeing signs at the last minute, leaving them with the option of veering across lanes of traffic to get their turn, or missing thier turn and getting really lost.

I'm a better driver in my own neck of the woods than in some strange city.
Rotten traffic signs are another pet peeve of mine. (Most new signs are getting better, and the practice of having the street sign hung in the middle of the intersection where possible is a great one. But some of the signage around Delaware County seems designed on the premise of "if you don't know where you're going, we don't want you here." Which is probably true in many communities.) But it doesn't matter how lost people are, they shouldn't do things in traffic that can get themselves &/or other people killed.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:52 PM   #12
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Re: Bad Drivers

Quote:
We all know on an instinctive level that drivers from other states drive poorly.

I was wondering what the experience of folks from other states was ... who do you blame for causing a moving roadway hazard on your interstates?
Funny you mention Maryland (my home state). I think that PA drivers are horrible. They speed like their life depended on it on every major highway, they do rolling stops at stop signs and jump red lights (oooo, can't WAIT for those red light cameras..baaahahah), and love to cut you off. Sheesh! Didn't have that problem in MD, that's for sure.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #13
lookout123

Quote:
Originally posted by glatt
Is it possible they are driving badly because they are unfamiliar with the area?
i'm talking about people that live in arizona, now. no one is from here, everyone moves here from out of state and bring there regionally accepted practices with them. i liken it to an accent. it's pretty easy to pick out where some drivers are from.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:23 PM   #14
lookout123

Quote:

Don't you also, like Florida, get an overly large percentage of the nation's old people who shouldn't be driving because they can't see over the steering wheel?
i try not to pick on the elderly, but yes. with our freeway system, more than half of any drive in the city can be done on the freeway. when you are clipping along at 65-70 and come up behind granny doing 45-50, it is not a good thing.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:33 PM   #15
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I have driven all over the country and in my opinion, Boston drivers are the worst. They all drive as though they are the only car in the state.

Re: Motorcycles: Ride as though you have a fully functional cloaking device aboard and you'll be all right. As long as you assume that the cagers can't see you and adjust your habits accordingly, you'll get there alive. I have had drivers turn into me and only by dint of fancy riding tricks fit for the circus did I get out alive, but I WAS able to bang on her hood as I escaped...I was THAT close. And the banging was what alerted her to the fact that there was a motorcycle in front of her!

Florida does indeed have a high proportion of elderly drivers that use a periscope to see over the wheel. I saw one once that appeared to have NO driver, moving at no more than 15 mph, weaving, and paying no attention to signs. No one seemed to take particular notice of this and simply drove around the Caddy in question. I found out later that there was indeed no driver...it slipped into gear at a gas station and drove itself nearly four miles before wandering into a ditch and finally coming to a stop. Reminds me of the old stories of a horse bringing it's passed out rider (or dead rider in some) home from a distance without direction.

Brian