The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
freshnesschronic
Professor

Wine Connoisseurs

Hey all. I miss reading posts and threads and all like I used to when I was a freshman and didn't have anything to do in college. Now I'm a grown junior with many more responsibilities and leadership positions and things to do and grades to keep up and internships to apply to and interviews to prepare for and damn. I am a helluva lot busier than I was when I logged into the Cellar at age 18, December 2006. But that comes with the territory of college, getting involved and growing up. But enough of the feel good story bullshit.

So I walked to this liquor store a couple blocks away from me tonite (I left at 12 hah) and it was closed so I went to the Mobil gas station a block south and they don't sell alcohol after midnite. I walked four blocks east to the campus pantry and they don't either so I walked my ass home and I'm writing about it. Damn I feel like a loser

But anyway, this year I've gained an appreciation and taste for wine. At recent parties I had my friends buy Sangria. It turned my socks purple when it spilled but it was still great.

Wine connoisseurs, help a fledgling kid like me who just turned 21.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

The most important rule to remember when you're on a budget is that cheap does not always mean nasty as far as wine goes. I don't know much about cheap local wines over there, but I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of dwellars who can help you out.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
NoBoxes

In your own backyard ...

There's an excellent resource for wine indoctrination in Chicago, Sam's Wines and Spirits, located at:

1720 N. Marcey St.
Chicago, IL 60614
(312) 664-4394

Name:  Sam's location.bmp
Views: 231
Size:  50.2 KB

The massive inventory of worldwide wines in this warehouse sized store may boggle your mind and humble you; but, don't let it scare you off. Just ask any rep to steer you to the $10 and under rack of recommended wines. They've made a fortune educating beginners who became repeat customers; so, they're very accommodating. Take some friends with you.

Be ready to tell them what you'd like to explore first (e.g. red, white, rose); also, what you can remember about wines you've tried and liked in the past. This will help them determine what your tastes are. Ask for information about their wine club and tasting events. Actually tasting different wines is key to determining your own preferences; also, what constitutes quality and value in any category of wine.

Last edited by NoBoxes; 02-02-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Attach general location image to augment Google map link
Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Buy based on the coolness of the label. Oh, and cheap.

I have done very well by buying Smoking Loon, Three Blind Moose, and Bored Doe from the Goats Do Roam Vineyard in South Africa.

Do not buy Bully Hill, which is a New York State Wine that tastes like the goat pictured on all of their labels peed straight into the bottle.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's the most expensive hobby in the world. Maybe the best, though. There is no end to the amount of stuff you can learn about wine.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Buy based on the coolness of the label. Oh, and cheap.

I have done very well by buying Smoking Loon, Three Blind Moose, and Bored Doe from the Goats Do Roam Vineyard in South Africa.

Do not buy Bully Hill, which is a New York State Wine that tastes like the goat pictured on all of their labels peed straight into the bottle.
Heh...I've been to that winery...have a fridge magnet and a couple bumper stickers that have never been stuck. "Wine without guilt" and "Wine without sin." There were cool labels; years ago when I was there the original dude poured our wine.

Ex's sis and brother in law have a nice place on Seneca Lake, which is how we happened upon the winery.

I'm no connoisseur; a mid priced Pinot Noir is good for me.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Other finger lakes wineries are excellent, I've been there a few times.

One of the Bully Hill reds is the worst wine I've ever had. I doubt they're available in the middle of the country.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

We went to one winery, no idea which one, that had some music thing going on. The cool part was we got bored and walked train tracks back to the cabin. Saw a wild turkey and heard some large critter crashing around in the woods.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I'm no connoisseur; a mid priced Pinot Noir is good for me.
HobNob Pinot Noir $10 4 rank on Snooth.com

excellent deal
Old 02-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Ask around for some wine tasting events, go to those! The reps are there to explain what you are tasting and I recommend you take a note book with you, after 10 different wines you might not remember what a Riesling tastes like or what a pinot blanc is.

We have several wine tasting events a year, and I am sure other cities do as well. Another option would be to take a tour of a local winery... they will most likely have many varietals for you to try.

A fun way to experience wine is have your own tasting. Invite several friends over, and have them each bring a bottle and an appy that goes with the wine. Co-ordinate it a bit so everyone brings something different. Then everyone gets to try 6 or 8 different wines, and make a meal out of the appetizers!
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Ex's sis and brother in law have a nice place on Seneca Lake, which is how we happened upon the winery.
Friends of mine used to have a house on Van Cleef Lake, just above the locks in Seneca Falls. We would do the Wine Tour up there, but only make it through tastings at three or four wineries before we were no longer safe to drive.

I still have a bottle of port from one of those expeditions.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
glatt

Start from the cheap end before you go spending any real money on wine. Go to the grocery store and buy a box of wine. Any brand. You may be surprised at how good it tastes. And it's not expensive. $10-$15 for 3 bottles worth of wine. Drink the cheap stuff for a little while so you have something to compare the more expensive bottles to. You may decide the more moderately priced bottles aren't worth double to triple the price of the box wine. If you decide you may want to move up in price, there's really no reason to ever pay more than $10 per bottle. There is a very large variety of very good wine for under $10/bottle.

I've had $100 bottles before that were gifts (well, once anyway), and it really wasn't much better than an $8 bottle.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Katkeeper
Hoodoo Guru

One more example that the price of a wine is not, repeat not, an indication of its quality.
Katkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #14
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Does anybody have a suggestion for a wine to go with Hamburger Helper (tm)?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

If I were having hamburgers, I'd be having a nice fruity rose. Over here a good one is Banrock Station. It goes for under $10/bottle and is really quite good.