The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2005, 03:24 PM   #16
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
I was just trying to bring a little levity to a grave situation
oooh. poor choice of words. or clever. whichever you intended. relax Queen i live in phoenix so i know a little something about water consumption. hell, i leave my faucets running all day when i leave for work just to make sure i get my fair share of water.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:29 PM   #17
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

oooh!!! like that artist in New York! How insensitive and impractical ! I love it! I'm going home to plant a fern grotto, some orchids, and install a Koi pond! And misters! Wheee!!!!!!!!

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #18
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche
Can't a Cellarite be a smart ass anymore without getting sermonized/ I was just trying to bring a little levity to a grave situation by siding with the poor helpless hippos. Sorry if I touched a nerve Glatt. Here - have a nice cool glass of water.........
Sorry if I over-reacted. I wasn't blaming you personally. Everyone is just talking about how SAD it is that these poor rhinos are dying, and then you blamed the farmers in the area (based on what the article said). I get tired of people pointing their fingers at others as the problem, when they are just as guilty themselves. I am just as guilty as these farmers for the death of the rhinos. We all are. I was trying to point that fact out in a very specific way, using the desert southwest, and more specifically, L.A., as an example. We do the exact same shit here in the US every day, but with different wildlife. Nobody seems to care until there is a powerful image of a place far away where we can blame other people.

I'll take that glass of water. Thanks.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:57 PM   #19
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

All I can see when I look at this pic is hippo soup. Yeh, shame on me for not being sensitive to the hippos.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:38 PM   #20
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

this came to mind from "the matrix"

(Office)
Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we are the cure.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #21
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

This is indeed a very sad image to me.
I wish PETA and others would spend as much time, money and energy to do something about situations like this instead of wasting it on penny-ante peeves. If we could spend their budget we could most likely save the majority of these helpless critters.
Of course we all know that nature could induce some of these tragedies in order to control population, disease, etc..... but I don't think we can make that call on this one.
It really makes no difference whose fault it is....... it is still a grimacing reality.
Very sad to say the least.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If they give the water to the hippos we wouldn't have any IotD image.
I guess we'd have to substitute this one.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:55 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:10 PM   #23
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

so true

so goes the food chain
Old 08-22-2005, 08:44 PM   #24
Guess
What's my name? Guess

This image is part of a series of Mike Fay's Africa Megaflyover sponsored by National Geographic. He flew over the areas of Africa that have the highest human impact and a digital camera mounted on the plan took a photo every 20 seconds. His purpose was to document the human impact on the land in Africa, and some photos were depressing, like this one, but many were uplifting.
Apparently Fay found out a few days after this photo was taken that the rainy season came (just in time) and these hippos survived.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:51 PM   #25
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Sorry if I over-reacted. I wasn't blaming you personally. Everyone is just talking about how SAD it is that these poor rhinos are dying, ...snip
Yeah, not to mention the hippos...
Old 08-22-2005, 10:15 PM   #26
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

That is so so sad, and so horrible. I hate seeing anything suffer. Hippo's skin is very sensitive, they must all be in terrible pain. Poor things.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:36 AM   #27
mrnoodle
bent

I am utterly serious about this.

All those hippos will spread disease after their death, and taint the water for months. People are starving. Hippo burgers = less disease, tasty victuals.

Are people blind to the solutions staring them in the face?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:38 AM   #28
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

I guess man has tinkered with the balance of nature so often that a re-adjustment must be on the cards. Certainly the card must be marked - to the point of being barely recognisable for what it was originally, I would think...
Old 08-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #29
lulu
with karate i'll kick your ass

Such a sad picture.