The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Printer problems.

I have an Epson WF 3530 all-in-one machine which I bought 2½ years ago.

It has produced consistently good quality documents until a few days ago.

Documents now have several horizontal magenta bands across them and I've tried everything I can think of to correct the problem.

I've gone through the print head cleaning, nozzle check and print head alignment routines, all to no avail.

I've also changed any cartridge that looked on the low side and might be giving an inaccurate reading.

Two points which might count against me. First, I haven't been using Epson original cartridges although the diagnostic software recognises them as Epson.

Second, the printer has only had light use which I understand can cause problems in itself.

I've done all the usual searches on the Epson website and elsewhere without success.

If anyone can assist in helping me solve the problem, I'd be grateful for your help.

I don't really want to head to Ebuyer or Amazon to start again.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Second, the printer has only had light use which I understand can cause problems in itself.
Solidified ink in the cartridge nozzles?

You might try cleaning the print head of the ink cartridge in alcohol. I used to use a small jar lid with just enough alcohol to meet the bottom of the printer cartridge (the squirty bit). Using the edge of the lid to support most of the cartridge, lay a couple toothpicks (or anything else suitably small diameter) in the bottom of the lid to keep the squirty parts off the bottom, but still keeping the holes submerged. Soak for at least an hour. Blot dry on napkin or paper towel. Run every cleaning function your printer possesses.

Used to work for me. Good luck.

I don't know what you'd do if your ink does not exit the cartridge directly. Maybe remove the thing your cartridge nozzles spray into (for lack of a correct term) and soak per the above suggestion?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
glatt

Name:  230537193748f6e8b552572712e54bdc.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  26.1 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Mr G and Mr G.

Thank you for your resposes, gentlemen.

I've replaced three of the four cartridges in the past couple of days and run all the 'housekeeping' utilities.

I suspect that there is a blockage somewhere within the deeper plumbing of the machine.

I don't seem to have a lot of luck with printers.

I think printer meets 14lb hammer might be the way forward.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
I think printer meets 14lb hammer might be the way forward.
It would be cathartic, anyway.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 11-06-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't have an Epson, so real experience. I was having trouble with my Canon printer adding color to black & white documents, also refusing to print black and white documents when it thought a color cartridge was out of ink. By going into the settings and checking the 'print black and white only' box, it let me proceed without further bullshit.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
glatt

I have an Epson and I love it that they let you use 3rd party ink. It gets a lot of use and the heads never get a chance to really dry out. One thing I liked about my old HP was that the heads are integrated into the ink cartridges so every time you buy a new cartridge, you get a new head. But they charged an arm and a leg for them and it stopped working for some other reason I can't remember right now. So anyway, I'm not sure what use my blathering has had, but Epson is good stuff. And if you get a new printer, it will be wifi enabled and you can print stuff from your phone.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks Bruce.

I'll give that a go in the morning and see what happens.

(Posting from iPad at the moment, so not connected to printer network.)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

@Glatt....

If it should come to a new printer, I'll probably go down the Epson road again.

I suspect that the light use it has had is probably at the root of things, so I'll just have to print a test pattern every couple of days.

I do learn. Eventually.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And don't leave it on when not in use.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Documents now have several horizontal magenta bands across them and I've tried everything I can think of to correct the problem.
A blockage would mean no magenta. A constant magenta line means that cartridge is (for some reason) output magenta constantly. Unfortunately no printer manufacturer will provide information on the circuit between that printer and electronics inside the cartridge. Meaning most printer end up canned.

Once upon a time, you could order a new electronics board from the printer manufacturer. Sometimes one is available. Often at a price about one half the cost of a new printer.

Bruce's solution once worked on every printer. Many now will not even operate in B&W if it discovers a problem with its color cartridge. That was a new surprise.

Light usage would never be destructive. The most likely reason for all such failures is a manufacturing defect.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
I have an Epson WTF
Problem found ... and solved in post 3
Old 11-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #14
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Light usage would never be destructive.
Idiotic, illogical and completely incorrect.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Yay.