The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-11-2015, 03:12 AM   #1
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Happy Veteran's Day

Because of the sacrifices you made or were prepared to make and for having the courage to do so, we thank you.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:58 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, thank for your service.
And a heartfelt apology for the politicians unnecessarily putting you in harm's way, protecting corporate holdings, and pursuing personal vendettas.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Your Welcome.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Yesterday I went to the War Memorial Gardens for the two minutes silence.
It's become a slightly odd thing here now - we have Remembrance Sunday, as we have had for years, but people also observe on the exact day (11/11 in both British and American, at 11.00) when the guns stopped.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I suppose the formal ceremony, which is held on the closest Sunday beforehand, is the chance that most people get to observe. It involves a lot of ceremony, involving the Royal Family, high ranking serving personnel and politicians. And the smaller ceremonies in cities, towns and villages can include local troops, school children, Scout troops etc.

But for those of us who set their own timetable, there is a satisfaction at being able to do something on the actual day.
I can spend days without speaking to anyone, so it probably isn't significant for me. But to see the signs in public places, that shops and businesses would be observing the silence were very moving. So I made the effort to get out of the library, and found a brief, but moving ceremony. A couple of prayers. A reading of Laurence Binyon's poem and a bugler.

I cried.
Okay, I cry at a hopping bird these days. But this time it was considered and in memory.
I lost no-one I knew in War. And not even in terrorism. I'm lucky.
But for those who did, who have, and who are still out their risking themselves - you have my love.
I bought a lovely sparkly poppy brooch. And one for Mum. We'll wear them every year. But of course we'll both still donate to the British Legion.

[The Legion sell paper poppies every year as a fundraising effort - you buy them for whatever you can afford. Wearing a brooch shows respect for the cause, but doesn't give them any funds.]
Old 11-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
chrisinhouston
Professor

Oh... now I know why I never got any mail yesterday! I knew it was Veteran's Day but forgot that mostly it's government workers who get a holiday.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote