The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-24-2004, 05:28 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Don't give up but I think some folks get a perverse pleasure out of living a lifestyle that endangers their health - sort of like they're teasing death or something. Its really kind of selfish.
Oh I see, they're selfish, but you who want them to change everything they're comfortable with, everything they want, because you might be inconvienced, are not?
Old 07-24-2004, 08:28 PM   #17
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Oh I see, they're selfish, but you who want them to change everything they're comfortable with, everything they want, because you might be inconvienced, are not?
I typed no fewer than ten responses to this but, finding none of them adequate, I'll just plead guilty as charged. I do think, however, that not committing the offense would have been a worse offense so I guess I was screwed no matter what I did.

I have to wonder tho - would he have listened if he knew it would have allowed him to see so many things that he would have been around to see had he not died so young? I suspect he probably would have traded a poor diet and not taking his meds to see the two kids I have now (and many, many other things). But I have no way of knowing for sure and as such, can offer no defense to your charge.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:32 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Please don’t think of it as a charge, but another angle.
When people get older the old injuries that healed years ago, come back to haunt us. Shit hurts that shouldn’t hurt, capabilities diminish and the future looks bleaker. Yeah, yeah, a change of regimen can help that. The key being help, delay but not eliminate.
You’ll also think about all the things on the “someday” or “’round to it” list and know that’s never going to happen. Anyway, the older you get, the more people in your social circle are experiencing difficulty, especially the ones that are 10 or more years older than you. I’m 59 and more than half my friends have died, and that my friend is depressing in itself.
You can also get to the point where everything you wanted, you have. Then you just want to live each day with nothing changing but your golf score.
My mother admonished “you better do it in your 50’s, because you won’t be able to do it in your 70’s”. I don’t think she was talking about sex either.
Ok, I'm rambling, but remember there is more than one point of view. At least until the gumint changes that too.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:52 PM   #19
jaguar
whig

[quote]Don't give up but I think some folks get a perverse pleasure out of living a lifestyle that endangers their health - sort of like they're teasing death or something. Its really kind of selfish.[/QUOTE Well yes and no. I do a lot of things that give a way above average risk profile and sooner or later someone will probably have to scrape my remains off a wall and pour them into a jug but I don't think anyone is in a position to get holier than though about it - everyone takes risks and sooner or later, someone is going to have to deal with you when you die.