The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 12-25-2019, 10:21 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Just saw the future

Okay you guys might recall, SpaceX is launching low-earth orbit satellites in order to provide Internet to everywhere on Earth

Originally, I thought that this type of satellite coverage was going to be slower than fiber, but actually no; this video shows how it can easily be faster, using ground relay stations; and the guy backed up that idea with data from SpaceX's last few FCC filings.

And he's mapped it out, and animated it, to show what they're going to do. In the end it will be faster than fiber even for overseas connections, especially if they can place a few ships in the oceans to act as ground-level waystations.

the video stays pretty understandable I think, and this is pretty goddamn amazing. And once it's up, if you can see the sky, you have an Internet connection.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So this will bring me what, national broadcasts, movies and internet? No local news or weather?
Old 12-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Just like the current Internet, only faster, and everyone can get it, without wires.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, so I'd still need cable for TV and phone.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:22 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Youtube TV, get 70 cable and local channels for $50/month.

You can get phone service via the Internet for anywhere from near-free to $6/month. Skype will set people up with a dial-in phone number for like $2, and I don't think it's much more to dial out. It can be set up on most mobile devices, and used over WiFi. It's a little trickier to wire a whole house full of analog phones, but not impossible. That's what Vonage and Magic Jack were/are doing.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:31 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, I need that land line or equivalent for my phone I can use.
70 channels? Verizon give me almost 1800 channels I don't watch.
Where I am, before cable I got three channels, none well, ghosting like a bitch. I don't know if the digital over the air would be any better, I doubt it.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
And once it's up, if you can see the sky, you have an Internet connection.
For a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I don't know if the digital over the air would be any better, I doubt it.
You'll have a perfect picture and perfect sound, or a black screen, and silence.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Just like the current Internet, only faster, and everyone can get it, without wires.
This might be an Amazon Gambit.

They do it faster and cheaper, until they're the only people left in the business.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Will this have the ability to override certain countries' blocks on the internet?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce View Post
This might be an Amazon Gambit.

They do it faster and cheaper, until they're the only people left in the business.
Amazon has actually filed to be their competitor in space. But there already are many competitors on the ground.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Will this have the ability to override certain countries' blocks on the internet?
YES although it will be subject to geopolitical considerations, for example SpaceX could be bullied by USGov on behalf of any other govs.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
YES although it will be subject to geopolitical considerations, for example SpaceX could be bullied by USGov on behalf of any other govs.
It's long been recognized that some other countries could also directly inhibit SpaceX.

Quote:
Elon Musk's plan to blanket Earth in high-speed internet may face a big threat: China

Dave Mosher Nov 21, 2016, 11:47 PM

… But as far back as January 2015, when Musk first debuted his global internet project at a new SpaceX satellite factory in Seattle, he noted how China could pose a significant hurdle for his plans.

The Chinese government would have to agree to let SpaceX build antenna dishes, or ground links, to send and receive data to and from the company's spacecraft. But that nation routes internet access for its 1.37 billion inhabitants through "the Great Firewall," a censorship technology that blocks foreign news, mentions of citizen uprisings (like the Tiananmen Square Massacre), or anything else Chinese officials don't like on the web.

"Obviously, any given country can say it's illegal to have a ground link. [...] And from our standpoint we could conceivably continue to broadcast," Musk said during the event. "I mean, I'm hopeful that we can structure agreements with various countries to allow communication with their citizens, but it is on a country-by-country basis."

So what if SpaceX continued to broadcast uncensored internet over China, despite not being given permission?

"If they get upset with us, they can blow our satellites up, which wouldn't be good," Musk said. "China can do that. So probably we shouldn't broadcast there."

Musk has good reason to fear the People's Liberation Army (PLA) of China.

In January 2007, the PLA launched a "kinetic kill vehicle" — the space equivalent of a giant bullet — atop a mobile, multi-stage rocket.

The target was an old Chinese weather satellite called Feng Yun-1C (FY-1C), and the head-on collision between the two objects happened at roughly 18,000 mph (8 km per second).

It was an impressive, if frightening, demonstration that echoed the US military's anti-satellite test of October 1985. That US satellite-killing exercise blasted an old solar observatory called Solwind into more than 280 pieces.

In the case of China's 2007 anti-satellite test, however, the impact created nearly 4,000 new detectable chunks of space debris. …

.. There may also be as many as 35,000 fingernail-size bits of FY-1C debris circling the Earth which — like so many tiny bullets — even the most advanced ground radar stations can't track, according to Popular Mechanics.

In fact, despite the vast distances that separate satellites hundreds of miles above Earth, pieces of FY-1C have already destroyed a Russian satellite and nearly whacked the International Space Station. …

… So even if China doesn't exercise its satellite-killing capabilities, which it has continued to develop, SpaceX will have to confront the persistent threat of space junk smacking into its giant constellation of internet satellites — and creating even more of a danger if that happens.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:15 AM   #13
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Others too are not happy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50870117
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #14
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Star light, star bright
First star I could've seen tonight
I wish I may
I wish I might
See you out from behind that satellite.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #15
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
.. There may also be as many as 35,000 fingernail-size bits of FY-1C debris circling the Earth which — like so many tiny bullets — even the most advanced ground radar stations can't track, according to Popular Mechanics.
Newest estimates say there's way more than that:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...amnInteresting
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote