The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

McCain vs. Obama - Economics 101

An interesting perspective from The Economist.

The battle of the pockets is joined
Jun 12th 2008 | WASHINGTON, DC
From The Economist print edition

The candidates' tax and spending plans are examined

THE most recent unemployment figures have hit Washington like a brick: the unemployment rate jumped to 5.5% in May, a hefty half-point hike from April. Much of the rise came from young Americans unsuccessfully seeking work for the first time, but the capital is again buzzing with recession worries. What better time, therefore, for the two presumptive nominees to battle over their economic plans?

And battle they have. On June 9th Barack Obama began a two-week tour to battlefield states, his first as his party's anointed leader, with a big speech on economic policy. He accused John McCain of favouring George Bush-like profligacy by proposing tax cuts he can't pay for. Mr McCain shot back with a speech of his own next day, saying that Mr Obama will raise taxes and unwisely renegotiate trade agreements. Strangely, both of them may have a point.

During the primary campaign Mr Obama decried exporting jobs to China and getting tainted medicine in return, with scarcely a mention for America's booming export sector (though his tone on trade is already starting to soften a bit.) And he does want to raise taxes on high-earning Americans to pay for new spending on health care and helping poor people save. Mr Obama wants to raise the top income-tax rate from 35% to 39.6%—its pre-Bush level—and the tax on capital gains to perhaps 25% from 15%. Mr Obama also wants to add some new corporate taxes. And he has spoken repeatedly of removing the earnings cap on payroll taxes, which, along with his other proposals, would increase the top marginal tax rate to over 46% of earned income. (State income taxes, which range from 0% in Texas and half a dozen others to around 9% in the most expensive states, including California, New Jersey and Washington, DC, come on top of that.) But his campaign, filled with centrist academic economists, has not proposed specifics, and Mr Obama said this week that he might even defer some of his tax hikes depending on economic conditions when he takes office.

continues:

http://www.economist.com/world/na/di...ry_id=11551769
Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

What's your take, mercy?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
TheMercenary

Either way, we are fucked.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Mr Obama wants to raise the top income-tax rate from 35% to 39.6%—its pre-Bush level—and the tax on capital gains to perhaps 25% from 15%. Mr Obama also wants to add some new corporate taxes. And he has spoken repeatedly of removing the earnings cap on payroll taxes, which, along with his other proposals, would increase the top marginal tax rate to over 46% of earned income. (State income taxes, which range from 0% in Texas and half a dozen others to around 9% in the most expensive states, including California, New Jersey and Washington, DC, come on top of that.)
That right there is enough for me to applaud if he should catch a bullet in the back of the head. Raising taxes on the most productive Americans is not a great way to stimulate economic growth. Raising taxes on corporations only results in costs being passed on to consumers. Taxing capital gains at higher levels only motivates investors to find newer and better tax dodges. With the 15% cap on capital gains taxes investors have been more willing to move money, thus triggering the tax in the first place.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Raise taxes? Raise taxes?! They were on the same level before the Paris Hilton/Warren Buffett tax cuts! How in the blue hell can that be considered a rise in taxes??
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
lookout123

deadbeater, could you explain to me what these Paris Hilton/Warren Buffett tax cuts are?

oh and to be fair, I will answer your question. If taxes are set at X and then are changed to X + Y, then that qualifies as an increase. basic math.

Last edited by lookout123; 07-17-2008 at 08:08 PM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
TheMercenary

Further, deadbeater, please explain to me how many, as a percent of income, that different income brackets pay into the current tax system.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I'm interested in more opinions in this thread. I am getting more unsettled as we get closer to the election. Seems like the "Change" mantra has been followed by the question "How?" I'm not sensing any clear productive answers though. Perhaps thats why the race is a dead heat at this point.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbeater View Post
Raise taxes? Raise taxes?! They were on the same level before the Paris Hilton/Warren Buffett tax cuts! How in the blue hell can that be considered a rise in taxes??
We can call it a re-raise, or, if you're into poker a 'check raise'.

I think a lot of Americans are fed up with the 'trickle down' theory of economics that states if you take the brakes off taxing the wealthy, the money saved will 'trickle down' to the middle and lower income sector.

My guess is that unless you work in a yacht factory or are an undocumented alien, this will not affect your job prospects, at least not enough to justify the lost tax revenue that will either fall on you or get put on the national credit card.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
My guess is that unless you work in a yacht factory or are an undocumented alien, this will not affect your job prospects...
Don't forget the shiny shoe whore investment guys.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

umm
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
TheMercenary

Obama still has not fully explained the details of how he is going to pay for all these things he has promised. Esp the part of how he is going to pay for health care for all the illegal aliens. With what?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #13
lookout123

your money.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
your money.
Yea, that's what I am worried about. I just may not be worth it to work so hard.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #15
lookout123

if you're giving up 40 to 50 cents on the dollar there comes a certain point where you stop and think... "is there something I'd rather be doing right now?"