The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-10-2008, 01:03 AM   #76
zewb
Jotter of Notes

As long as there are a finite number of cards, it is completely possible that two identical shuffles could happen, although highly unlikely.
zewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:58 AM   #77
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Why not write a computer program to see if you can get any repeat shuffles in a reasonable time frame?

Or even do it for one suit and then extrapolate how long it would take for the same thing to occur in an entire deck?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #78
Card_shuffler
Kinda New Member

Hand shuffler seeks advice

I shuffle cards to pass time and break boredom. I know the montony of shuffling can produce boredom, but for some reason it relaxes and helps sooth tension, stress and anxiety.

One thing I have been noticing lately when I shuffle the deck and look through it afterwards to just see the distribution.

sometimes there is only on set of double number (same number, varying suit) and at other times as many a five such pairings in a single after-shuffle. Recently too I have been finding instances of 3 same number of differing suits grouped together and at others straights and the such.

I am a math affecianado too, and probability/Permutations fascinate me, and I am just wondering why this occurs, it seems that shuffling the deck is just as chancy as playing a game of Poker and that everything is determined by the luck of the draw.

I would appreciate some banter on this phenomenon because it bugs me that it happens, but I accept it begrudingly. I mean seeing one, two and as many pairings as 5 from a single overhand shuffle of 8 to 20 passes really annoys me.

And I guess we are all looking for that perfect shuffle, aren't we? Well I guess it'll never happen, not with the number of permutations available for a standard Poker deck. Thanks.
Card_shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #79
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I think the perfect shuffle is merely an entirely random shuffle. And that means there are going to be pairs and whatnot... because it's random. You shouldn't have the expectation of no pairs if it's more likely that pairs will happen.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #80
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Anyone expecting a perfect shuffle from a random shuffle is doing it wrong. One should do a stratified random shuffle to break up the patterns. The Wizard of Oz told me so.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #81
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Faro shuffle.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #82
Griff
still says videotape

How many permutations does the Icky Shuffle have?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #83
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

So what happens when I shuffle down the road?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #84
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Will you be doing the Airborne Shuffle? Sounds like something one would do before playing 52 Pickup; but, noooooooooooo ...

Name:  Airborne Shuffle.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  10.3 KB
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #85
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
So what happens when I shuffle down the road?
You end up in Buffalo.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #86
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Tangentially pertinent. I read somewhere years ago that 7 shuffles between hands was optimal. After that, the deck does not get more random.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #87
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Old 09-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #88
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Since we're drifting, kinda...

I don't know how many times the cards were shuffled, but, this one time, at whiskey camp, I got dealt this hand. Deuces were wild. True Story®.

Name:  Straight Flush.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  56.0 KB

[/drift]

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #89
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Since we're drifting, kinda...

I don't know how many times the cards were shuffled, but, this one time, at whiskey camp, I got dealt this hand. Deuces were wild. True Story®.

Attachment 45397

[/drift]
How many did you draw?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #90
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hell, I almost didn't give the cards back after the hand!