The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #76
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Note the thread it is posted in and that I neither condoned nor condemned it. I just posted it as food for fodder. Way to jump all over something that didn't exist. Boy you all seem a little overtly sensitive lately.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #77
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

If "food for fodder" is not intended to mean "fodder for discussion", maybe you should define it. You seem to be taking the response to your post a bit "overtly" sensitively.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #78
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Moderates hate when homeless people vote?
That's "jumping all over something?"

Really, and I mean this with all due respect, it seems you are the sensitive one these days. No one can joke with you, you cry "moderate" over and over then consistently use the far right view to, seemingly, get something over on the liberals, then when someone calls you on it you say you're being attacked, the person is being unfair, or you claim moderation again.

Seriously, Classic, what's up? :trulyconcerned:
Old 10-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #79
classicman

Seriously? Shawnee? Are you - I really hate to say this, but I honestly don't believe you. OK? - Put me back on ignore like you said I was and lets just leave it at that - Mmmkay?

If you were "truly concerned" you would have responded to one of the several PM's I sent you.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #80
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
If "food for fodder" is not intended to mean "fodder for discussion", maybe you should define it. You seem to be taking the response to your post a bit "overtly" sensitively.
Well then HM, maybe someone should be discussing that instead of the poster. You think?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #81
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I have not received any PMs from you, because I DID have you on ignore, because your response to me when I challenged you was, as is typical for you these days, "put me on ignore if you don't like it."

So, I did. I don't believe ignored people's PMs come through, but I took you off yesterday and I've received none since.

You're not yourself these days. I understand, lord knows I've been out there more than once. But it's not just me you're mad at, that I can see clearly.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #82
glatt

Classicman, Liberty University, which is a private christian university located in the battleground state of Virginia, has about 11,000 students. The overwhelming majority of them are conservative Republicans. Many of them are from out of state. The university administration has been actively working to get those out of state and unregistered students to register to vote locally in Virginia because most of them come from home states that are solidly going for one candidate or the other. Their vote counts more in Virginia.

Anyway, not only is Liberty University registering all these new voters, it is also CLOSING THE SCHOOL on election day to give everyone the chance to vote, and it is driving the students to the polls.

Jerry Fallwell, the founder of the university, stated "Liberty University's 11,000 students and 4,000 faculty and staff could cause Liberty to become known as the university that elected a president!"

As a moderate, how do you feel about this?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #83
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Well then HM, maybe someone should be discussing that instead of the poster. You think?
BigV did, in the post immediately following yours. Brianna did, two posts later. And two posts after that, you started complaining.

And, as to the substance of your complaint, posting an article without comment is implicit support of that article. Posting an article and following it with a snide comment in support of that article moves a bit closer to explicit support of the article. But if you feel that your intentions were misinterpreted and you are hoping for more discussion of the substance of the article, you could offer your take on it.

As for me, I'll second BigV and Brianna.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 10-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #84
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What Obama's team is doing is standard operating procedure. It's called "walking-around money". You roust people off the street. You give em ten bucks and point them where to go and who to vote for.

Due to happen in Philly, too

It's just the machine operating like the machine operates.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #85
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

So are the tricks used by the GOP to get voters of the rolls.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #86
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
What Obama's team is doing is standard operating procedure. It's called "walking-around money". You roust people off the street. You give em ten bucks and point them where to go and who to vote for.

Due to happen in Philly, too

It's just the machine operating like the machine operates.
While I don't doubt that that happens frequently, the article seems to be about paying the campaign people (who would otherwise be volunteers). Maybe some of them convert themselves back to "volunteers" by passng it out to potential voters...
|_______________| [pics]
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #87
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Classicman, Liberty University, which is a private christian university located in the battleground state of Virginia, has about 11,000 students. The overwhelming majority of them are conservative Republicans. Many of them are from out of state. The university administration has been actively working to get those out of state and unregistered students to register to vote locally in Virginia because most of them come from home states that are solidly going for one candidate or the other. Their vote counts more in Virginia.

Anyway, not only is Liberty University registering all these new voters, it is also CLOSING THE SCHOOL on election day to give everyone the chance to vote, and it is driving the students to the polls.

Jerry Fallwell, the founder of the university, stated "Liberty University's 11,000 students and 4,000 faculty and staff could cause Liberty to become known as the university that elected a president!"

As a moderate, how do you feel about this?
Hmm seems like a loaded question to me. Then again I've already been accused of being overtly sensitive once today. Maybe I am.

I find this a very different set of circumstances - everyone knows what this school and Falwell are about. I cannot really see the comparison between this and picking people out of homeless shelters and off the streets. Sorry.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #88
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Its still an effort at stacking the deck, isn't it?
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #89
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Have you lot considered compulsory voting?

Down Under, you must turn up, get your name crossed off the roll, take your ballot paper into a booth, wave a pencil over it, and put it in the ballot box. (EDIT: There is no machine counting - poll workers do that by hand - but we almost always know who the new government is within 6 hours of the poll closing. There is a paper trail for a thorough count and any recounts that may be called for.)

It is also illegal to deliberately cast an informal vote, but it is a gazillion times more illegal to try to find out how someone else voted. So in effect, you have to turn up, but you don't really have to vote for any particular candidate.

Having worked at elections, a few people ( <5%) do this.

I like this because without compulsory voting, moderates are less likely to vote, while extremists are more likely, and extremist whackos (OMG, where did I get that phrase?) are over-represented in the final result.

The fine for not voting is $20.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #90
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Have you lot considered compulsory voting?

Down Under, you must turn up, get your name crossed off the roll, take your ballot paper into a booth, wave a pencil over it, and put it in the ballot box. (EDIT: There is no machine counting - poll workers do that by hand - but we almost always know who the new government is within 6 hours of the poll closing. There is a paper trail for a thorough count and any recounts that may be called for.)

It is also illegal to deliberately cast an informal vote, but it is a gazillion times more illegal to try to find out how someone else voted. So in effect, you have to turn up, but you don't really have to vote for any particular candidate.

Having worked at elections, a few people ( <5%) do this.

I like this because without compulsory voting, moderates are less likely to vote, while extremists are more likely, and extremist whackos (OMG, where did I get that phrase?) are over-represented in the final result.

The fine for not voting is $20.
Might work if we only used the population of Texas, sort of like you all down there. Not in this country. People love to compare our health situation to Canada, France, and esp the UK. Well you know what, combine all those populations and you still don't come close to the number of people in the US. You can't take a micro economy and compare the workable solutions to a macro economy. On top of the South Park would make lots of fun of you...