The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #3631
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I don't think we get confused sundae.

A break, a stage,a hall and drinks all have the same meaning here and since you used those terms within a very well drawn out context, it isn't hard to imagine, typed in English no less,so it was no great challenge to draw conclusions.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #3632
SamIam

The manager of the Bates Motel and her hubby are off to the big city for 4 days. They are leaving the motel hound, Carson, with me. Now, I like dogs. I think they're great. I've even owned a few dogs and loved them madly. But Carson has deep psychological problems. He ACTS like a dog who lives in the Bates Motel. He suffers from the most severe case of seperation anxiety I have ever seen. This manifests itself by non-stop whining 24/7 and attempted breaks for freedom everytime I open the gate between the front desk and the lobby.

I have tried in this order: Lots of petting and reassuring words; more petting and walkies; and still more petting and chewie toys paid for out of my own pocket. None of these work, so after about two hours of non stop whining, I finally lose my temper and give Carson a lecture about his bad behavior in a very stern voice. Carson knows he done wrong. He flattens his ears to his head and crawls on his belly toward me. I feel like a shit being so mean to him, but it's the only thing that shuts him up - for an hour or so. Then it all starts again.

I am considering giving Carson his own room. The one next to motel maintenance guy would be perfect.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #3633
casimendocina
Professor

It's emotional manipulation on Carson's part. You have to keep on showing him that you are the alpha male and he is only a pack member. I bet if you disappear for a bit after giving him a lecture and then come back, he will be incredibly pleased to see you.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #3634
casimendocina
Professor

Unlikely to be useful for this situation, but anyway:

I've read in a couple of different places that the more liberties you allow dogs, the further they think they are up the pecking order. One example was that if you allow a dog into the bedroom and onto the bed, they believe that they are the alpha male of the pack and will treat you as if you are further down the line.

For the same reason, apparently, a dog's food should be prepared before the humans eat their meal, put in a place where the dog can see, but not eat it (i.e.up on a bench) and then the dog should be made to wait until the humans have finished eating. Once the humans have finished, the dog should be allowed to eat, but for a period of 15 minutes only. If not all the food is eaten within the time frame, then the food should be taken away. The rationale behind this is that in the wild, a dog would have to wait its turn in the pecking order before being allowed to eat and then it would have one shot to eat. The opportunity to graze on the food wouldn't exist.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #3635
SamIam

Thanks for the useful information on canines, Casi. Carson was actually pretty good yesterday. I think he hadn't realized yet that Mom and Dad have abandoned him for a couple days. We'll see how it goes this morning.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #3636
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Casi's info is more helpful than my suggestion which would be to just let Carson go out and about. Let him follow his bliss.

When the boss comes back maybe Carson is there maybe not. I'm so sorry. (shit happens)

But that's just me.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #3637
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post

When the boss comes back maybe Carson is there maybe not. I'm so sorry. (shit happens)
Sam, is Carson like a member of the family to the motel owners?

Last edited by casimendocina; 07-13-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Carson ain't part of the i-products suite.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #3638
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

48 hours of work starting at 7 am, followed by 10 more at job 3. Ugggggg... It's going to be a long week.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #3639
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

have fun merc!! i know about those long hours!!!

sam, feed carson tylenol pm.

my phone was stolen last night. i replaced my a/c in the ford, again, only this time i documented it to post in the what i did today thread. now some crackhead can go through the pics and change his own gd airconditioner. if he has one. won't be mobile til at least tuesday afternoon. fmr.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #3640
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
I don't think we get confused sundae.

A break, a stage,a hall and drinks all have the same meaning here and since you used those terms within a very well drawn out context, it isn't hard to imagine, typed in English no less,so it was no great challenge to draw conclusions.
If you see a sense of humor in a yard sale, I suggest you snap it up! Whatever the price.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #3641
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Nothing PC about 'Keystage'. It's just a designation of levels.
but means nothing to anyone outside of that system.....

what levels? Why not name them something that outsiders can understand?

Sounds like a PC term to me.....
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #3642
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
sam, feed carson tylenol pm
Tylenol is toxic to canines I am sure you are not suggesting she poison this dog?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #3643
Nirvana
Back in 10

Some dogs just have bad temperament from random breeding. Some have separation anxiety and this is one product I know works on some dogs, I have rescued some that had this problem. Next time Carson's owners leave and want you to watch the dog suggest that they purchase this item so you won't have to accidentally do what F3 suggested
Thundershirt

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGQQ8wIwAw
Old 07-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #3644
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Tylenol is toxic to canines I am sure you are not suggesting she poison this dog?
nah, poor attempt at humor while pissed off about my phone being stolen.....
Old 07-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #3645
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
but means nothing to anyone outside of that system.....

what levels? Why not name them something that outsiders can understand?

Sounds like a PC term to me.....
It's not 'PC' it's just a technical term within teaching. Anybody involved in education understands the term. Anyone with a child in education understands the term. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to measure schools' performance when they're all on the same scale.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar