The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #61
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

See? NOW we're back to the <u>normal</u> crapola. All is well.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #62
lookout123
changed his status to single

uh, Marichiko - you start a war, you lose a war, you face the consequences. if you didn't learn your lesson, the consequences are more severe and last longer.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #63
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
uh, Marichiko - you start a war, you lose a war, you face the consequences. if you didn't learn your lesson, the consequences are more severe and last longer.
Yer Mamma wears combat boots! :p

In all due seriousness, a discussion of THAT aspect of things requires far more energy and thought that I'm willing to lend to the debate at the moment. You're welcome to start a whole new thread on that issue, though, and I'll most likely respond to it!
Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #64
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

Allow me to clarify...

I don't think that all muslims are terrorists, just like I don't think that all Irish Catholics are IRA, or South Americans are a part of the drug cartel. What I was trying to state is that the majority of violent acts around the world right now are headed by people embracing islam. We see violence in Iraq, Palastine, Isreal with rock throwing, bombs, RPG, etc. What we don't see, and this is one part I agree with mrnoodle, is the tens of thousands of muslims marching in the streets to take back the good name of islam. What we don't see is people ratting out their neigbors because they are busy making car bombs in the garage. What we don't see is a very loud voice of the muslim imams denouncing the violence. This to us in the U.S. paints a very grim picture of islam. It's all we have to go on. I will restate for the record though, this so called "war on terrorism" is not a winable one if we follow the road we are traveling right now. It has to be a change of mind-set among all muslims. Violence will do nothing but insight more attacks.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:44 PM   #65
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, I think it's a moral and tactical mistake to declare war on 1.3 billion people based on the actions of thousands or even tens of thousands. This was why I cringed when GWB used the crusade term after 9/11. 'Crusade' is as loaded a term for a Christian as 'jihad' is for a Muslim. His remarks probably had an upward effect on Jihad recruitment.

Basically, the response to terrorism is to let everyone know that there is no time limit on how long we will spend to track down those actually responsible. The Israelis went to a lot of effort to track down the Munich Olympic terrorists and killed 8 out of 11 with no 'collateral damage'. In doing so they made their point.

So far, we have invaded the wrong country and tied down 130,000 troops next door to where Al Queda was actually operating. We have incarcerated and sometimes 'strenuously questioned' thousands of terror suspects. However, we have had mixed results in shutting down actual terror cells in Europe and the U.S. Our intelligence does not have the experience with 'wars on terror' that the Israelis do.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:39 AM   #66
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

I stayed up till 1am this morning waitin hear i fmy brother was ok, he moved to London not three months ago, and was trapped down in the tunnell at Kings cross Station, his train was right behind another that was involved in the explosion i believe. He is ok now, very rattled.. but ok.

I have already lost one brother within the last 18 months, i didnt want to loose my only one left to some fucked up, selfish and totally wrong, i dont know what it is.. cult?

They have no right to interfere with our lives like this. i cant explain the helpless, horrible feeling in my guts last night.

there is no god.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:13 AM   #67
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz
...there is no god.
I'm glad you brother is OK, that has to be very frightening for you and your family. Sun, this is not God's work, but the work of the evil one himself. This has his fingerprints written all over it. I realize it is easy to blame God and his absence in justice and protection, but not everything of this world is of God. He is like our own parents, our own father. He wishes to protect us from all harm keep us safe, however, some things just slip by him. I know this sounds lame and weak.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:07 AM   #68
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

As a native Londoner who moved out to the West coast a few years ago I am so proud of my fellow Londoners. I was working in Cambridge this week and left there yesterday morning to travel home by train via Kings Cross in North London. I would have gone on from there to join the tube to Paddington via Edgware Road. The explosions meant I reached Kings Cross Station but was prevented by police from going any further, instead joined the hundreds diverted away from the station on foot. Thankfully I didn't hop on one of the buses being used to take people out of the area, it blew up a few hundred yards down the road. I heard it and just kept walking away away away. It finally took me eleven hours to reach home via Birmingham, a journey which should have taken about five, but I did reach home safely.

More than sixty years ago Adolf learned that the people of London could not be bombed into submission, a lesson the IRA entirely failed to grasp and they took almost thirty years to give up and go play in their own back yard. Living in a city used by every facist pig terrorist from every part of the world as a stage for their own foul game breeds a total contempt for these shits, not fear, not ever. I am nervous but I will be back there next week to lecture staff at Holloway in North London because we don't let fear win do we. No.

I saw people of every colour and creed yesterday, managing their fears and helping each other deal with the events they had either witnessed or been a part of. I can go walking on my beach this morning and 'god' has nothing to do with that, I was one of the lucky ones.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #69
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
because Lord knows their leadership had nothing at all to do with that.
You got that right. They were attacked by America for 12 straight years without legitimate cause. They never posed a threat to America. And an invasion of Kuwait (which used to be part of Iraq) has nothing to do with America. The U.S. Military is only here to defend America. Not oil supplies, not allies, not anything other than defending against direct attacks on American soils and ships.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #70
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzinZumerzet
Thankfully I didn't hop on one of the buses being used to take people out of the area, it blew up a few hundred yards down the road. I heard it and just kept walking away away away.
I was one of the lucky ones.
Glad you are safe. Thanks for checking in. I had no idea you were in London.

I wonder how Catwoman is? Haven't heard from her in months. Odds are that she is fine, but you never know.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #71
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
More than sixty years ago Adolf learned that the people of London could not be bombed into submission...
English people can't be hung either. They have no chins. They just slip through the noose. I was pretty shocked when I heard King's Cross was blown up. There must have been prostitute body parts all over the place.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #72
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
Crusades + 2 wars in Iraq + Afghanistan + putting people like Saddam, Khadafi, etc. in power, training Bin Laden, arming Israel = far more Muslims than any Christians killed in the WTC bombings, other bombings, etc.
Oh yeah. Those are hard numbers, those are.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #73
Billy
Professor

When will it end? What city would be the next? What can we do?
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #74
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Oh yeah. Those are hard numbers, those are.
Even with the most conservative estimate taking those things into consideration, would prove me right. I can understand that you don't like the fact that I'm right, but don't even try to claim I was wrong just because you're ignorant of history.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:29 AM   #75
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Go ahead and prove it then. I'm not going to accept handwaving as fact.