The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #46
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Such organizations can be as much a threat to individuals' liberties as the goverment. This "Heavy Trash" group is entitled to dislike gated communities, but their reasoning is silly, and their "dialog provoking" platforms are a pretty ugly violation of the privacy of the property owners.

What makes these people think the privacy-violating platforms are an appropriate measure? The fact that the people inside are rich, and think themselves superior to those outside? So what if they do? They are breaking no laws, and harming no one. Besides, that smug superiority is evident on both sides of the wall. The other reason is apparently that Heavy Trash thinks that gated-community-dwellers don't contribute enough to society:

Quote:
Gates and barricades that separate people from one another also reduce people's potential to understand one another and commit to any common or collective purpose.
So I guess their next action will be to point webcams into the back windows of any hermit-types they can find... because violating privacy is OK if it's for a righteous, society-contributing, dialog-provoking cause. While they're at it, I wish they'd put a platform like this next to my neighbor's fence... he won't let me cut through his pool area to get to the next road, forcing me to go around the long way. Dirty rotten fucker.

Being selective about which (and whose) rights we are willing to defend is the very mechanism that takes them away from us.

(No, I have never lived in a gated community).
Old 05-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #47
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Applause