The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: What temperature (in Farenheit)do you keep your house at (while you are awake in it)?
62 degrees 1 3.13%
63 degrees 0 0%
64 degrees 0 0%
65 degrees 6 18.75%
66 degrees 3 9.38%
67 degrees 2 6.25%
68 degrees 8 25.00%
69 degrees 3 9.38%
70 degrees 4 12.50%
71 degrees 1 3.13%
72 degrees 1 3.13%
73 degrees 0 0%
74 degrees 1 3.13%
75 degrees 0 0%
None of the above 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #16
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

63-4* at night or when we are at work, 65-66* in the day when we are home. We have carpet everywhere but our kitchen and workout area. I wear slippers and sweatshirts pretty much all winter to be comfortable. My husband wears sweatpants and a T-shirt. He is usually warm when I am cold. In the summer, I think we keep the AC around 70, but I don't really recall. I know that hubby always complains it's too hot...

*lower # if he touched the theomstat last, higher # if I have
Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #17
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
We're far enough North that ac is unnecessary in the summer. We get a couple nasty weeks in the summer and thats it.
I've been up there - it's not the heat, it's the humidity! When I've been there, other than dead winter and summer, you get the weather where you see your breath in the morning, sweat in the afternoon, then keep warm around a campfire at night - just the kind of weather that I love.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
Kitsune
still eats dirt

In the winter, absolutely nothing below 70F. In the summer, as high as 80F as long as the ceiling fans are running.

Yes, living in Florida for six years changes your temperature tolerance.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #19
rkzenrage

Low 70s.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #20
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I voted for 69 since that's where we have it now.. but usually 80 during the summer.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #21
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

We're at 68 most days - if I'm cold, I grab a blankie, if I'm warm, I take stuff off. (and then strangely, find myself under a blankie)

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #22
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
We don't leave the aircon on when we're not home.
For economy reasons or not liking to leave machines running when you're out or....?

We tried both turning the AC off in the day and keeping it on and didn't notice any difference in the electricity consumprion, so we opted for keeping the house cool/dry as it's so much nicer to walk into. We use the AC more for the humidity than the heat. A dry heat is bearable. When I say cool, I mean about 77F/25C.

My previous answer was for winter.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I would LIKE to keep my house at 65 degrees. Unfortunately, having an elderly mother in the household requires that the temperatures remain sauna-like at all times, probably around 75.

I do not expect to be able to use the flannel sheets this year. I'm roasting as it is, on the cotton.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:07 AM   #24
freshnesschronic
Professor

We should consider the rest of the world, not just Ameri-centric English units of measurement. Celsius in parenthesis at least, I mean it's what the rest of the world uses!
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #25
Mixie
Nitpicker

Living in a student room as well, I keep the heater somewhere in between 2 and 3. No idea how many degrees Celsius that is, though, let alone Fahrenheit.

But I always set the heater so that it's comfortable. I usually aim for 20°-21°, but if it feels too hot or cold then I adjust the heating accordingly (if I don't feel like putting on a sweater or something).
Old 01-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #26
Griff
still says videotape

here we go
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #27
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

My sweetie and I discuss this all the time. She can be freezing at 75 while I am melting. Really! She is a desert rat and needs her heat. I am a weenie who likes it between 68 and 70 only. Less and I am cold, more and I am hot. And I use dogs as bedwarmers.

Summer in Texas is gonna be...interesting.

I think her cold-bloodedness may be related to having a large area of skin to dissipate heat but it's barely even a theory...women are tough to figure out! Especially THIS one. Talk about blowing hot and cold....

Brian
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
We should consider the rest of the world, not just Ameri-centric English units of measurement. Celsius in parenthesis at least, I mean it's what the rest of the world uses!
See, that's how it starts. Oh well I guess, it really can't hurt in parenthesis.... writing the parenthesis is such a pain I'll just leave them out..... Oh, that's too confusing.... hell, I'll just leave the Fahrenheit off.
That's the slippery slope that predicates the total destruction of truth justice & the American way.

No, wait that was Bush.... never mind.

But I use Fahrenheit. I think in Fahrenheit. I write in Fahrenheit. Why should I stop and find a conversion table to translate Fahrenheit into Centigrade (Celsius) every time I write a temperature? Do I have to post the Kelvin numbers too? And what about all the other units of measurement?.... distance?... weight?... volume?

And every time I write bathroom I have to add loo?.. and water closet?.. and toilet? How about french and Spanish subtitles? Oh, Portuguese and Chinese too?
I guess I'll have to add American when I talk about football, yes?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:38 AM   #29
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Monster...mainly for energy conservation since we're not home during the hottest part of the day usually, so if we turn it on when we get home in the late arvo or early evening, we only need to run it for a few hours to cool the house, then the evening breeze usually takes care of the rest.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:04 AM   #30
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

71-72F in my house. But I have an excuse. There are few functioning veins in my legs