The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-10-2005, 11:53 PM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Somebody knows somth'in bout birth'n hurricanes

Here it comes folks. Tropical Storm #5 will hit Puerto Rico as a hurricane in only 100 hours. Anyone in Florida want to scream yet? Somebody said, "Head for the hills!" One problem. FL has no hills. RockyTop NC sounds like a good summer and fall vacation home. Or go live with The Cellar. Hurricanes never come to the Cellar... yet.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:18 AM   #2
marichiko

CENTRAL ATLC TROPICAL WAVE WAS UPGRADED TO TROPICAL DEPRESSION FIVE AT 11/0300 UTC. T.D. FIVE IS CENTERED NEAR 10.8N 42.9N MOVING W AT 10 KT. ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1010 MB. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WIND SPEED IS 25 KT WITH GUSTS TO 35 KT. SEE THE LATEST NHC PUBLIC ADVISORY UNDER AWIPS/WMO HEADERS MIATCPAT5/WTNT35 KNHC AND THE FORECAST/ADVISORY UNDER AWIPS/WMO HEADERS MIATCMAT5/WTNT25 KNHC FOR MORE DETAILS. T.D. FIVE IS WELL DEFINED AND IN A FAVORABLE ENVIRONMENT. HOWEVER...SLOW DEVELOPMENT IS EXPECTED. SCATTERED MODERATE/STRONG CONVECTION IS FROM 8N-13N BETWEEN 41W-45W.

Well, I'm not going to scream about it. Of course living in Colorado does wonders for one's blase' factor about such things.

Who needs hurricanes when you've got hackers, anyhow?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:05 AM   #3
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

I lived in Scarolina on an island for 3 1/2 years.. when the national guard came around trying to get us to put toe tags on we just laughed and had a party. ah, the good days! salad days..

Last edited by cowhead; 07-11-2005 at 04:06 AM. Reason: oops
cowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:11 AM   #4
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I was reading a yahoo news article yesterday about Dennis, and it said that emergency personnel were telling those people who planned to stay in the area against evacuation warnings to "write their names across their chests in waterproof ink to make identification easier".

I thought that was great.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Well, I'm not going to scream about it. Of course living in Colorado does wonders for one's blase' factor about such things.
I find it ironic that the expert on hurricanes, Dr Gray, is in Colorado.
The Tropical Meteorology Project

Meanwhile, Dennis is right on his predicted track. First to southern Ill. He should now turn sharply east to head for NC or NJ.

Dennis could have been a very destructive storm. The Carribean is ripe and warm early. There were no upper air currents to rip the roof on that storm. However just like Andrew suddenly intensified for reasons not fully understood; Dennis fizzled about 50 miles before hitting the mainland coast. Those who talk lightly about the hazards of these storms usually assume they survived a big one. If it was Dennis, then one suffered damage from what ended up being a minor hurricane. Currently no way to know that storm was not going to be destructive because we still don't understand the mechanism that so sharply intensifies or deflates these storms without warning.

I read somewhere that a person is convinced the storm will not be dangerous as long as he does not put on that toe tag. He says he can prove it. He's not dead. Amazing the religions that some people practice.

Last edited by tw; 07-11-2005 at 09:49 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
marichiko

[quote=tw]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marichikoWell, I'm not going to scream about it. Of course living in Colorado does wonders for one's blase' factor about such things.[/QUOTE
I find it ironic that the expert on hurricanes, Dr Gray, is in Colorado.
The Tropical Meteorology Project

Yeah, we got NCAR here and NOAA, and CSU has a pretty good department of study devoted to such matters. That's why the national forecasters can dispatch their predictions of doom with such sangfroid. Ain't happening here!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I'm looking forward to Dennis rain all day tomorrow... he best deliver because i think one of my trees is dying.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
I read somewhere that a person is convinced the storm will not be dangerous as long as he does not put on that toe tag. He says he can prove it. He's not dead. Amazing the religions that some people practice.
An ex-coworker and her family would rent a house on the beach in the Carolinas every year during hurricane season. On purpose. In the event of storm warnings they would refuse to be evacuated and would have an extra-big party at which they served Hurricanes as the beverage of choice and watch the storm approach. This included the year that the storm did hit and swept all the water out of the pool in front of the beach-side window wall of their rented home.

She was later found to be crazy. When she popped her noodle we quietly made arrangements for her to be admitted to another hospital. This is a service we cheerfully provide for our employees and their relatives.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #9
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

how considerate of you.
so your first choice in case we need to notify your current co-workers?

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:46 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

They'll have to find me first ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 07-13-2005, 01:14 PM   #11
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
They'll have to find me first ...
And remember she's armed and knows how to use a weapon!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If you don't see me, worry.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:34 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hey, wolf, who's the latest murder vic at your place of employ? Or has it been a relatively ho-hum summer thus far? No one dead in a basement? Come on! You guys can do it!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:13 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:55 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #15
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

ew boy. looks like i might be moving some airplanes! emily is way the F out there and at 90 mph winds and growing, also looking at the other data, i say between rockport and port arthur tx. oh, and a cat 5 when/where it does hit. hopefully in a sparsely populated area.
Attached Images