Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Gastric Bypass

My mom and Meme (grandmother) are both in the process of getting gastric bypass. Not because of their obesity, but because they are both diabetics who are now starting to lose feeling in their extremities, having kidney damage, and all the other fun things that go along with diabetes. There's research that shows that gastric bypass slows/stops the progression of diabetes afterward, and it also provides a very controlled lifestyle with regards to eating/drinking so that's good for the diabetes even if it doesn't go away. (No I can't link to that information, it's what I've heard from my mom/meme/the doctors as I go through this whole process along with them.)

The fact that this process can take up to a year where they have weekly sessions about the surgery and lifestyle after surgery and risks that go along with it, along with several doctor visits a month, and have had to go through therapy sessions to make sure they don't have "food issues" instead of an actual problem is enough for me to agree that this is a course that they have to take.

My meme is going in for surgery on the 9th, monday morning. I just was hoping for some good vibes from the cellar, to help her (and me) as she goes through it. My mom isn't due until july...at which point I'll probably be asking you again.

Thanks for being such wonderful people, and giving me a place to share my worries.