The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-24-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
lookout123
changed his status to single

But she's fat! Don't take my license, please?

HAHAHAHAHA
Should a Dr really have to apologize for telling an overweight individual that they need to lose weight for the sake of their health? isn't medical care and advice why you visit a Dr in the first place? I can see making a complaint if the Dr said "you're faaaaaaaat. not just fat, but ginormous. i'll bet when you lay on the beach Green Peace gathers around for rallies. Lose some weight fatass". but suggesting to a patient that being obese is going to kill them shouldn't really result in a complaint to the state board, should it?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

That woman has some serious issues... damn. I know it is a touchy subject, but jeez, if you're doctor can't tell you the truth who can? Would she divorce her family if they told her the same thing?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

melidasaur, as a lawyer, you'll never go hungry with people like this around (and I mean *around* [/rodney dangerfield])

Last edited by BigV; 08-24-2005 at 09:06 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

would she sue him if he told her she had breast cancer and should get it cut out for the sake of her health? what a moron. people like her should be told to piss off and not hassle people doing their job. no doctor in their right mind would tell an obese person that they are at a healthy weight and should continue with their current lifestyle to stay healthy

obese people (all of them) should lose weight. they dont need to be toned, muscley, magizine cover models. but they should try something to bring down their weight for the sake of their health.
Kagen4o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

there is a guy at work that was told by the doc that if he did not lose weight he would be dead in less than a year. he had a gastric (sp?) done and is losing about 45 lbs a month. he weighed so much that he'd have to get on a scale built by zippyt to weigh himself.
on another note, when my dad was alive he'd meet with a group called the TMLT or texas medical liability trust once a month in austin to review malpractice cases to see if they were legit claims or not. obviously this case would go to court. stupid fuckin' moron bitch.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:12 PM   #6
lookout123
changed his status to single

i don't have a problem with this woman (or anyone who is overweight) deciding it is not a problem they need to deal with. to each their own. as a guy with high metabolism who has been skinny his whole life, i don't have the right to pick on someone for a problem i've never dealt with, but the suit is ridiculous.

i can't believe the authorities are taking this seriously though.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:31 PM   #7
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
melidasaur, as a lawyer, you'll never go hungry with people like this around (and I mean *around* [/rodney dangerfield])
I know... and that's what scares me. I wouldn't take this case or anything remotely stupid. I thrive on common sense.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:02 AM   #8
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
HAHAHAHAHA
Should a Dr really have to apologize for telling an overweight individual that they need to lose weight for the sake of their health? isn't medical care and advice why you visit a Dr in the first place? I can see making a complaint if the Dr said "you're faaaaaaaat. not just fat, but ginormous. i'll bet when you lay on the beach Green Peace gathers around for rallies. Lose some weight fatass". but suggesting to a patient that being obese is going to kill them shouldn't really result in a complaint to the state board, should it?
Well, in the article it states that they can't say exactly what the doctor told the patient, but even if he said something like "you are so obese that I want to throw up just looking at you", I don't really see why the woman bothered with the complaint. She needed to lose weight. Maybe she also found out her doctor is an insensitive jerk. Fine. Go on a diet and find another doctor. There are more important things to go to war with the authorities over.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
itzBoo
Profitable Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Well, in the article it states that they can't say exactly what the doctor told the patient, but even if he said something like "you are so obese that I want to throw up just looking at you", I don't really see why the woman bothered with the complaint. She needed to lose weight. Maybe she also found out her doctor is an insensitive jerk. Fine. Go on a diet and find another doctor. There are more important things to go to war with the authorities over.
Who wouldn't be bothered if the doc said" you are so obese that I want to throw up just looking at you."? this is against his ethics. but yeah, hopefully the doc. didn't really say something like that.
itzBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:34 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The article isn't specific about what the doctor said. I've heard a lot of speculation about what the doc said (or rather what the patient claims the doc said) but no solid sources.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:11 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No matter what he said, if he didn't lie, she's an ass.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I fully expect that she's an ass.

People can be stupidly entitled at times.

There are strange kinds of vanity, even amongst the extremely obese.

"I'm not as fat as her."

"At least I'm smart enough not to wear spandex/chartruese/miniskirts. What was she thinking?"

There are no illusions regarding just how bad for you the extra weight is. Anyone who says otherwise should have shenanigans called on them. Just like the "Gee, I didn't realize that the last 40 years of PSA was intended to indicate that smoking was bad for you, give me lots of money" people.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #13
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse
Hiding behind a Belgian Chimay

I don't think I'd trust a doctor who DIDN'T tell me I was fat, if'n of course, I really were, indeed fat and all.
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any point. Bigotry, ideologies etc. block the ability to receive; robotic reality-tunnels block the ability to decode or integrate new signals; censorship blocks transmission." -Robert Anton Wilson
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:06 AM   #14
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

she's not fat, she's big boned.

Now there is a BIG difference between slightly overweight, and obese. I'd think if she were obese and he didn't say something, she'd be the type to come back with heart problems and sue him for not telling her she was fat.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #15
jinx
Come on, cat.

The OB that I went to when I was pregnant with my first told me I was fat and made me cry. I still get pissed off when I think about how mean that guy was.... f'ing jerk. He actually used the term "porked up". Now how professional is that?