The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Oooops

From here.

Quote:
Cheney Accidentally Shoots Fellow Hunter

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a companion during a weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, spraying the fellow hunter in the face and chest with shotgun pellets.Harry Whittington, a millionaire attorney from Austin, was "alert and doing fine" in a Corpus Christi hospital Sunday after he was shot by Cheney on a ranch in south Texas, said Katharine Armstrong, the property's owner.

He was described as in stable condition by Yvonne Wheeler, spokeswoman for the Christus Spohn Health System in Corpus Christi.
Well, that's one way for the GOP to take care of it's problem with lobbyists. The big question is whether or not Cheney will rush through tort reform before the guy wakes up and sues him.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I think it's terrible that someone got shot, but I just couldn't help laughing when I heard that it was big Dick that did the shooting.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
I think it's terrible that someone got shot, but I just couldn't help laughing when I heard that it was big Dick that did the shooting.
I guess we know the real reason for all of those deferments during Vietnam, the guy can't shoot straight. They were probably happy to let him stay home.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 02-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

lol...maybe
Old 02-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I think the guy was either a lobbyist or a contributor whose "support" fell juuuuuuuuuuuuust a little short this year.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

In the face.

Ouch. "Peppered pretty good" I heard it described.

Beestie, you crack me up.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Imagine the media if it had been Kerry. He was ridiculed for even going hunting!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #8
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Imagine the media if it had been Kerry. He was ridiculed for even going hunting!
No, he was ridiculed for dressing up in a brand new camo outfit for an obvious photo-op to try to give the fraudulant impression that he goes hunting a lot and is gun-friendly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3762770.stm

Cheney, OTOH, frequently goes hunting, and Whittington "...shot a bird and went to look for it in the tall grass, as his hunting companions walked to another spot where they found a second covey of quail. Mr. Whittington 'came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn't signal them or indicate to them or announce himself,' Mrs. Armstrong told the A.P." -- NYT

Not good hunting safety...but he *was* actually *hunting*...not primping for cameras.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Kerry's dressup was almost as humorous as Dubya's flight suit and "Mission Accomplished" drag show.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I wonder if Justice Scalia will be as eager to rejoin Cheney on his hunting trips? Imagine the confirmation fight over the his replacement if Cheney had shot him.

As for this -

Quote:
Cheney, OTOH, frequently goes hunting, and Whittington "...shot a bird and went to look for it in the tall grass, as his hunting companions walked to another spot where they found a second covey of quail. Mr. Whittington 'came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn't signal them or indicate to them or announce himself,' Mrs. Armstrong told the A.P." -- NYT
it brings up the uncomforatable choice of startling someone with a loaded gun or not letting them know where you are. So when Cheney wheeled and shot, did he do it with his eyes closed?

Last edited by richlevy; 02-12-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #11
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
No, he was ridiculed for dressing up in a brand new camo outfit for an obvious photo-op to try to give the fraudulant impression that he goes hunting a lot and is gun-friendly.
Perfect example. Now imagine that multiplied by shooting someone in the face.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:46 AM   #12
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
...it brings up the uncomforatable choice of startling someone with a loaded gun or not letting them know where you are. So when Cheney wheeled and shot, did he do it with his eyes closed?
If you don't know how to let someone with a loaded gun know where you are without startling them, don't go hunting. I'd guess Whittington was trying not to spook the game, but ended up concealing his presence only from the rest of the party. Quite possible that the reason that the covey flushed was that Whittington walked right into them.

I wasn't there, but It sounds like Cheny "wheeled and fired" while tracking an airborne target. At that time he presumably wasn't scanning the brush for hunters stealthing around in the aformentioned tall grass, and apparently caught Whittington with the edge of his shotgun pattern.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:59 AM   #13
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
So when Cheney wheeled and shot, did he do it with his eyes closed?
I wonder if he said "Go fuck yourself!"?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:01 AM   #14
NotAnAngel
A Newbie..again

You have to wonder if the old Judge isnt far better off having just been "Sprinkled" by Dick... I have a sneaking suspicion had HE been the one doing the Whoopsie Sprinkling, he would be lying in a morgue looking like dead perforated tea bag. I think Dicks circle of hunting buddies just shrank.. I say he restricts his hunting to Crawford Texas from now on.
NotAnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:02 AM   #15
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Kerry's dressup was almost as humorous as Dubya's flight suit and "Mission Accomplished" drag show.
If you fly in the cockpit of an S-3, you wear a Nomex flightsuit (and the other gear); it's required.

Damn, if I could catch a ride in an S-3, I would. Closest I've ever gotten is when my then brother-in-law (at the time a SAC navigator) bribed an Air Force instructor pilot with a bottle of cheer to give me (and my ex-, both of us pilots) an hour's time in a KC-135 simulator.