The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-21-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Harry Potter Book Discussion - SPOILERS POSSILBE

I saw in the other thread that people wanted to start talking about the book, so I thought why not start another thread.

I've read it, but don't have time to think about it today. I loved it though. Let the discussion commence... I'll chime in later.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

I don't know if I want to be the one to start the conversation... I still feel like I might ruin it for somebody.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I'm not concerned. There's a big fat spoilers warning on the thread title.

And even so, this post won't spoil anyone's appreciation of the story.

I love the little stuff that Rowling throws into her stories. The sections with Dobby and Kreacher gave me chuckles. And the snogging sections also tickled my funnybone. I think it was a reasonably accurate portrayal of that time of life when a kiss is what you longed for (and worried about).

I predicted way back at the end of book two that Harry would end up with Ginny (and of course Ron with Hermione). And I couldn't resist reminding my kids of that prediction while reading this one.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I thought the Harry/Ginny (I always thought of Ginny as way much younger) thing was a bit wierd ... but its nice to see that there are aspects of British High School that are just like American High School.

As far as the big finish ... I definitely need to read again. I had, of course, an entirely different impression of Snape and the way he is, so that all was a bit jarring.

Speculation is that Dumbledore was asking him to do that. Was or was not Dumbledore dying of poisoning at that moment ... and his focus was all about saving Harry.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
melidasaur

Maybe I'm in death denial... I associate the Phoenix so closely with Dumbledore and I am wondering if he will come back in the form of someone else. You know - a Gandalf the Grey, Gandalf the White thing....

From about the middle of the book to the last two chapters, I was convinced that Malfoy was now a werewolf. I even woke Michael up in the middle of the night to share my thoughts - he was pissed.

As for RAB - Regullus Black? I don't know...
Old 07-23-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

From what I understand (I don't read mugglenet, but I know people who do) JK Rowling is being very, very coy about that. I don't expect an answer ... after all, she wants to enhance, not impede, her book sales.

We also now know that folks may give themselves other names and titles ... Voldemort, Half-Blood Prince, etc. Like the Order of the Phoenix, R.A.B. may be a group of individuals rather than one guy ... A Brotherhood of men, bonded by all having had their left arms amputated ... could be anything really.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 07-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Trying to look at it as Rowling sitting by her kids bed telling the story, even though by this time the HP thing is probably far removed from those roots, I found it interesting. She tied good, not to everything you do, but to love.
Love, as in compassion and desire not to hurt people as well as regret if you do.

I think Dumbledore believed Snape would save him from the poison when push came to shove. That's why we were exposed to Snape's vow to Malfoys mother so soon in the book. Since the beginning of the series Dumbledore was always the fount of truth, justice and the wizardry way so we were told early on in this book that unlike the Pope, Dumbledore was fallible.

It's now been set up so in the next book Harry has to fight Malfoy who he has beaten, although I'm guessing Malfoy may turn out to be an ally.
Harry has to fight He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Fucked-With, who he has beaten and is only a seventh of his former self.
More worrysome is Snape who Harry has not beaten and is definately a powerful wizard.

It's always a let down to realize I've finished the book. Finishing the next one will be a real bummer.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Consider, though, that Snape could easily have blasted Harry to bits, or done him serious damage ... and he didn't. He just defended against Harry's attempts at Spells. While he was bound by the vow to save Malfoy, there wasn't any such thing in place with regard to Harry that we know of.

Of course, Snape could have loved Lily more than he hated James.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't be silly, if Snape killed Harry he'd get no royalties from book seven.
Granted Snape didn't try to kill Harry but he easily deflected everything Harry used to try to kill him.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
melidasaur

Wolf, I must thank you - you've shared some really interesting thoughts that I hadn't considered... I'm going to have to do a re-read soon... I really like the idea of R.A.B. being a secret society like the order of the phoenix.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:06 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You mean Lilly was really Helen of Troy?
Old 07-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #12
mrnoodle
bent

I'm one of those people who hate spoilers, but have to read them anyway.

I already knew Dumbledore was going to die, somehow. I bet Harry's the head of Hogwarts by the end of the saga, too.

Or dead, to make some kind of messianic sense.

Now I have to go read the book.....
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Or dead, to make some kind of messianic sense.
Like if he's one of those horcruxes that need to be destroyed.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:38 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
I already knew Dumbledore was going to die, somehow.
I know, I've been thinking "Well that's a no-brainer" ever since I heard about it. (DISCLAIMER: I haven't read any of the books, and only saw the first movie, and know next-to-nothing about the series.) When I heard the teaser "And someone's going to die in this next book," I said "It's gonna be the old guy." Because he's the mentor, the father-figure, the you're-ready-to-take-up-the-mantle-and-be-a-man-now-that-I'm-dead guy.

Killing pretty much anyone else would have been more interesting, IMHO.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:08 PM   #15
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

I guess I was just left in the dark. I figured one of the less important characters would die, but now that I know that Dumbledore died it seems to fit better. I was shocked at first though. I agree with Clodfobble in that now Harry can take over the hunt to destroy Voldemort since Dumbledore is gone. This makes me think that in the end Harry will die though. I mean, if he isn't going back to Hogwarts what is going to happen to him after Voldemort is gone? JK Rowling also said that she would not write anymore Harry Potter books after the 7th one, but she might write some backstory. It seems to me that it means there will be no more Harry to write about afterwards. Hmmm... so many things to ponder... so little time.

Oh, and the reason Snape didn't attack Harry was that he had orders to leave him for Voldemort. When Harry made him angry enough he did retaliate as much as he thought was safe. (He didn't want Voldemort to be angry with him) I wonder though, was the main reason he killed Dumbledore because he would die otherwise? He made the unbreakable vow to kill him if Malfory failed, so he really didn't have a choice. I don't like Snape anymore than anyone else, but I can't help but want to think that Dumbledore was slighty right in his views on Snape. But then again, he didn't have to make the vow. He knew what it involved and he did it anyway. So no matter what he is one bad dude. I was also suprised that Snape was the half-blood prince. He doesn't seem like the kind of person that would leave his old school book just lying about where anyone could read it. But he probably thought that no one would ever get in those cabinets.

I guess I will leave it at that for now, I will have more to say later.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote