Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-09-2003, 01:04 PM   #16
Rucita
Wiseacre Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

--You cited that 91% of your population is against the war, without providing a source. Hopefully, you do not put too much stock in those polls, as polls can be misleading.

http://www.cis.es/baros/mar2481.doc
question # 19, (20.8 + 70.0= 90.8%)

http://www.cadenaser.com/PaginasASP/...0224/index.htm
Go down until read “Ataque a Irak” and the read #1: El 94% de los españoles, en contra de un ataque a Irak. Cerca del 80% no respaldaría la intervención aunque tuviera el respaldo de la ONU (translate: 94% Sapanish population against the war in Iraq. About 80% are against the military operation even with U.N.O. support)

I’m a lawyer and I’ve read the N.U. resolutions, all them. My interpretation is that the war is absolutly illegal. But most of all I’m afraid this war will bring us more September 11th’s and I don’t want it. I hate terrorism. We in Spain have been suffered for 25 years and still suffer terrorist strikes from a terrorist group called ETA and by all this years we have observed that our own violence can’t stop ETA. I think there is no way to stop terrorism for all but education and politness (well, as John said, “you may say I’m a dreamer”... but I know I’m not the only one). I’d rather be gullible and believe that another world is possible and do as much as I can, as be in my hand to make the world a better place.

By other way the N.U. Inspectors have said that in the last month, before the war started, Iraq was begining to destroy its weapons of mass destruction, so why suddenly such a hurry? I’ve already read an interview to Hans Blix (in Spanish newspaper “El Pais”) and Blix said: “We could have taken control to the threat of Saddam with the inspections”. By the way, where are the weapons of mass destruction?

I really think we could have avoided the war.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:10 PM   #17
Rucita
Wiseacre Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by dave

If you want any help with English, let me know. I'm perfectly happy to show you what's correct and tell you why. (I think everyone should be multilingual, and to those that are making an effort to learn my native language, I offer nothing but assistance. Multiculturalism should be encouraged.)
I think like you too. Thanks very much for your helping, I sure really need it And I tell to you the same: if you need some help just call me
Old 04-11-2003, 01:12 PM   #18
Rucita
Wiseacre Emeritus

TO THINK ON IT

“Naturally, current people do not want the war, but really those are the leaders of a country that determine the policy, and to drag the people is one of the simplest things, or in a democracy, a facist dictatorship, a parliament or a communist dictatorship. With or without voice, always it is possible to put to people to the orders of the leaders. It is simple. The only thing that must do is to say that they are being attacked and to denounce to the pacifists by lack of patriotism and to put to its country in danger. It works equal in any country”.

Hermann Goering, Marshal of the Third Reich of Hitler
Old 04-11-2003, 11:49 PM   #19
juju
no one of consequence

Rucita, that has already been posted and commented on here.

What was that about us being uninformed?

Last edited by juju; 04-12-2003 at 12:11 AM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 12:04 AM   #20
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

In reading and posting to our Spanish peeps' website, one thing that concerns me is that many of these folks really don't seem to think that we "know the truth." Which is why they came here, I suppose...to bring "it" to us.

I discussed the media and our own biases in the war diary 2 weeks ago, but in reading the posts on CCLG, I'd say some of those folks are as biased as some in the pro-war crowd. We also touched on this in another thread that I'm too lazy to look for...

No, I want the Spaniards to see it...aqui.

The truth is somewhere between the two extremes. You're right. I'm right. You're wrong. I'm wrong. Fuck it, I'm gonna go get a beer...you want one?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 06:41 AM   #21
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Fuck it, I'm gonna go get a beer...you want one?
Do you even have to ask?
Old 04-12-2003, 07:13 AM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Hermann always had such a way with words, nicht war?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:01 AM   #23
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Do you even have to ask?
I had yours poured already, bro.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:58 AM   #24
Rucita
Wiseacre Emeritus

A new

Two inspectors of the equipment of Blix say that Powell lay before the Council of the UN

They deny that the photos presented/displayed by the North American Secretary of State proved that Iraq had arms of massive destruction
14/04/03

Two inspectors - a German and a Norwegian who comprised of the equipment of Hans Blix in Iraq blame the United States (the U.S.A.) to have sent numerous deceptions in relation to the supposed existence of arms of massive destruction.

In a news article that will tonight emit the first public television network German "ARD", the experts mention like example of that campaign of disinformation some of the details presented/displayed by the Secretary of State, Colin Powell, in their intervention before the Security Council of the UN the past day 5 of February.

In that meeting, that the U.S.A. used like definitive test that Sadam Husein continued having arms of massive destruction, Powell taught photos taken from a satellite in which supposedly Iraqian trucks of decontamination could be seen.

As much the German inspector, an expert in computer science that he prefers to remain in the anonymity, like his colleague Norwegian, Joern Siljeholm, that works in the Institute of Technology of Massachusetts, assures that the vehicles that were seen in the images they were tankers or cars of firemen.

"the decontamination trucks are a good example of a refuted testimony. It is not that we had not found the trucks, we found them, but they were not special vehicles but of storage of water or cars of fireman. In no case one was decontamination trucks, no matter how much the company says to it ", affirms Siljeholm in the mentioned news article.

Also the systems of ventilation in the tile roofs of factories that, according to the U.S.A., allowed to deduce that there chemical arms made, they turned out to be inoffensive, and in the buildings at issue armament of that type did not take place, assures the inspector.

After the experience lived on the land, Siljeholm reaches the conclusion that the speech of Powell before the Security Council was "false" and "deceptive".

"I believe that if the testimonies were analyzed, one would reach the conclusion that they were totally false", concludes the Norwegian expert.

Transaltion: google.com

Font: http://www.cadenaser.es/PaginasASP/N...icias=10045801
Old 04-14-2003, 07:37 AM   #25
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Hermann always had such a way with words, nicht war?
Ahem...

Ja, das ist <b>wahr</b>.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:26 AM   #26
Rucita
Wiseacre Emeritus

So, you agree with me in the lies of Collin Powell?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:48 AM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

No.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:50 AM   #28
Rucita
Wiseacre Emeritus

Sorry, I've asked dave.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:56 AM   #29
dave

Rucita - not really, but it doesn't really matter. I wasn't a war supporter anyway. I was sitting on the fence.

Now that it's underway though, I think it needs to get finished, and I think we need to win pretty decisively and, yes, set up a government that will do well by the Iraqi people.

My argument is not necessarily that the war should have happened for the reasons presented by the administration, but rather, now that it's underway, is it really so bad, what with so many people gaining their freedom?
Old 04-14-2003, 10:08 AM   #30
Rucita
Wiseacre Emeritus

Now it's underway it's not really so bad that some people gain their freedom, if they really gain it. It would be the smaller evil. I mean if I have to be happy about something on war is just about that, no more else. We could be mistaken, but our feeling here in Spain is that Iraqi people has gone out of a dictatorship to go into a new type of dictatorship, because they are going to be under and to depend on U.S.A.

Off topic, there are too much people, american but not U.S. people (like Argentine, Mexican, Canadian, etc.), that want you to don't name yourself Americans, because in the whole American continent there are so much countries than U.S.A. What do you guys think about it?