The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-09-2004, 01:00 AM   #1
Vindwyn
I love carbs!

What's the Worst Movie You've Ever Seen?

I'm sure this has been repeated before, but I'm new, so I didn't get to see the results.

In my opinion, the worst movie ever is Drop Dead Gorgeous. For those of you who have been lucky enough not to see it, let me give you a quick synopsis. A very "country" town has an annual beauty pageant. The winner of the pageant can compete at the state level, and then at the national level if she wins that. Kirstie Alley plays the mother who would do anything to see her daughter win the pageant. The two conspire and come up with an evil plan. This includes shooting one girl's potential boyfriend in the head. They also blow up the tractor another competitor is riding on. Finally, a huge beam falls on yet another candidate who is on stage.

Of course, Kirstie Alley's daughter wins the pageant, but, as she is riding on a float in the parade, the float catches on fire and she dies. Bad karma, eh? The float being super-flammable had something to do with Kirstie Alley having ordered it from Mexico.

Soooo...the girl whose potential boyfriend was killed ends up receiving the local title after the other girl's death. She competes at the state level and wins because all of the other contestants end up with food poisoning. So, finally, the poor girl makes it to the national contest...only to learn that it has been discontinued. The sponsor is bankrupt or some such.

This movie SUCKED. I've see bad movies, but this reached levels previously unheard of.

With that said, what is the worst movie that you ever saw and ended up watching the whole thing anyway?
Vindwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 01:34 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have a vast collection of incredibly bad movies I've seen all the way through.

A few highlights from my personal video stash:

Percy: British Comedy from the early 70s about the first successful penis transplant.

The Stuff: A tasty desert takes over the world. Michael Moriarity and Paul Sorvino were cast for Law and Order despite their appearances in this film. Garrett Morris obviously needed to pay the drug bill that month.

Mars Needs Women: Classic 60s SciFi romp. The title really gives away the plot, though. I love the scene at the planetarium where the tape breaks and Tommy Kirk gives the lecture about Mars. Why didn't Yvonne Craig catch on to his nefarious plans then??

Santa Claus vs. the Martians: Mere words can not express the badness

Edit to add: for a worst double feature, you can't beat The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Dr. Phibes Rises Again

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 10-09-2004 at 01:53 AM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:07 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Santa Claus vs. the Martians: Mere words can not express the badness
Santa Claus Vs the Martians was saved by MST3K---HILARIOUS!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #4
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

My vote is for Sleepaway Camp. When my friend told me about this movie, i thought she was making it up. She wasn't. It's about this camp where everyone gets killed and they are being killed by a girl who ends up having a penis at the end... www.sleepawaycampmovies.com - yes, there is more than one sleepaway camp movie. In 2 & 3, the penis is gone but the killing continues.

It's a horrible movie, but if you watch it with some good friends who have good senses of humor, it is a GREAT laugh!
Old 10-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
lookout123
changed his status to single

passenger 57. *shudder*
Old 10-09-2004, 10:54 AM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Never Been Kissed.

The movie whose moral is, "It's never too late to be popular with the in-crowd. Keep trying!" UGH.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #7
lookout123
changed his status to single

About Schmidt

Kathy Bates nude...
Old 10-09-2004, 02:36 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Santa Claus Vs the Martians was saved by MST3K---HILARIOUS!
Since I am truly fond of the genre of bad SciFi movies of the 50s and 60s ... there are many films that were done by MST3K that I saw beforehand. I had clean copies of The Brain The Wouldn't Die and War of the Colossal Beast.

For example, I was very disappointed by MST3K the movie, because I knew without checking that scenes were deleted from This Island Earth (which is actually not a suck-movie) to fit what was probably a studio designated running time.

I really LIKE that scene with the cat. It's even a plot point ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 10-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #9
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Percy: British Comedy from the early 70s about the first successful penis transplant.

Edit to add: for a worst double feature, you can't beat The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Dr. Phibes Rises Again
I saw a DVD of Percy a month or two ago at a flea market. Passed on it.

The Phibes movies are high camp just for Price's relentless scenery-chewing.

Worst I've seen in many a year: Superstar. My wife talked me into watching this with her, and there was one (1) laugh in the entire film, based around a gratuitous f-bomb that came out of nowhere.

That dethroned Spy Hard (which couldn't even be saved by the casting of Andy Griffith as an insane Middle Eastern dictator) as my all-time stinker comedy.

I have not had the heart to watch Baby Geniuses, but the fact that they actually made a sequel sends a chill down my spine.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 03:07 PM   #10
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Gigli and Cool World. I'm still going to counselling for those two.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:01 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Broken Arrow- Look just because you are Travolta and Woo and it is easy to raise money for a movie, you don't necessarily have to make the film.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Battlefield Earth. Just because you're a scientologist doesn't mean you have to make a movie out of the master's book.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:23 PM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I had to walk out of a movie with Kevin Kline (sp?) where he was supposed to have a french accent. His accent careened wildly from french to bronx to german. It was so distracting I had to walk out after about fifteen minutes. I think it was "French Kiss" or something like that.

You'd think that if they had the coin to pay him and Meg Ryan, they could come up with the scratch for an accent coach.

I thought he was great in "A fish called wanda",
Old 10-10-2004, 08:42 AM   #14
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

The Wind and the Lion.

You should really see this movie, if for no other reason than to hear Sean Connery play the Khalif of Saudia Arabia with a scottish brogue.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #15
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

"Firebirds" with Nicholas Cage and some other people. *The Worst (tm)* dialogue ever written.