The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

5/7/2005: Soldier comforts dying Iraqi girl

The entire first-person story

Quote:
Major Mark Bieger found this little girl after the car bomb that attacked our guys while kids were crowding around. The soldiers here have been angry and sad for two days. They are angry because the terrorists could just as easily have waited a block or two and attacked the patrol away from the kids. Instead, the suicide bomber drove his car and hit the Stryker when about twenty children were jumping up and down and waving at the soldiers. Major Bieger, I had seen him help rescue some of our guys a week earlier during another big attack, took some of our soldiers and rushed this little girl to our hospital. He wanted her to have American surgeons and not to go to the Iraqi hospital. She didn't make it. I snapped this picture when Major Bieger ran to take her away. He kept stopping to talk with her and hug her.

The soldiers went back to that neighborhood the next day to ask what they could do. The people were very warming and welcomed us into their homes, and many kids were actually running up to say hello and to ask soldiers to shake hands.

Eventually, some insurgents must have realized we were back and started shooting at us. The American soldiers and Iraqi police started engaging the enemy and there was a running gun battle. I saw at least one IP who was shot, but he looked okay and actually smiled at me despite the big bullet hole in his leg. I smiled back.

One thing seems certain; the people in that neighborhood share our feelings about the terrorists. We are going to go back there, and if any terrorists come out, the soldiers hope to find them. Everybody is still very angry that the insurgents attacked us when the kids were around. Their day will come.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
wah
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Wow.

I hadn't seen the larger version of this.

Wow.
wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

This is indeed a striking picture. I saw a much smaller version of it this morning and my first thought was that it would make a good IOTD. Seems that I was right, but not fast enough on the draw to get it to you ...

Speaking of which, I've sent along a couple, but don't know if they ever made it to you. What's the best address to send IOTD candidates to?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

probably undertoad hat cellar dot org these days.

I really want to build a submission thingie some day, but you know.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It.
My sentiments, exactly. This pic also reminds me of the Oklahoma firefighter holding that baby girl who died in the Ok. City bombing. Evokes the same feelings, too.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think part of what makes this an effective picture is that because we don't see any easily identifiable part of the child, it makes her all the children.

I remember Bayley Lee Almon too, and did think of her when I saw this picture, her and numerous other innocent victims.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:11 AM   #8
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

My biggest problem with these cowardly car bombers: They do their twisted deed and kill themselves instead of giving us the pleasure of retribution. If only we could capture them live..........then we could take them to Paris Island, S.C. and turn them loose for graduating Marines to hunt down like the goddam sickass dogs they are. It would be great practice for the recruits and at least some justice (however minute) could be served. That would transform their completely worthless carcasses into almost completely worthless carcasses.
How fuckin selfish of those bastards.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The girl's name was Farah.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

A friend and I were waiting for Sahara to start at the theater and we were discussing whether we belonged in other countries doing what we're, ostensibly, doing. In most cases, no, we don't belong there, but there are times, and I'm not a person of extravagant sentimentality, when it's time for some people, and possibly a whole people, to try the next turn of the wheel.

Rwanda, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Kosovo, Iraq, any people where there is such a disconnect from humanity that it allows such actions just... need... to... go... away...
Old 05-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #11
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

What a sad photo, I feel very sorry for that soldier having to see all these horrible killings. Get those bastards.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:41 AM   #12
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Children die in legal wars, too.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman
Children die in legal wars, too.
True, but not usually by the hand of their own countrymen. Of course, Saddam's regime was known to torture toddlers to make their parent's talk.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #14
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

I was more pointing to the iniquity of people who kill children than pointing fingers.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:48 AM   #15
magilla
Belt Conveyor

Damn all wars

There have been some pretty amazing, disturbing, humorous, and emotional photos here. I have looked at every single IotD in the archive.

None of them made me weep- until now.
magilla is offline   Reply With Quote