The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-22-2001, 10:01 PM   #1
mbpark
Lecturer

Cool

Hello!

I finally got around to putting that quad-channel Advansys SCSI controller in a PC yesterday.

I grabbed a pretty well-used Pentium Pro 200 with 128MB RAM and a free drive bay, a Seagate Barracuda 9GB SCSI-2 HD, the controller, and a Mandrake 7.2 CD. Windows 2000 hates it, and will not boot from it, BTW. Not that that's a BAD thing now. It also has the cheap Number Nine Reality 332, but it's good for X at 1024*768*32 .

However, Linux-Mandrake 7.2 autoinstalled the modules needed, and I had myself a fully functional Linux box without the CPU demands of EIDE (of which there are many).

KDE2.0 is bearable on this, meaning that it runs faster than on one of the Celeron 400's I put it on, and it doesn't slow down on disk access. SCSI makes a world of difference. This is a good little Linux play box for the money.

Bruce, that was a darn good deal! I've got a DDS-3 drive and the Cuda running off of it, and it's a fast machine!

Do you have anything like this for Ultra2 or Ultra160? I think the sister will need it for her 18.2GB Cheetah 10K and SCSI DVD-ROM drive I am putting in for her!

Thanks again for a device that truly kicks butt and is superior.

Mitch

mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 05:59 PM   #2
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by mbpark
Hello!

I finally got around to putting that quad-channel Advansys SCSI controller in a PC yesterday.

I grabbed a pretty well-used Pentium Pro 200 with 128MB RAM and a free drive bay, a Seagate Barracuda 9GB SCSI-2 HD, the controller, and a Mandrake 7.2 CD. Windows 2000 hates it, and will not boot from it, BTW. Not that that's a BAD thing now. It also has the cheap Number Nine Reality 332, but it's good for X at 1024*768*32 .

However, Linux-Mandrake 7.2 autoinstalled the modules needed, and I had myself a fully functional Linux box without the CPU demands of EIDE (of which there are many).

KDE2.0 is bearable on this, meaning that it runs faster than on one of the Celeron 400's I put it on, and it doesn't slow down on disk access. SCSI makes a world of difference. This is a good little Linux play box for the money.

Bruce, that was a darn good deal! I've got a DDS-3 drive and the Cuda running off of it, and it's a fast machine!

Do you have anything like this for Ultra2 or Ultra160? I think the sister will need it for her 18.2GB Cheetah 10K and SCSI DVD-ROM drive I am putting in for her!

Thanks again for a device that truly kicks butt and is superior.

Mitch

You know, I've been using personal computers for over a decade, starting with an Atari 400 and moving up. I have installed and configured numerous pieces of hardware and countless operating systems, peformed hundreds of hours of troubleshooting and repair, not counting what I do at work. While I was actually able to deconstruct and understand the previous post, the sheer density of technospeak per normal english word temporarily threatened to drive me to Luddite-hood.

Richad "The maxi-foople co-linear sub-prime redundant accelaration matrix will be slightly delayed" Levy
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 04:25 PM   #3
editor
Neophyte-in-training

Quote:
Originally posted by mbpark
Hello!

[much detail snipped]

Mitch

Sorry Mitch, no spare SCSI stuff these days. E-mail me with the exactly what you're looking for your sister's box and I'll see if I can come up with something.
editor is offline   Reply With Quote