The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

camcorder

anybody have a recommendation for a digital camcorder? I don't want HD, and it appears that the flash memory is the best storage solution. Anyone love theirs and want to recommend it?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I detest mine. Video quality is horrible. Three years old, though. I would not buy another Samsung.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Spexxvet

Thanks. This is the leader, so far.

http://www.samsung.com/us/photograph.../SMX-F44BN/XAA
Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
glatt

Won't your digital camera take video? If you don't care about HD (and presumably image quality), then why not just use a digital camera? My 5 year old digital camera takes pretty good video. Only problem is it won't zoom during recording.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Spexxvet

My camera is getting old - it's like 6 megapixels. And it takes really, really crappy video. I was hoping to get a camcorder and use it as a camera, too, upgrading both once. For Father's Day.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
glatt

It's funny how these electronics gadgets cross over into each other's domain.

I take pictures with my phone now more than my camera. And videos with my camera more than my old camcorder.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Spexxvet

You must have an outstanding phone. Mine only records video for about 20 seconds at a time.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
Bitman
cellar smellar

Sanyo FH1

I love my FH-1, but it's HD (actually a step up - 1080p60 - which is why I got it.) It can do standard-def, but its automatics suck, so you need to plan ahead and pre-set the camera to get a good shot. It also has awesome low-light performance.

I can suggest two things though: You need to decide whether you want good stills or good movies. The FH-1 takes good stills, but they're *always* a little noisy, and my old 4 MP camera does much better. Still cams take very good movies, but never have quite the power and flexibility of a dedicated movie cam. So buy the camera that's the best at the one thing you want, and as good at the other as you can afford.

The other suggestion is to make sure it has threads for add-on lenses. You might never buy one, but it's nice to have that option if you need it. I got a "non-distorting" wide-angle for the FH-1 since the camera, when zoomed out, is still a little too zoomed in.

Oh, and:
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Last edited by Bitman; 06-16-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: links
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitman View Post
I can suggest two things though: You need to decide whether you want good stills or good movies. The FH-1 takes good stills, but they're *always* a little noisy, and my old 4 MP camera does much better. Still cams take very good movies, but never have quite the power and flexibility of a dedicated movie cam. So buy the camera that's the best at the one thing you want, and as good at the other as you can afford.
That's disappointing. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Spexxvet

Imma but this today

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail...rce=igodigital

Quote:
JVC Everio HD Flash Memory Digital Camcorder
Model No: GZHM30BUS
Our Price:$198.67
SRP: $229.99
Save: $31.32 This HD Everio camcorder has an SDXC card slot, offering high-quality HD video ideal for web sharing on YouTube™ and Facebook. Also features 40x optical zoom, Advanced Image Stabilizer, up-convert for 1920x1080p output, and Intelligent Auto for best picture quality, whatever the scene.