FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2003, 07:17 PM   #11
ChrisD
Poker Pariah

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar
Urbane, your naiveté reveals your ignorance regarding history and our government. It’s not a matter of me being a “Blame-America-Firster” because I’m not. It’s a matter of me placing blame where it belongs. If America weren’t using our military to bully other countries around and to practice imperialism, we wouldn’t be having these problems.
Yes, other people, who perhaps have no say in the matter, would.

Quote:
Unfortunately for you, there is no flaw in my argument because none of the attacks you mentioned were on the part of Iraq, funded by Iraq, planned by Iraq, or connected to the Iraqi government at all. In fact Iraq has never funded, harbored, trained, or supported anyone who has attacked America. The sole purpose of the American military is for the DEFENSE of American soil and ships. Not to police the world, not to tell other sovereign nations what weapons they may or may not own. Not to overthrow the leaders of other nations or to make “regime” changes. Not to practice imperialism. Not to defend any nation other than our own. You conveniently left out the fact that Iraq has never attacked America ever, but they were the victims of unwarranted and illegal attacks on the part of America in 1991. After that they were starved and kept from medicine. They were told they couldn’t fly planes over their own country, and bullied for 12 years by a nation that has no legal or moral authority over them.
It seems as if we keep coming back to this, while I feel like you haven't really addressed the issue of the original Gulf War. Do you honestly feel as if Iraq marching upon Kuwait, regardless of the "almost" reasons I addressed in a previous post, was a legitimate action? That we were somehow in the wrong to assist Kuwait from the occupation by the Iraqi military? That, by consequence, we were wrong to enforce the terms of that treaty by which the Gulf War was ended?

You make an excellent chain of transitive connections, but your original premise is flawed, or at least you believe differently that most about what really happened 12 years ago. Can you explain that for me/us?

My only other comment to you Radar might be to attempt to hold off on the ad hominem regardless of what others might say. While I'm inclined to agree with them :p , we can keep this from being a 12-year-old mud slinging INTARNET FITE GR0UnDZ!! if we all try to stay mature, right?
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote