The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #16
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Was there anything about the map that McCarthy didn't like which led him to accuse Gropper, or did he have other issues with Gropper, and was annoyed at seeing his map everywhere?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #17
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

"What more do you need?"
Page 232.

This is what I missed on my first searches:
http://www.vox.com/2015/3/20/8265497...n-folklore-map
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Was there anything about the map that McCarthy didn't like which led him to accuse Gropper, or did he have other issues with Gropper, and was annoyed at seeing his map everywhere?
As far as I can tell they were just using the map as a lead in.
You made the map - you got money for it - you gave the money to commies - why do you hate America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
"What more do you need?"
Page 232.
Sounds like you are looking for the documented story behind each tale, rather than a Cliff's notes outline. You may, with some research, find A written down version, but I think you'll never find THE version. These folklore tales are lies, repeated many times by many people to entertain. Like jokes than generations keep using, they change continuously in the location and details. Even tales in books, like Paul Bunyan and Babe, were told and retold a million times before somebody wrote their version down.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #19
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Nope, only looking for the page that is missing from your "Sissy" link above.
I think it probably contains a significant part of the "lone wolf's" story.
You insult me sometimes, Bruce.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You shouldn't be insulted, ever, by me. I never intentionally do that except in response to the same.
I do however say what I think, which I suppose insults some people.

The deal between Google books and the publishers is they leave out chunks of the book. That was people can read enough to perk their interest, verify it's what they're looking for, but not enough to not buy the book. I'm pretty sure you know that, but I'm not interested enough to spend $20 for the book, and not interested enough to pursue it passed the premise.

The main reason for pursuing it are in my last post about being lies and anything in writing is just a snippet in the legends history which I find frustrating, YMMV
Old 03-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #21
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Most tales and legends have a theme.
I guess the theme around the hardscrabble quarrymen is that they are so outrageously bad that the meanest, jaguar riding, rattlesnake whipping, bar chomping, canned good whole eating, eight foot guy you ever met is too soft to hang with them.
It seems that the legend comes mostly from one source.
I wonder if it is more widely known in Indiana (Mike Pence country)?
There were few stories on the map that I didn't have some familiarity with and even fewer I'd never heard of.
This one got me.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #22
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Here is a little bit that may be on the elusive Page 232, from "The Tennessean" Nashville, January 30, 1949.
I still wonder if this tale was not nearly as wide spread as the others on the map.

"He made for a shoe store and bought some brogans and then the hardware store to get a mess of tough roofing nails. He hammered the nails right through the soles of the shoes before putting them back on. "That's the way 1 like it," he explained, "it gives you a good grip and all you got to do when your foot itches is to wriggle it around a bit." His next errand was to the barber shop to get prettied up, but of course the barber had to go borrow the tinsmith's shears to cut his hair and the plumber's blowtorch to give him a shave. Then the saloon. The bartender knew enough to get down his strongest brand of fortyrod. Some of it sloshed over on the bar and ate through the varnish, but it failed to please our tough friend. "None of that bellywash for me. I'd as soon have a pinky, sticky ice cream soda with a cherry on it Gimme a prussic acid cocktail with a little sulphuric for a chaser." After tossing off a few the visitor got in a better humor and began amusing himself by spitting on the floor and burning holes right through to the ground underneath."
Old 04-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No wonder they called him a sissy.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #24
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

There are tough little bugs called Tardigrades (aka water bears and moss piglets), about the size of the printed dot on an I.
They can survive temperatures of near absolute zero and hundreds of degrees Fahrenheit. They can live at pressures greater than at the Marianas trench and on the highest mountains. They can go for years without food or water. Astronauts took some to the ISS and let them outside; they were fine after an extended stay in the cold, heat, vacuum and radiation.

I've heard that the Hardscrabble County Quarrymen keep tardigrades the size of St. Bernards for pets.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's a badass pet, ugly, tough, practically indestructible. I sure hope they're loyal.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:49 AM   #26
SPUCK
Professor

Think of the mess they leave... Must be like epoxy.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
Nope, only looking for the page that is missing from your "Sissy" link above.
I think it probably contains a significant part of the "lone wolf's" story.
You insult me sometimes, Bruce.
Jim I discovered why you can't find the elusive page 232, it's the US Department of Justice. It's a long but interesting read about Google, Authors Guild, and American Association of Publishers, worked out a win win win deal but the DOJ killed saying it was beyond the acceptable grounds of a class action suit. Damn shame.