The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thanks for taking the time to be snazzy.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #32
Pigpen
Jotter of Notes

Did you know that these babys wii take about ten years to grow to the size of a hardcover book if they are fed well. Our babies spent the first yearon our bedroom window shelf with an incandescent bulb to keep them warm and metabolism up so will eat and grow. gets too cold and they just sleep.My wife has had some adults for over 48 years and we are told they can life to be 150 to 175 years. They tend to outlife the resarchers so maybe 200 years would not be out of the question. These are pets thatyou must bequeath in your will. They adults make great mobile landscaping rocks also. They are about 20" long by13" wide and 5"high.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:08 PM   #33
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How many of these do you have, Pigpen? How about posting some pictures for us.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:12 AM   #34
Ibby
erika

The dude who owns the best pizza joint in the world has two massive tortoises in the restaurant... one of 'em is 45 cm long (at least), and easily weighs as much as I do. He is well fed on vegetable scraps and pizza...
Old 06-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #35
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

My 12 year old son is buying a turtle. Of course he thought that meant going to the turtle store, bringing home a turtle, and keeping it in a box, when he's not all over it. I told him I have an unused fish aquarium set-up that he can use. I, being anal compulsive, researched on the net and found that it takes a bunch of gear to care for a turtle. A lamp for basking, a light that gives off UVA and UVB rays, water heater that can't be damaged by a turtle, etc, etc.

Can a turtle owner please give me some realistic guidance on what it actually takes to care for a red eared slider?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #36
Ibby
erika

Turtles carry like, too many diseases to list. Many of them extremely dangerous to humans.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #37
Pigpen
Jotter of Notes

First thing to be aware of is there is a big difference between a tortoise, a terrestrial herbivore' and a turtle, amphbious omnivore. We do not do turtles in our ring of tortoise lovers. Turtles are more aggressive, slimey and tend to carry diseases like salmonella if not kept in an optimal environment where they can not dine on carrion. We have four tortoises. Two were raised from babies and the two adults. their up keep is pretty easy once they get about five years old or better. they are allowed to cruise around the fenced backyard. As herbivores they can live on moist lawn grass. They do not drink water and all their water requirements are met from what they eat. They love plums, apricots most other fruit. We really do not have to feed them but Janice, my wife, spoils them. She actually packs the fridge with iceberg lettuce for the big guys; Johnboy and Petunia; and hearts of romaine for the little ones; Raisen and Putt Putt. We sometimes get in mildly heated discussions on the cost benefit of buying them lettuce especially when lettuce starts hitting $1.50 or more a head. Thats when I suggest she talk to the local store produce manager to save scrapes for them( which they have done in the past as this is a small town) but she thinks that is icky and keeps buying the lettuce for her loved ones. At that point I just internally grumble knowing I am the relative newcomer here since we have only been married 31 years and they have been with her for almost 49 years. But relief comes in late October when the lettuce price is the highest and they go into hibernation till next spring. During that period they do not eat at all so all is well. They are good for your blood pressure since they move slowly but determined on their course. I would provide pictures but I do not have a digital camera and would need help with that if I did borrow one. Note I am a relative newbie to the cellar. buy the way Saturdays picture post is of a turtle..not a tortoise
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #38
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Is it true that all turtles are gay?
Old 06-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
At that point I just internally grumble knowing I am the relative newcomer here since we have only been married 31 years and they have been with her for almost 49 years.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #40
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
Is it true that all turtles are gay?
Bi.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh happy days. We don't have to eat them, 'cause some guy has figured out how to turn them into booze.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #42
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Ew. Beef bouillon beer? Pigwine? Uh, no thanks, I'm not that thirsty.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #43
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
At the risk of sounding um racist, am I not surprised that this is a japanese invention?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #44
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

tulture.

sorry. couldn't resist.